1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Island in Every Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vidya Arun, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

There is, or should be, an island in every life. A place where your real life stops and another one takes over.
    Visualization techniques often include imagining a place where you can relax and be happy. When one is really stressed, it is even more stressful to try and imagine such a place. One struggles and becomes more tense. Then, one berates oneself for the struggle and the tension. These are replaced by self-pity—why must I be so stressed that I cannot think of a ‘happy place’? Finally, the self-pity is replaced by resentment. And the visualization technique has been utterly counter-productive. Some people drink or use drugs to lead them to that happy place. I cannot imagine what either feels like, but I know that the comedown from that high is difficult.
    The island I am advocating is a different kind of escape. Let me tell you about my island.
    I chanced upon my island at a time when things were really hard for me. I might have expected a resting place and a place to gather a few exotic samples, but what I received far exceeded that.
    When I am on my island, I am surrounded by warmth. People are charming. I am charming. The conversation sparkles and all wits are quick. All movement is slow and time stops still. The breeze is constant, if heavy with the scent of sea-salt and fish. The sun is balmy, never cruel. And in the moments that the fans stop moving and the sight of everyone sweating profusely messes up this idyllic picture, you can hear your heart beat. You know you are alive.
    On my island, I am a quick-witted, charming woman who by and large, says the right thing at the right time. I am not clumsy and I am not entirely clueless. More importantly, as small as my island is and as fleeting as is my time on it, my heart seems to expand with much love when I am there. Every emotion is more intense and every minute more precious in that fullness. I know, I know, without a doubt, that I am alive, every part of me. And I know that I can live forever in that single minute.
    I am kind and I am generous. I am expressive and I am articulate. And yet, on my island, I remember how to be gauche and awkward and speechless, because I am awed, and I am shy, and I am swept off my feet. I know my lines and I recognize my cues. I can be wide-eyed, and I can be shrewd. And when the time comes, I can also surrender. Without consequences. On my island, it is safe to be alive.
    It is not so much my island that I love, as who I am on that island. I reinvent myself and yet, I am who I most essentially am. Indeed, the more I become that person that I love being, the more myself I am. And the more I love who I am—on and off the island. And that love is my island. Not a place, not a person, not a state—it is that gift of loving the me I see in the clear lagoon waters of my island that I treasure the most.
    And I am not a set of qualities and attributes. I am the things I say, the way I look, the way I look at things, the feelings I feel and the thoughts I think. On my island, all these are wonderful. Their wonderful-ness is reflected in the eyes of the wonderful people around me and what I see in their eyes is what my own eyes are reading—as in a mirror. I look, I turn, I look, I pat my hair, adjust my glasses, peer at my eye make-up and I see reflected my own self-love, "Yes," sigh, "I am wonderful."
    Not vanity, not ego, not pride. Just a loving acceptance of my self. As it is. And the celebration that is that acceptance.
    I treasure my island. And return to it, again and again and again, in search of myself and that moment of self-love.
    Every life should have an island. A place, a relationship, a context, a dress or a day-dream that provides a safe space for that self-love. And if you are lucky, and you treasure your island enough, the chasm between your island life on the one hand and your real life on the other, will one day disappear. You will find your island self is the one that lives your real life, and that the magic of your island life dusts the dross of your every ordinary day. But until that day, every life should have an island.

Your thoughts friends……….

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Vidya dear
    Excellent written thread.. I am hoping there is place for me on your island.. but that would defeat the purpose of this thread right?
    I truly admire your writing skills and your concepts.. This is an incredible thought process.. one that all of us benefit from.. And like you say the gap can be shortened between our island life and reality..
    Our island like you say so well is a source to rejuvenate our minds our soul and as a consequence our body too!
    Thanks for writing so well on a thought provoking topic.. I feel so rewarded to have read your write up.. will update you how my island is developing in the near future as you are without doubt my honored and esteemed mentor:)

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Vidya,
    Once again another topic regarding self...which is important isn't it.. without the self nobody is alive...
    That's why they say when you day-dream, 'don't be in your own world'..
    From your narration, I feel that 'own world' or the 'island' is necessary to overcome our stress in our daily life and feel rejuvenated to face the reality..
    So I am going to create an island and see the difference...

Thanks for making me think on these lines..

sriniketan

4. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear AC

Your presence will jewel my island. When people like you live closer, i guess i would never visit my island at all.. Well i think i am too young to be your mentor for i always wish to be your 'Yours meekly Mentee'

Glad you liked the post..

Love
    Vidya

5. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri

My dad always praises once existence in this world and that's what motivates me to write so much about Self..Your lines were so full of life..Very nicely said.. Yes everyone needs an island in this materialistic world.

Thanks for your mindful note and i am really glad that you liked the post.

Love
    Vidya

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya

As always, loved your writing that rejuvenates the reader.
    For me, a quick island would be the hammock on my patio provided there is shade.
    When I moved to the US, I had so much time that I used to watch a lot of Tv shows.
    I saw Gilligan's island in which one of the characters would be happily lazing in a hammock tied between two trees. Ever since then , I have liked the hammock.After many years, I have one now. Lying on it and reading a good book relaxes me until the phone rudely wakes me!

7. Vidya Arun

Vidya Arun Senior IL'ite

Dear Usha

You know what i envy your island..Yes what more one needs than a pleasant seating in a hammock and reading your favorite book. I used to do it many times too but these days time runs faster for me balancing work, vishal and some of my frequent travel out of state. This post was on my way back from Newyork and my flight was delayed by 2hrs..Did'nt know anything better to do than write a post for IL..

Hey i too love the gilligan's island..even know the title song byheart. Want to know?? will send you a copy if you wish too.. ha ha..

As always thanks for your lovely feedback.

Love
    Vidya

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,
    Wow! is the word that all of a sudden tops the list of all possible words to appreciate your wonderful piece of writing.
    Your writing is a rare piece vidya - using the most poetical language to give the most practical psychological advice to us. Priceless words of wisdom.

The conversation sparkles and all wits are quick. All movement is slow and time stops still.

On my island, I am a quick-witted, charming woman who by and large, says the right thing at the right time. I am not clumsy and I am not entirely clueless. More importantly, as small as my island is and as fleeting as is my time on it, my heart seems to expand with much love when I am there. Every emotion is more intense and every minute more precious in that fullness. I know, I know, without a doubt, that I am alive, every part of me. And I know that I can live forever in that single minute.

Not vanity, not ego, not pride. Just a loving acceptance of my self. As it is. And the celebration that is that acceptance.

And you have produced quite a lot of quotable quotes which drives the message in with a great force.

And as I finished reading I started looking into my "island." The place where I have been frequenting for the last ten years. The place where I go when I am happy and ecstatic, the place where I go when I am sad and depressed. Yesterday was a good example. There were heavy rains and all planned outings got cancelled. Had an unplanned time of about an hour. Took a flight to that great island.
    People were waiting for me. Kamla, Kumar, Vidya, Arun and a host of other people were looking up to me for directions. For the next 60 minutes I felt like God. Making them speak my heart and do my whims. To express love and to scheme things. To do whatever I order them to so that my GFs can have a good 7th episode.

When I came out of the island, my beautiful wife was waiting for me with a wonderfully laid out dinner.

Cut cucumber pieces sprinkled with pepper and salt, two idlies smashed into an unrecognizable mass along with home-made chilli powder, about twenty "navva pazham"(incidentally what's the English word for that?) and a banana fruit cut into pieces.
    As I ate my food I felt like staying in my island for a few more minutes.
    That "island" is a conceptually good visualisation. You should copy right it Vidya.
    Love,

9. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,
    I loved your post, Vidya.
    I believe my best self is an island within me. That is my source of power and to discover it, I first had to believe in myself!
    My belief is the root of my strength and it is the best endorsement, I give myself!
    That is one place where I do not bother if others resent me or if so, that disappointed me.
    There, I imagine, I accomplish every job, I undertake successfully, to my satisfaction.
    Strangely, I do not receive a less favourable comment from my worst critic! My usual worry, whether I am doing the right thing, does not arise at all and hence I do things only right.
    I am my own person only there – I am not a daughter, spouse or mother or with a tag .
    I imagine, I am smart, I am efficient, I am good company, I am adorable – no bar to my imagination.
    But, believe me, Vidya, that relaxes my mind so much that my positive vibrations increase and that helps me immensely when I come back to “normal life”!!
    Love,
    Chithra.
    Let me tell you something, now, Vidya. I had written a blog on this very topic! But now I will not post it, knowing that it will be no patch on or match to your beautiful words.
    Besides VR has asked you to "copy right " it as well !
    With this post, you have done a [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    What can I say?
    You have set me on a lovely reverie at the end of which I came out feeling that I was not as bad as I made myself out to be! In fact at the end of my trip to my little island, I found myself lovable though for only a fraction of a second! Like Walt Whitman, I too felt that " I dote on myself, there is that lot of me and all so luscious"
    My return to the terra firma of reality from my dream island was as shocking an experience as Dorian Gray's upon seeing his aging portrait.

You know Vidya, when I read this exquisite post of yours, I was a little reluctant to write my FB. There are certain things that should be enjoyed in awe and silence. Your post is one of them. And not acknowledging such sterling stuff is even more blasphemous!
    You have a way with words as a master sculptor will have with a piece of stone.
    Sri

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008