1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good-bye. friends!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sriniketan, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Goodbye, from Late Middle English Godbwye/God.b.w.ye, from the Middle English phrase "God be with ye", meaning "God Be With You", is a traditional parting phrase in the English language.

Dear friends,
    This is the explanation I got when searched for the origin of the word 'bye'...

In our households we used to say''varaen' ( will be back) or poyittu varaen ( will go and come back). If you notice those phrases..(.will be back, will come back.)..gives a positive look. They don't even allow us to say 'poraen' (I will go) which is considered as a bad yomen...we should always add to that phrase.." i will be back".

Moreover, we used to tell the elders at home this phrase when we go out...(according to my mil...elders blessings will protect us, when we say 'bye' to them). I am
    wondering maybe., that was the main reason for the phrase behind, Good-bye...

How many of us still continue that habit of saying 'bye' to our family members when we take leave for the school, office or any outing...
    It is useful for them because they know where we are..Big Laughand for us, it will be useful for us in case of emergency..:biggrin2: :idea

After getting to know the meaning for 'good-bye'...it is better to add 'good' to the mere bye which we always utter...

Good bye friends..( don't search for me...I am right here in IL :hide:)

sriniketan

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Oh, my dear Bhargavi,
    You really scared me with your title!!Rant
    I even thought you were perhaps taking a break & coming back home for a stay with your lovely children.
    Now, after reading your post, I am heaving a sigh of relief!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi srinektan,

You definitely brought me running here with your title.Rant

We definitely follow this in our house. And i admonish my family if someone says porean.. always feels saying poitu varean is positive for all and the blessings are definitely need.

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Srini,

I saw the title of the post and went "Oh no!" but was glad to read that only a "Oh, okay" was needed from me! :) Smart, title I must say!

For some reason I always thought Good bye meant bye with a don't know if or when I will see you again refrain. Hmmm, it isn't so.

Yup, just like in Tamil, in Marathi too they say "yete" when leaving - meaning I'll come again. In Hindi I guess we do use "Chalte hain" - meaning, I'll go or I'll take leave. In Hindi we also use "Phir milenge" - meaning, we'll meet again.

In German they say " aufwideresehen" for bye whose literal meaning I think is "see you again".

Will remember to use Good bye instead of just bye now!

SS

5. spandhana

spandhana Bronze IL'ite

hi sriniketan,

ya..i too thought u will be on some vacation so waving good-bye to IL for some time.
    My parents used to day we should utter the word vellivasthanu(telugu)i.e., good-bye while waving them instead of velluthunnanu or velathanu(telugu)which means only bye but not our return back.
    Hope,those who doesnt know this,would follow from now on.......
    Cheers,
    Spandhana

6. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srini,

Seeing the title, I wondered why???? and scampered to this post...Thank god......

I always say poitu varaen to everyone at home, before leaving.....Sometime, maybe they may find it funny when I say to each and everyone....

You are right, "See you again", or "Good bye" is better than "Bye"....I have often used Bye...Will take care from now onwards to use Good bye..

Thanx for the bringing me this thought....

GOOD BYE..Tata...:biggrin2:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Oh Sriniketan,
    You made me search for this title. I was wondering OMG who is this again moving out of IL? But you got me back to a sighed relief.

Yes, in our house, we follow the practice of telling poitu varen. I dont feel good when I say or when kids say bye. (Thai mozhi patru konjam athigam intha vishayathula). And I had practiced to have a small Vibuthi Kithu on my forehead whenever I go out(infact even if I had to go to someone else's house in the apartment where we live.:hide:) Infact my hubby used to tease me so much for that, now he too have realised the good omens that follow. So it is a must for every one of us including little Shrawan to have Vibuthi in forehead before stepping out of the house and tell a mandatory poitu varen. And no bye or good bye even.

8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Srini,

Like all the others i too wondered where you were taking off, relieved to find that its indeed a very smart title.

Yes in our place too we have to say "Il be back " to leave. If i ever just say Im going ,my mother will call me in and will have to sit for another half hour :hide:before I take leave this time with a "be back".

Its very common these days with the shows airing the "Il be right back "so "well be bck again. "
    Teens find it easier to say this now as easy as thier "Yo's".

Nice topic AC. Good to have you ack from whereever you DIDNT go!Big Laugh

Love,
    Devika

9. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Hi Srini,

Your title brought me here, as soon as I logged in IL. Computer Typing

I used to say Bye, and Tata to everyone at home while coming to office. Of course I will say "poittu varen" (Nowadays it is maruvified to "Peittren") also some days. After seeing your post, sure I feel I have to change telling "Bye". And also we should stop teaching our niece to say "Bye".bonk

And even in Chinese, they say, "Zài jiàn" , which means "See you again".

~Durga

10. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Srineketan,

My God! I too got bowled like others..." The title "Good-bye friends" coming from a good friend really a makes our eyebrows to rise!

Anyway catchy title with good content.

Thanks for sharing it!