1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What do you see in the mirror?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I have to look at the mirror shortly after waking up.. not for vanity reasons but to brush my teeth. Before you think I will not know where my teeth are situated in my big face.. its just habit. To look in the mirror and brush my teeth.
    My motherinlaw taught me the habit of getting up early in the morning, then light the pooja room lamp , then LOOK in the mirror. She even kept a hand mirror there.
    But I digress. So when I look in the mirror in the morning, in my half woken state, even I get scared at the reflection.
    My first thought ofcourse is how does my dh BOLDLY see me and even manage to live with me? He must be a different stock.. the bold type I mean.
    So at that time of looking at the mirror, thats all that runs through the mind. And ofcourse I do entertain the notion of going back to sleep or pretending sickness??
    During the day when I look at the mirror, my mind usuallu functions like a normal person after a cup of steaming hot coffee.
    Then What do I see?
    I first see a mother. Its been ages when I only saw a wife. Long before that I only saw a daughter.
    Now no longer do I see someone who can make up excuses and not do work.. I have responsibilty. (Thats a big word and please note I spelled it correctly!)
    So I first see a mother. I always feel the wear and tear.. meaning stress and difficulties can easily be seen on a person. Be it on their face or body or both.
    Compared to someone who has had an easy life.. their face might look younger adn they might look as if they have it made. Me not so.
    As a mother I see my work in front of me. Then I see a wife. Who supports her husband. Sometimes I do see a daughter. Not that my parents have taken a back seat. But caught up with day to day issues and work, it does happen the daughter in the mirror does not come up so often.
    Sometimes I see a friend. Then I try and help any friend who is in need.
    I am yet to see a mother inlaw when I see myself in the mirror. There seems to be a long road ahead. But when that day comes I hope to see a mother and a friend as I would rather be that to my new daughter inlaw.
    Then ofcouse will come the day when I see a grandmother. Then I will see a friend, a loving and doting mother and an open arm grandma too.
    But I will always see a mother and a wife.
    How about you? What do you see when you see yourself in the mirror, my friend?

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Different facets !

Dear AC,

A contemplating topic ! Even though you've started off with your style of humour, it has been well induced with the different facets and philosophical aspects of a woman ! Well portrayed !

First, I must say, I was in splits when I read this line....Big Laugh....only you could do that...

As for me, I see a mother first and then wife, didn't even realise when this transformation happened..somehow...felt it was only years back...when I looked in the mirror...I saw a daughter & sister (for 2 brothers).

Of course, I am still a loving daugter to my parents & inlaws too ..and an affectionate sister to my brothers and SIL's !!

But, as you rightly pointed out, since our priorities change in life, so do our facets !

I would like to add, being a mother too undergoes different changes at different points.....like, being a mother to an infant,toddler,kid, then teenager (which is supposed to be the toughest part) Big Laugh..then later on grown up...wherein comes the role/face of a mother-in-law & grandmother eventually.

But, I must confess that I thoroughly enjoy all these phases/faces and look forward to see the changes in my face (hopefully in a positive way)

Of course, in all these roles, being a friend is encompassed throughout ! That really is an amazing and fulfulling role for us !!

While penning this down..some quotes come across my mind, which I would like to share with you...

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Age is a matter of feeling...not of years.

Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.

A hundred men may make an encampment, but it takes a woman to make a home

So much of our time is preparation, so much is routine, and so much retrospect, that the path of each man's genius contracts itself to a very few hours.

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Dear AC mam,

A beautiful thought. and the reply given by Krithika is wonderful.Never given it a thought before and in this way.I too see myself as a mother first,then a wife ,daughter and sister,a friend.True ,responsibilities are always on the top.

regards

meera

4. Anandchitra

Re: Different facets !

Dear Krithika
    Thank you dear.. You have written so much better.. as we go through life transitions do happen and this does get reflected on the mirror!
    Those are truly quotable quotes!

5. Anandchitra

Meera
    Like you say the responsibilities do take priority and thats the reflection we see.

6. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely post! You know what? What you have said in a few words is that you see life's progress, you see the river of life. And the mirror alone can reveal to you in privacy the greatest drama of all -- LIFE.

You have inspired me to write something along similar lines. May be sometime later. Since few people read me, it doesn't matter how long I take to post it.

Once again, this was truly good.

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,
    That is something to ponder upon!!!
    I see myself as a wife and mother and also daughter and sister. Not to forget myself in the role of a friend and colleague. All of us I guess would put family first and then we play so many roles when situation demands. Makes me remember the lines " All the world is a stage".

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC,
    An innovative post portraying the roll of a woman! Enjoyed reading it,
    Love,
    PS

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear AC ,
    that was just lovely....on the different roles we play....now i bet tomorrow my first thought will be how bold my dh is to have seen me like this for the lst 20 years...loved your humour...and yes responsibility seems to be the first in priority now and it is there to stay...will it end after the children settle down and we are just a couple..wonder about that...
    Mindi

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I see a bleary eyed, unshaven , very sleepy person whose brain remains frozen until thawed by a cup of strong coffee. Then I see a father harrying his kid to get ready for school, a husband who in his turn, gets harried by his wife who wants him to rush with his morning chores as both of us have to get ready for work..