1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Can be Sweet and Sour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Life Can Be Sweet And Sour

Life can be tough.I used to be a garment exporter from 80 to 85, then the business stopped due to certain reasons.I did well then.Then I started a retail showrrom for the next 8 years,and lost all that I had made,barring the home.Business was bad and I was hand to mouth.

I used to go personally to the vegetable and fruit market and bargain for 50 paise a kg on items.In the fish market I would buy the cheapest fish,and not buy the one of my choice because of shortage of money.Wife used to phone for 15 kg postman oil,and I would keep putting it off,as I had no money,giving some or the other excuse.Sometimes buy her the Gujerat Groundoil ,brands like Maruti Oil,cheaper than postman,but not to her taste.

My Car tyres were flat,but could not afford the 600 tyre tube those days.Used to get my tyre retreaded,and buy second hand tube.Sweaters had become tight,and I would say, I will buy a new one next year.And I used to wonder, I have two daughters to marry,Dear Lord,do yuou want me to ask my parents to give me money for their marriage?Should I sell my bunglow and go shift in the interiors,and use the difference?Should I sell my Car and buy a Luna,which gives good average,and park it in the side lanes,so no one in the showroom area will come to know ?I started to search for cheaper version of Liquor.I used to drink Aristocrate whiskey which was a princly 90 bucks those days, and I came down to a brand called “ Sunny” which was available for 50/-From air Travell I came down to Train Travell,not even Ac,but the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> ordinary class.

But Sunny was horrible,made my throat burn,but carried on.Wills was 5 bucks a pack then in the mid eighties.I shifted to beedis when I was alone,and smoke ciggies when someone was around.

But I still had no complaints.Life must go on.I only used to pray to the almighty, that please keep my izzat intact,I don’t know the way, you have to show me the way,Boss.I felt a lot of change in the people around me.Wedding invitations disappeared slowly.There were some people common to me and my friends,and we used to be invited to marriages together.Sometimes friends would phone me, what time do we leave , and I would have to tell them,I have not been invited.It hurt,as the same person had invited me previously along with my friends,and now just because I am not doing well,They don’t invite me.That hurt,surely it did.But the smile never left my face.I knew my turn would come one day,sooner or later,as God my pal will not let me down.My ,parents and brothers were all very supportive , and told me and wife,don’t worry about yr daughters, they are ours,and don’t worry about the marriage expenses, we are there, u shell out nothing.My heart and courage swelled.

That was very reassuring,but I would lie awake many a nights,on the verge of tears,but the eyes would not oblige,just thinking about the future.Soon the whiskey would take effect,and off I went.

In 90 my cousin sister got married,and in 91 my two younger brothers got married.I did not give them a penny as I did not have any.I am still ashamed of that,but circumstances were such,what could I do.My dad, he quietly gave 20,000 to my wife instead,saying u guys have spent so much to come from jaipur to Mumbai,please keep this,and don’t tell Kamal about it.When we reached Jaipur, my wife handed over the money to me with the story.I had tears in my eyes,firstly bcs I had been reduced to this state,and touched for my Dad’s concern for us.And Mom,from her savings used to keep making ornaments for my wife.

My wife, I never bought her a saree from my own money for many many years,nor a [piece of ornament,but she is one in a million.She never ever grumbled and made do with whatever she had.I promised myself that the day I can,I will lay the world at her feet.

Well the tide turned,and turned dramtically.And this had many hands,but none was mine.One was my Dad,another a family Saint,who never took a penny for his blessings,and a few others.Soon I was exporting and traveling all over the world.I sold off the showroom,and the next 10 years were bliss.

Exports had become Tax free, the Govterment incentives fantastic, the Bank interest rates fantastic,and what I earned I paid no taxes,and saved in good RBI Bonds,Fixed Deposits of Banks,etc.Today I am comfortable thanks to the lord.The invitations to marriages have started to come in.And I do know who Is true and who is false,who like me for what I am, who like me for my money or status.

I have no regret in life.Those days too are very important to me.They showed me the value of money,and what happens when you run short of it.Maybe that is why I am cautious on the side of being called a miser,or stingy,but never mind.I never stop my wife and children from having what they want,But my wants and needs are very few.I am happy with what I have,and don’t desire anything in life.I have all the basics that I need.

And now Indus and I lites have entered my life,and what more could I want.I have a few very good friends here,Sri being one of the best persons i have had the privelge to interact with.

I just say to you all one thing.dont despair.Have faith in the Maker,call him by any name,or any religion,just fall at his feet,and all will be all right.He is the father,and a father will always look after his children.He wants us to suffer like a catapillar,to struggle to come out of our coccons to be a pretty butterfly.So don’t ever despair.

Sorry to have bored u with such a long blog,but Subbu’s blog took me down memory lane.Sleeping already ?ok ok I will not post more,God promise.Take care guys and gals.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That was a touching post. not the usual Kamalji kinds, but one with a wonderful message to all.

Actually I feel that when one experiences the downs in life makes us appreciate the highs more. And faith , yes having faith is so important. Like it is said 'When fate closes one door faith opens another". Kamalji, Im sure we all go through our times of trials and tribulations , but then remembering it and preserving our humility towards life and relationships is very important. Success and failures are two phases of life. Failures take people away from you and success takes you away from them, but im glad you didnt take that path, there is no grudge , only appreciation and that is wonderful.
    Ofcouse IL is a great place to be in and Cheeniya Sir is a wonderful gem , whom even I had the pleasure of getting to know post my joining here.

Lovely post Kamalji, and dont worry hum soye nahin, infact aapne humme jaga diya!!

Regards,
    Devika

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamalji,

Bowto your write up...no I did not sleep...but woke to the fact that....one will not be down always....There is a silver lining...And that .. whatever position we are in ..it is our parents,spouse and siblings who will never change colours...They are our anchors.

This is a very different post from you....
    Hats off to all those you stood by you...

After AC's latest blog(Krishnaaaa you came...), I am reading yours today and getting inspired by both of you.

Thank you so much for this..

Bye

4. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear kamalji,
    You took me down memory lane.I think many of us middleclass people go through such pain in some phase of life or other and the middle class values and grit bring us out of the troubled times.
    My husband being the eldest son of ten ,got his five younger sisters married in good families.We had to borrow,we had to cutshort many expenses,no regrets those tight days are gone and it is nice to see the sisters well off.
    My husband who was in a senior position used to tell me,"Mythili,we have to be careful in spending.Today we may splash money, after retirement we will not be able to have a good std of living and the same relatives whom we helped will not think twice before passing comments,"look they splashed money when Lakshmi was in service,now they do not have that much to splash.So let us lead a simple life.He is the person even today who decides money matters at home even now and I have no regrets.He had given me a very good standard of living and life is fine.
    When we have money we should save for the future,teach the children some values so that it becomes a way f life for them to be careful in spending.
    Regards
    mithila kannan

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

Thanks for the lovely reply.This is not the usual blog that is associated with me.These are the ramblings of an old man, of the times he has gone thru.But I am thankful to the lord for having seen all this, as this made me valie the worth of money even more.Now I think 10 times before spending, just buying what is necessary.

Your saying of faith and Fate is damn good, as also of success and failure, both were new to me.Great ones.

Thanks a ton, for yr kind words.Regards.kamal

6. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

When my parents had no money to pay the fees Sir Ramjoshi stood by me. But for him I would have never completed my graduation. Father's business was a total disaster. Lived on Mother's income who worked as a primary Teacher. Today's blog was a tribute to that magnanimous soul. kanaka

7. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamal Uncle,

I cant beleive my eyes..:hide:8th wonder for me to see such a emotional post from u

Naa! yeh aapko suit nahi kartha..jara hamaara original kamalji ko bhulayiye na.Big Laugh

Apart from jokes really loved your post,,I think when u get hurdles in life thn only u can get the meaning and importance of life and also worth of it...

Hugs,
    dg..

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sarswathi,

This is why I love blogs, where we all can write all our expierences without feeling shy, andlearning so manyu things and making friends too along the way.

Yesterday wife was telling me , thjat she read in the papers that the best way to kill boredom is to blog, and there is no harm in it.

And I agree with whosoever wrote this.When I sit to blog , I am in just a new world.Thank u so much for yr kind words, and they make me want to write more and bore u all more.HAHA.

Thanks and Regards.kamal

9. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

kamalji,
    did not expect such an emotional post from you.

But watever you said, is true that money is the factor among the people around us and not the friendship or love.

We can only depend on our parents, siblings and spouse for that matter, because they are the only ones who remain the same.

God does everything to us for a reason. Because you went thru a lot of difficult times, now you know the value of everything and also HE has given you an opportunity to start your exporting abroad. If you were doing good, you wouldn't have thought of all these right! :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown to GOD.

This is just my opinion. Sorry if i have bored you

regards,
    sreelata.s

10. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    You showed your sensitive side by this post.
    You are the "jolly good fellow" type, as seen in your writings so far.But you have gone through so much of difficult times, that, I think, you have started enjoying and appreciating every small thing in life.To understand what blessings are in life, God makes us go through adverse situations.
    But you have proved that tough people last and not tough times.God has blessed you with a great spouse, who patiently endured the adverse period with you, in life.
    I loved this post, Kamalji.
    Love,
    Chithra.