1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indians Are Rich By Western Standards

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Indians Are Rich By Western Standards

I look forward to lazy Sundays, when I get extra newspapers.Not that I am a very busy person, but Sunday has that charm,when I can eat breakfast without brushing, or having bath, just laze around with a big pot of Tea, and just read away,lost in my thoughts, and digesting all the news that comes in.
    <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Today was no different.I finished TOI and HT, and moved to Indian Express which I get only onSundays, and there were two articles that caught my eye.Both made me think that Indians are far better off than their Western Counterparts.

UK - Farmers in UK don’t go often to their fields, and store huge quantities of Diesel on the Farms.One guy went and found that thieves had stolen 10000 litres of Diesel from his tanker parked at the Farm.the loss was 70000 pounds (appx 56 lakhs), of what they stole, and what they let drop on his field as they did not have such big truck to take all, and the cleaning up of the waste was huge.

3 years back the price of diesel was 11 p ( 9 rupees) per litre, and today is 70 p, a rise of more than 6 times.And now thieves are moving in Trucks, and stealing diesel and petrpl from Cars, and even stealing from Trucks that go to deliver diesel to petrol punps.

And we have the US secretary of State, going to South Korea telling Koreans to import and eat American Beef.The Koreans say “ No US Troops and No American Mad Cow Beef”.But she has been pleading with them, to eat their Beef.

We Hindus don’t eat Beef, because we consider Cow the Mother, as I understand.Fair enough.But the American Cow is not our mother,Right ? Why cant we import their cheap Beef, and give them Rice instead.Give Rice to Rice.And does Rice have no work but to propogate the sale of Beef, as Secretary of US.I don’t think any of our Foreign Ministers go specially to tell other countries to buy our Food products.Sounds Funny.

And look at Indian thieves, so much more forward than their American and British counterparts.They steal petrol and diesel, and our guys steal the Car itself.Previosly our guys were small timers , like they stole the 4 wheels of my friend’s Car parked outside his home, but now the whole car itself goes.Our guys can open schools and teach their American counterparts lessons in stealing.

And our petrol prices in the last 3 years have just jumped from 40 to 55 maybe, that’s 40%, and abroad by 600%, and life goes on.Big cars are still selling, and anybody with 2 lakhs in his pocket wont even look at a Maruti 800, but straight at a 20 lakh Skoda, a fuel guzzler, but we have courage, to pay back the heavy installments, and negotiate the traffic with the Buses and the Autos, and with Elephants and Camels on Jaipur Roads.

An Uncle of mine traveled to USA recently and told me there is Butter shortage along with Rice.And stores of second hand garments have opened, and people are thronging to wear what someone else wore a little while ago.And people not being able to pay their house installments, just post the keys to the Bank and move out.Jobs are being cut,and Obama just made a statement in the papers today, tax breaks will be given to those who will create jobs in the USA, and taken away from those who outsource to China and India.And they told India not to give Tax break to Exporters like me, and now we have to pay full taxes, as others.

And Americans future policies , well the less said the better.Around 4 or 5 years back,I read, that there was a lot of milk production in the States, which if sold, would drive down the prices.So the American Govt gave an incentive to the Farmers.Kill the Cows that give milk, and we will compensate u for the profits lost, and for 5 years you will not do this job again.and what about that Beef ? They thought that they would export it to the ThirdWorld countries, the Frozen Beef of these Cows, in Freezers on the Ships.

But they forgot we like Fresh Meat, never Frozen.And after the ship docks say at Mumbai, where are the refrigerated Trucks to take them to towns like Pune for eg, and do the shopkeepers have freezers, and if so , do they have uninteruoted power supply ?We did open up the import restriction, but the scheme failed as it had to.

And today they have shortage of Butter, and we can buy as much Butter as we want in India, alongwith Rice.Price is immaterial here, as poor are those countries, where u take money but don’t get the product.

And with people complaining about their household expenses going up, but are they doing their bit to cut down on the frills and unnecessary expenditures, like cutting down on the kilo meters driven,going out less to the movie theatres(watch the movie a few months later on TV, or buy the CD for 50/- later),eating less of MacBurgers and Pizzas, and not changing their working mobiles for a new model,and so on.Readymade Shirts and pants for Gents, Branded are like 1500 no less, cant we buy the fabric and give the tailors for less than half , to our fittings.

I see most people infact spending more and more, instead of tightening their belts.This means they have the confidence that they can pay off their credit card bills with 40% interest from their future earnings,which speaks well of the confidence of the Indian.

We are not the crybabies like the Westerners, everyday we read their crying that petrol has gone up etc.Today Americans are paying $ 4 per gallon ( 4.5 litres), which works out to less than 40 rupees a litre, and we pay more than 50/- a litre, and we still smile.

And mind u we earn in Indian Rupees and pay 50, and they earn in dollors and cry at 40/-

Are we not rich by American Standards !

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Super written............you are perfectly right how much ever the prices go up Indian's don't cry, will not change the life style, that they are leaving at present they can still aford I think. I think Indians are rich at heart, whatever happens we still smile. We don't have something, it is still ok for us. But a westerner cannot compromise on any thing in life. Even a bit change in life they will start crying.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

DearAruna,

Yes we indians are brave.Even onions did not make us cry when they cost 60 a kilo 10 years back.We did not stop eating them.But the Americans god knows what they will do in such a scenerio.Thanks for being the first to visit.Have a cup of coffee on me Aruna !

Regards.kamal

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamlaji,

Your opening statement about your Sunday programme shows how rich Indians are. Indians work on Sunday shifts for that "extra" kamaai. Added to that Indians have Bais/Kaamwalis for Jadhoo-Kataka, bartans etc. Westerners cannot afford to that. It is a big deal if you have someone come in once a week to do your vacuuming etc.

Oh yes, Americans have to fuel their ever-growing demand for $$. So do the best thing: sell US beef. They tried to introduce McDonald's. But the home made poori-bhaaji & Masala bhath scored full marks over burgers & fries. Also thanks to a rumor that the burgers were coated with beef fat to ensure that crisp taste.

Rice bechari has got the plum job of convincing Korea to buy US beef as she is good in Paakshastra & in Chanakyaniti. Kamlaji think, she can come up with a new recipe: Beef stir-fry with Rice by Rice. Now that would be confusing. Hai na?

No doubt we opened up our import restriction, but the memory of the imported American Wheat saga under Indira Gandhi stirred the nation & an unofficial boycott of US goods came about. My dad worked with a Govt Office that negotiated a deal with USDA for Soy products. That was a total flop. Who wants to eat soy when we have so much fruits & veges?

The difference why we do no wingh & whine like these Americans & westerners is because we are told " it si the law of Karma". What to do? Yes, that is the question we ask ourselves and go about our daily tasks.

Kamalji, one thing, we Indians unlike westerners believe in "Mil baantke khana". For the westerners, it is "each to his own".

The reason why majority of us Indians are rich financially & spiritually is because we believe in being content with what we have. Unlike the westerner who cannot afford a "Do waqt ki roti" and still wants to drive a Saab or have a house in the most "posh" locality.

Above all, we Indians are rich because we have Kamalji & they have 3 grade comedians like David Letterman etc...

Regards,

Corallux

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Corallux,

Coral Kamalji ka pranam .I bow my head to you.You have rated me over David Letterman.Wow.what more can I wish for Coral.I know I am not worth that praise, but still it feels great.Today I am going with a good mood to play cards with my friends, whcihwe play every Sunday among 8 of us, and I will win.Thanks a ton.

Yes I agree with u, we Indians still believe in sharing with each other.My mom sends a few dozen Apoos Mangoes from Mumbai whenever someone comes.She will buy the most expensive ones for me , as I am the only son in Jaipur, the other 3 are in Mumbai, two stay with her.And as soon as they come, Harsha first will two each to the maids even before we touch them,they too are human, and do so much for us.

And yes, the comforts of maids is there very much here in India.Even middle class people here have the bartanwalli, jhadoo katke wali, and one to wash clothes, and thedhobhi down the lane to press yr clothes, and it is heaven really.I have so many cousins in the states, and they come here, and just enjoy our home food, the daal chawal, chappatis, and the veggies like Karela,Bhindis, and fried papads and the works.

We tell them lets go out and eat in a restaurant, and they say they are tired of all this.They want to eat fresh food at home served by the maids in hand,and want to listen to stories by Kamalji, that’s me, haha, what I keep telling u all here.And thanks to blogs they now read my blogs and are updated on whats happening in my life here.

And as u rightly said, we count our blessings and don’t crib about what we don’t have.We make do and welcome our cousins and aunts to stay over, but in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>, I think this is a dream.

Thanks for yr super comments, which I think would have made a lovely blog in itself.Why don’t u write a blog on this subject I am sure u will make it fascinateing.

Regards.kamal

6. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Jaise Guruji ki aagya! The reason why you are better than those Videsis is because you treat your subjects with respect. They don't. Even our poor Aishwarya was treated like trash & she gave it back to him. He was floored!

Hope you do well in your card game today Kamlji, have a cup of tea sorry sorry a glass of BL on me.

Regards,

Corallux

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Corallux,

HAHA.Thats the spirt a glass of BL.HAHA.I will tell u tomm here whether i won or not.Regards.kamal

8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear kamalji,

A good blog again. I agree Sunday is a day to be bathed with newspapers, considering the number of supplements pouring in that day.

Well cant talk much about the beef,me being a total Shakari, Satvik aahar, ghaas poos person!!

But as far as the rich attitude we have is concerned i guess we are richer definitely .We win in many spheres hands down.

Yes I guess we are richer than the west in many ways.Our parents do enjoy the luxury of more respect and togetherness that is almost extinct there. We have a better survival instinct and are more peaceful. They have have their banks loaded but we have our hearts loaded that makes living such a pleasure and thats the reason that despite overflowing wit $ s they still come here in search of peace . After all isnt peace the greatest asset in life !

Good one Kamalji,Enjoyed it!

Regards,
    Devika

9. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Kamalji.

A very enjoyable and brilliant piece...You are Genius in writing this types of write-ups.

Regards Moonbeams..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devika,

Well said about our hearts being full.wish I had sent u my Draft of the blog, and I could have added that paragraph of yours, which would have made my blog better.

Yes we still have love and respect for our cousins and Aunts, but the Westerners need to have mothers days and fathers day to meet them and have dinner with them.For us, all days are mothers and fathers , and uncles and Aunts, what say Devika.

Regards.kamal