1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorces

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Divorces

Yesterday’s Hindustan Times 30<SUP>th</SUP> July 08, had a rather very interesting Article.The heading read

10 DIVORCES CASES PER DAY IN THE CAPITAL

And a photograph accompanied the article, of Sheela Dixit, with Shabana Azmi, during the inauguration of a pre-martial counseling cell at Delhi Secretariat.

What surprised me was the choice of Shabana Azmi for the counseling.Let me recall what I remember about Shabhana.She is the second wife of Javed Akhtar.Before her marriage, her list of Boyfriends is long. I can recall half a dozen on hand,Here goes,

Uday, Shekhar Kapoor,Benjamin Gillani, Shashi Kapoor (during the making of her first commercial movie Fakira, which almost broke Shashi’s marriage), Vinod Khanna (during the shooting of Shaque), and a few more of whom I don’t recall now.

Now there is nothing wrong in having a long list of Boyriends, one must have the art of attracting them, or looks.As they say, if u have them, flaunt them.Look at Rekha,( Shotgun, Amitabh,) marriages to Mukesh Aggarwal of Hotflame (committed suicide within a few months of marriage), and Vinod Mehra, Look at other stars, so it is the trend really , for these filmstars, not a problem their life it is.

But can Shabhana be called to a marriage counseling session for the married couples.How can she justify her second marriage, and a string of boyfriends to the couples who are in trouble.Sheela Dixit should have emailed me to ask about Shabhana, and I would have given her the details.Bad Choice really.

Now coming to the marriages, and why they fail.At the counseling they found out that a few causes are the mothers of the bride, who tell the bride to tell her husband to separate from his mother , and live separately.

Another reason given was the lack of tolerance among the partners.And there can be so many other reasons, like flirting at the office, bcs of the close proximity with collegues of the opposite sex, could be one could meet bloggers of the opposite sex while blogging, and u know what, a lot of things can happen these days.So reasons are many.

What I want to know is , why is there a need to get married for both the boy and the Girl Did not somebody say “ Getting married for Sex, is like buying an Aeroplane to get the freebees like a Car” or something to that effect.

I am an old fashioned Guy, I married the girl shown to me by my parents, same with Harsha, and we have stuck together for close to 30 years.We do have our differences of Food, religion, and other matter of which I have written so many times, so no use going into them.But we let each other be, without turning each other into copies of each other, by changing one another into a clone.We give each other space to do our own things, and in the happiness of Harsha lies my happiness, even if I don’t exactly agree with her views.We are both mature enough to let each other flower.

I cannot understand why today’s marriages fail.Before marriage the girl knows, she has to change her 3 names after marriage, that she has to shift with her husband, share the income with his, buy property together, pay EMI’s together,have sex and raise children.

Both know that the other will love his or her own parents more than the inlaws,as also brothers and sisters more than brother in law and sister in law.That u will see the natural and ugly physical side of the partner when u get up first thing in the morning, that both have to take care of the house,and the kids together.

Then where does the problems come ? What is intolerance ? that he or she talks more to the mother than the mother in law ? That the husband likes to goof about with his male friends sometimes, rather than sit with his wife ?God knows there could be so many more reasons too.

And don’t they say, there can be only one Captain to a Ship ?If neither is willing to let the other be captain, then it is the case of Too many cooks spoil the Broth ! The question then boils down to , is why do u want to marry at all in the first place.What is there in a marriage, that u cant get otherwise ?

You can adopt a kid, like Sushmita Sen did, or have one without marrying like Neena Gupta did from Vivial Richards.Sex is not a problem outside marriage.and with Girls earning well these days, she can pay her EMI from her own Earnings, without having to depends on her husband;s share.

Husbands too must learn that today’s woman is not the doormat of the previous times.Today she is educated and Savvy, she earns well , at times more than the hubby, and she is as able as him.Why not give and take, rather than take stands, or let ego’s come in .Take her as your equal , give her due respect, and respect her decisions in financial matters too.After all marriage is like a cycle, where both wheels are needed to run it smoothly.If one tyre is punctured u cant move the bicycle.

But what I cant understand is having Shabhana Azmi giving lectures to couples in trouble.Sheila Dixit must be getting senile.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, I think Shabana is a damn good choice.Why should she justify becoming the 2nd wife of Javed Akthar? What matters is she accepted his children as hers unlike the stepmom of TV soaps, fairy tales and movies. And since she has a rock-steady marriage with him she must know the secret of th successful marriage. Just the right person for counselling would be couples.

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    In earlier days divorces were unheard of. Now is it on the increase because of the stress that the couple undergo between balancing work and home.The starry folk in the film world walk out of a realtionship and into another within a few days. Kareena and Shahid, looks like Katrina and Salman are heading for split. Aishwarya and Vivek Oberoi, she just waked out on him and I read somewhere that he got an sms from her calling it off . Beats me how they be that callous. It takes lot of effort, understanding and adjustment to make a marriage work.

4. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamalji
    A thought provoking article.
    The situation of divorce is ironic as in past genration they married most of the time a unknown girl chosen by parents & relatives and the divorce rates were minimal.
    Now boys & girls they are asked thier choice before marrige ,get to know each other before marrige proplerly in most of the cases or go for love marriges and what in only few years or months they proceed for divorce.
    There are many regions but as you pointed out that intolerance, self-centered attitude & egoism are mainly responsible.
    May be in some cases undue interference of parents (both sides) may be the cause.
    It is again ironic that mothers advises daughters to get separated from in lows as son as possible & when thier DIL comes it is just opposite.

About Shabana you do know their Life story very well :hiya

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Wonderful post.You have put down all the points so well.The solution is simple, but its only one's choice whether to accept the solution or not.

Great post!

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear kamalji,

i loved your post.......u have expressed it all so simply...how marriages work and why some fail.....reminded me of the quote that life is actually very simple, it is we human beings who take it so seriously and mess it up...i have always liked shabana and wondered how feminists like her would spoil some other womans life.....and concluded like balajee that since she has stuck to this one man ,probably javed was already not happy with his marriage....the other woman is not always to blame....
    regards
    Mindi

7. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Kamalji

I guess it is 'time'. Once there was no TV or computer and kids spent their time playing with simple toys and wandered among trees and read books. Todays kids cannot spend time without TV and computer and video games. Attention span is reducing as the time available for leisure reduces. People talk of quality time and quality at work and quality in all products they use. Now they want quality in relationships too. Compatiblility and chemistry with the partner is important with minimum adjustment. 'Life is short' are the buzzwords and nobody wants to spend their time with a partner who is not happy or is growing too slowly. Like an employer told me when he justified firing an employee from the job.' I am saving his time. He was not growing here and would have stagnated and remained unhappy. I have released him to enable him to find better opportunities elsewhere. Life is short. One must not hamper another persons progress by holding on to him'

And regarding Shabana Azmi, it is better to have someone who has made mistakes and survived them, to advice others rather than someone with a spotless reputation who may not have had that many problems, to enable her to understand those with a lot of problems

Santosh

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji

The divorce in the present world is because the girls do not adjust and as
    they are well educated and earn well they want equal right. After marriage
    if they divorce u can understand that there must be some problem with
    the couples. But now a days some of them separate after engagement.
    Our friend's daughter did not marry the guy she got engaged as he said
    that she should be economic after marriage.In another case the marriage
    was fixed on |February 1st. Half the people were invited but the marriage
    did not take place as the boy told the girl not to go for parties in the night.
    Its kaliyug na anything can happen. Previously girls' parents used to
    go to the astrologer to find out when the girl will be married but now
    boy's parents are struggling to get their son married.

with love

viji

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Janani,

Yes it takes a lot of effort to make a marriage work.These days everyone is independent minded as both are working, and none wants to bend a bit.So we see so many unhappy marriages.

My point is why marry at all ? Regards.kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr.Balajee,

Well u have a point there.HAHA.Regards.kamal