1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mattran Veetu Aditi Devo Bhava

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Aug 9, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Ilites,

Aditi Devo Bhava
    which means - Treat the guest like God and serve him/her.

This is a traditional practice of Hindus from Vedic age. But in today's metro life we get less opportunity to practice this. Fortunately we have few special occasions where we get an opportunity to serve and honour the guests. To name them few - Navarathiri, Family functions like Wedding etc.

Now we are in the month of Aadi (Tamil month) which is considered to be very auspicious and the activities are associated with Goddess and of honouring "Sumangalis" (Married women of whom husbands are surviving).

If it is a Friday, it is much more auspicious being "Aadi Velli" (Aadi Friday). I am able to see lot of activities carried over in many houses in Chennai.

Even Aadi Pooram is considered to be a special day of Aadi month where women celebrate the day by distributing "Colourful Glass Bangles" to their counterparts and express their respects and honour.

Well, I would like to narrate an incident where an ordinary woman taught and made me understand what is meant by "Aditi Devo Bhava".

Yesterday myself and my mother happened to visit a very distant relative in Mandaiveli, Chennai. She was staying in a housing board right next to Bus stand where most of the residents belong to slum. I was wondering how she is able to manage her living in that area surrounded by people who were not from her community.

As we were entering the block, we saw a lady standing near the staircase. She kindly enquired us to whom we were about to visit. When we spelt the name, she immediately gave a call looking towards the top floor saying loudly, "Kala, you have got visitors, please switch on your verandah light."

She guided us to our relative's home. It was dark and raining outside. While we were about to leave the place, the same lady came inside rushing fully drenched. She offered us "Malli Flowers" and asked us to wear it on the head. She said that being "Aadi Velli" we shouldn't be sent without offering flowers and kumkum and thus she ran to the flower shop nearby in the heavy rain and bought some flowers for us.

The whole beauty of this incident is - That lady is an absolute stranger to us and she lived in the second floor of that block. We being guests of somebody who resides in her block was highly honoured by this neighbour lady which is quiet unusual in this era. We were deeply touched by her kind gesture.

To be frank, having the neighbours from the same community to which we belong, I should say 'they weren't helpful" and hardly speak to us. Point to be noted, we are not of that type. And when we happen to see somebody honouring us who is unknown to us - it was a delightful experience.

She sets an outstanding example for - ADITI DEVO BHAVA or should I say "MATTRAN VEETU ADITI DEVO BHAVA" (One who honours even the guests of neighbours).

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja

Good post. Nice to hear about the lady who was a stranger but still honoured
    you. It is very difficult to find such a lady in the present world. In some places
    people staying next door dont know about them and dont bother to help.
    Wherever there is flat system this is the problem. Though some buildings
    are there where the flat people are very co-operative and helpful. Actually
    it depends on the lady of the house as men are usually out all day.
    I also like to honour sumangalis but at the same time though I dont give
    kumkum to a widow but give her chandan , coconut and plantain, as I feel
    they might feel depressed seeing others getting attention. My sis in law
    died during the month of adi and that too in 2005 on July 27th when there
    was heavy flood due to rains in Bombay. So every year my brother in law
    has Sumangali Prarthanai on the next day itself. This time I told him
    I will take care of the Sumangali Prarthanai. So I only bought the nine
    yards saree, pavadai , and blouse pieces to give the ladies who sit for
    Sumangali Prarthanai and also bought comb, mirror , bangles etc.
    Felt happy I could give the ladies and that too the Sumangali Prarthanai
    came on a Friday.

Viji

3. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear vanaja,
    very nice thought by this lady.
    thanks for sharing.
    regards
    pavi

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

vanaja,
    Nice to read your snippets after a long time...
    The situation you had described is a rare thing, maybe shall we say, that act is vanishing..
    :bowdownto that neighbour of your relative...it is because of such people, we enjoy this world...

sriniketan

5. srinivasan_vanaja

Hi Viji,

That was a noble thought of honouring widows. I too feel the same like you.

Sumangali Prarthanai is purely a home oriented function where you get a chance of honouring your own people and others of your community. The ultimate goal is to please the Sumangalis. So, you celebrated this Aadi month being a special host of Sumangali Prarthanai :).

6. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Pavithra,

Thanks a lot for your FB. I think we should not consider her gesture as a mere "thought", I feel it was spontaneous.

7. srinivasan_vanaja

Sriniketan,

You are absolutely right. Generally I love people. That too these kind of people make me more happy.

When I say I love people, I love them for all the goodness in them. Normally I get an intuition when I see or interact with somebody that the person is not my type or I just cannot get along with the person, so I just keep a distance.

8. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Mam..

Its really surprisng and nice to read that a stranger offering flowers that too she bought in rain....:bowdown

My mom used to offer flowers from our garden to the neighbours and to for the women who come to our home....on fridays....Me too, when i was in chennai would buy flowers for me and my maid every friday.... We all do this for known hearts...
    But that woman;s act is really touching one !!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  9. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Brindha,

Yes, it was really touching. I couldn't take it as an ordinary gesture and that is why I have expressed it in this forum. Thanks for the FB.

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja
    Thanks for sharing.. Not only did you share an experience which you are aware is quite rare.. but you have also given hope in an otherwise bleak world..
    I have always felt the random acts of kindness has a true purpose in life.. for us to realise and relive those moments with God.
    And very often I have seen these wonderful people ar humane from their hearts and most often than not are not even well off. Maybe thats why we are able to see God through them:)
    Keep writing..