1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Sister Priya

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by KiranD, Aug 19, 2008.

1. KiranD

KiranD Senior IL'ite

There are hundreds and thousands of women who are worth admiring, some women have changed history, some has changed the fate of a nation or a region, while most of them provide love, support and make men surrounding them a better person. My life or rather my thinking, my attitude and outlook on life was changed for the better by my sister Priya, she probably did not think her words would have so profound effect on me as she said some things when she was 8 and out of frustration but her words brought shed light on the important things in life and I changed and I am and forever will be thankful to her for that..

After trying unsuccessfully for 7 years my parents decided to adopt me, I was only six months when they adopted me. I was in my new home for about three months or so that my mother found out that she was pregnant. Back in those days adoption was not socially accepted and my relatives tried their best to get rid of me but my parents did not budge. They decided to give me more love than their own child, they vowed to keep me happy at any cost. A couple of months later Priya was born, I was almost 2 and of course do not remember my earlier days but as I grew older I noticed two things, my parents were nicer to me than to my sister but my relatives treated me differently.

My relationship with Priya was that of a typical brother sister relationship, we loved each other but got into fights as well. I was confused on more than one occasion by my parents behavior towards me – I got more things, they took my side and overall I had it made and I was happy about that but other people’s behavior made me mad. I wished everyone would treat me as nicely as my parents.

My parents could sense my anguish and I am sure they debated about their decision but when I turned 9 they told me that I was adopted. I did not know how to react, it all made sense now but instead of being grateful I became mad at my parents, I was probably angry at my biological parents but took it on my parents. Everything that I claimed to be mine was not mine, I felt like a guest in the house, their kindness felt like an unwanted favor. The more I tried to get away from them the more they tried and we entered into a cycle.

Another thing that I noticed was Priya’s attitude towards me, she always looked up to me and almost worshipped me but I noticed that she appeared mad at me, she acted like she got the short end of the stick I was not sure if my parents had talked to her about my adoption, under normal conditions I would have talked to her but at that time I was too occupied with my problems to worry about Priya’s problems.

When I was 11, Priya and I went to my mama’s place for summer vacation, my Mama disliked me and had a soft corner for my sister. One day while playing with Priya I accidentally broke an expensive piece of showcase figurine. My Mama was mad, he said
    “Can’t you be more careful, look at what you did. Its never the same – outsiders will be outsiders, they will never take care of you and your things like family members do. Priya would never do such a thing”
    I was not sure what hurt more, the fact that I destroyed something expensive or his words, he did not stop there, he decided to get Priya involved
    “Priya I have noticed that you have been mad at your brother recently, has he been bothering you as well?”
    My innocent sister said “I am mad at him because he is adopted and he is special”
    I was hurt even more, it was not my fault that I was adopted, I wanted to storm out of there, I wanted to leave everyone in my life, they all made me mad, my mama said
    “You are mad at him because he gets everything inspite of being adopted right?”
    She said “No I am mad at him because he is adopted and I am not – I wish I was also adopted, my mom told me this recently that I grew up in her tummy but my brother grew up in her heart. I want to be the one in her heart not tummy”.
    My uncle left us without saying anything and Priya continued with her play routine but those few words brought a lot of things in perspective. I realized then how lucky I was to have grown up in their hearts, and how lucky I was to have parents like that who gave more to me than their own flesh and blood.
    Those innocent words that came out of Priya’s mouth changed my life forever. That incident was 30 years ago, today I am married with kids and so is Priya, our parents have passed away and we live in different countries but we are as close emotionally as we were back when we were kids.

sindmani likes this.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kiran,

Accept my Bow salutation over the net !! I was emotionally touched by your words.

I could imagine the child's mentality from your words, while declaring to him/her about adoption.
    "Everything that I claimed to be mine was not mine, I felt like a guest in the house, their kindness felt like an unwanted favor. The more I tried to get away from them the more they tried and we entered into a cycle."

Admired the words of Priya to Mama :
    She said “No I am mad at him because he is adopted and I am not – I wish I was also adopted, my mom told me this recently that I grew up in her tummy but my brother grew up in her heart. I want to be the one in her heart not tummy”.

To have Priya has a sister is a bliss !!!!

Keep it up !!!

sindmani likes this.
  3. Shuba kutty

Shuba kutty New IL'ite

Hi Kiran :hiyaI felt like crying when you said that when your parents showed love on you, the other relatives were trying to get rid of you! I'm happy that you have tried getting the good things out of life and have listened to your younger sibling :clap It's a very sweet lesson that she has taught you! Loved reading the post...keep posting :thumbsup

4. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Kiran

I was moved to tears reading the story, especially the words of Priya when she said that she was mad that her mother carried her in her tummy and the brother in her heart.
    Thank you so much for this story. Bow

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Kiran....

what more than :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown... I am at loss of words....

Even though its an innocent child statement, its loaded with so much meaning and I can imagine, how you might have felt hearing it.

You are blessed to have such parents and a cute sister.

God bless you both !!

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi Kiran,
    that was just wow..adoption has always been a topic close to my heart......Blessed u are to have such parents and sister...JUST LOVED IT...
    MINDI

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kiranji,

You sure had everyone fooled here, making them think this was a real story.A Twister in the second story too eh !

Kiranji Kab Sudhrogi aap ? For Indusladies give straight blogs, HAHA.Great one ,loved it.

You know I was wanting u since long to come to Indus, but I had 6 male bloggers come in, and well I was hesitant about asking u, I am shy with females, u know Kiranji.You friend Bhiku Bhaiya has a way with women, so I asked him if he knew u, and he said, yes yaar abhi lo, and glad he brought u here.

Enjoying <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Indus</st1:place> ? let me know.See 3 of my bloggers have left, and 3 are left, so my ratio is not good.

But as u can see I am very comfortable here, the king of all that I survey.HAHA.Nice people, they love me, but they love Bhiku more.Im sure Bhiku has emptied all his pockets on Raksha Bandhan day.I am so happy for him.

Take care.Regards.kamal

8. anushakmurthy

anushakmurthy New IL'ite

Very touching one...
    Those words of Priya about Tummy Vs Heart is something I have not heard off but makes soooo much sense....!!

9. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear KiranD,
    That was a wonderful post.
    My elder daughter has adopted a baby girl wh is the apple of oue eyes.She is God's gift to us.
    My daughter says the same words,"Other children grow in their mummies' wombs where as my daughter has grown in my heart.I have no words to tell you,how moved I was reading your account of your parents' love for you and how you and your sister have become very close.
    God bless you both.
    love
    mithila kannan

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
    sindmani likes this.
  10. maithreyi

maithreyi Senior IL'ite

Hi Kiran,

Excellent.

My friend too adopted a girl child some five years back. Now you won't believe it they are so...close to each other.

You are blessed to get such a family.