1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child Labour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Child Labour

I saw in the News a few days back about a UK Garment importing Firm banning 3 exporters from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region> from supplying them Readymade Garments as they accused them of employing child labour.

I am a garment exporter, so I can understand the trauma these Indian exporters must be going through.All their current orders stand still, their payments still due with the buyers will be stopped, and they will come to ruin very soon, and no other European Buyer will buy from them, as they will be blacklisted.

Since the last 10 years or so, the Western Countries have started to apply no child labour laws to exports from India.The big Importers and Chains, started to put their own conditions on the Exporters.In the Factory of the Exporter, there must be a fire exit,a pantry, a western style toilet for the staff, minimum wages chart to be put on the premisies, with the names of the people working, their ages,a nd the wages paid.and no child should be seen on the premises or in the vicinity.

Fine, I agree to some of the conditions.But actuall I don’t agree on any of them, coming to think of it.For all this, the exporter needs a very huge space, which in cities like Mumbai you just cant afford.In lower Parel, todays rates of offices in the Industrial Estates are over 20000 a square foot.That means that if an exporter needs 2000 sq feet of space, which is very less, the premises will cost him 4 crores.Just the basic premises, making these changes and office will set him backl by another 50 lakhs at least.

The interest on this 5 crores appx is 50 lakhs a year, and with the changes and wage increases they buyers insist on, should they not pay u the rate u want , that is a minimum profit of say 20 to 25% at least on yr produce ? No.They bargain like our locals, and make 2 exporters fight over the price.If A made the Sample , they will take quotations from B and C too.And sampling is to our business like SUV’s are to petrol.Both guzzlers.A did the hardest job of sampling, and to send a 2 dollor sample which ultimately passed, and got orders, the cost to the exporter in sampling must be like 2000 lDollors at least.I know this, because I have been involved in this line for donkey’s years.And there are 100’s of samples being made,on which depends yr next years orders and profits , if any.

Here’s why I find most of the demands of the importers ridiculous.

1) Child Labour – We order tea from the vendor, it is cheaper.For ourselves and the staff.Now how do we know if the vendor employs child labour.If that child is seen carrying Tea in yr office by the importer’s Rep, the above incident will happen.
    2) Embroidery , Dyeing,beadwork, gold printing, - so many such jobs on the garments we give on contract labour to outside vendors.How do we know what labour they employ ?
    3) English Toilet – The staff, who don’t have a toilet at home and live in chawls, where one toilet is shared by hundreds, where u have to take yr own water in a vessel, how the hell do they know how to use the Toilet with the Flush ?
    4) Minimum Wages – I think are 5000 or more set by the Whites.Why should I pay 5000/ when the staff is ready to work for 3000/-.and working at those rates in the neighbourhood , of other businessmen, who do local work ? Why would u pay 5000 to someone who says they are happy with 3000/- ?

In a way I agree there should not be child labour.But for that first we must stop the production of children by the poorly who breed like rabbits.Sterilize them.But they need more kids , to supplement their income,so they don’t want to spend money on educating them like us.The fault lies with the parents of these children, and not the employers.

For all the NGO’s, who fight against child labour, have they taken any steps at the grassroot levels to tell and educate the parents against breeding children ? Or distributed condoms ? Or done anything other than raising slogans in 5 star hotels .Have they taken any kids and adopted them in their own plush homes to make them as good as their own kids ?

Some things are easier said than done.This is interference in our internal matters by the foreigners, we have our problems, and we have to be competitive too in the international markets.If our contracters employ child labour, how is it our problem? We are not the nation’s conscience keepers, we are businessmen, who work hard, pay our taxes, and pay our just dues to everyeone who does work for us.Why penalize us for circumstances that are not in our control in any which way.

If we go by this yardstick, there will be more child beggars than child labourers very soon, and we would have sold our soul to the foreigners, like we once did a few hundred years back.A child labourer is better working than begging, as he gives good value to his employer for the money that he receives, if the choice is that he either begs or works.

All this for a Few Dollor More ? Since I am a small man with small means, I have stopped my exports, and I have invested that money , and reaping the rewards of not working with these Westerners.To those who still wish to work with them, do so at yr own peril.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamaliji
    Good topic
    If the employers stop giving job to kids will not this child production stop???
    It is a cruel part to employ the kids to work. But now a day these kids are given free education, so why can't these parents give little bit of education.............Your last part is correct Kamalji in case we don't keep them for work they start begging and this happens in many places...........and once these kids get the taste of begging they don't want to work perfer to live on begging. Even if you tell them just do this work I will give you to eat and also money they are not interested.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kamalji,

Me too following the story. the exporters are shocked . the height is the news says the names of the companies are confidential.so you are put into guessing game.

I totally agree with your view point on the labour, the salary, the toilet and family planning.

But I feel, the lower strata is conditioned. Look at the government schemes and ngo's coming out with lot of schemes...the midday meals..the girl child free education..nothing really works..

Every sunday, for the past one month, I find the parents sending their kids with a notebook/paper listing the names of the text books and note books.. and children coming and asking for school fees and also money for the books. I don't mind supporting somebody..but i would like to be sure if the school is the flavour of the month to beg?? and come july/august they will shift to something else.

I would suggest that the employers employ these children part time and also ensure that they go to the schools either in the morning/night. this way there is a future.....this way we are putting plate on the food, and also giving food for thought...

4. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Kamalji

Indeed child bearing should be a privilege and not a right. Ppl have kids without any responsibility when they do not even have the means to feed them. Then they use the kids to work and feed the parents ! Such people should not be allowed to have children. Whenever I see kids suffering my heart breaks. The parents should be held responsible. A couple should be allowed to have kids only after filling an application and showing proof of income sufficient to feed the kid

Santosh

5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear kamlaji,
    i saw your post before but waited to watch the programme on bbc about it so that i could write better.well the programme was definitely a eye-opener one!loads of people here buy cheap clothes due to fast fashion but at the same time they don't want it at the cost of child labour or other person being exploited.
    in this case its not boycotting because obviously it will not help these children but imposing ethical policies and paying the minimum wage in that country which sadly lots of them dont get paid.
    also i would like to share with you the information that these children who were found out by the bbc are promised education and the workers better conditions by the company here.so atleast these children will get a better future!
    and as for ngo's there is one called bba which rescues children from child labour back to their hometown for education incase they are abandoned these kids are educated in a school run by the organisation's founder mr.bhuvan.this organisation claims to have rescued around 30,000 children so far.

also experts have suggested that it is the the uk company's responsibility to gives its exporters some time to adjust to their ethical policies which they stated as work kept within the factories which are regularly inspected by officers and people working normal working hours (as some workers claimed in the programme for working 2 days continuosly)and the minimum wage to be paid according to the country's policies,instead of cancelling their contracts which would have hit the worst even more!!!!

this programme has definitely been an eye-opener here and all i can say is we should support organisations like bba to help such children so that we have a better future for them as well as India.
    regards
    pavi

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

A very sensitive issue here!

Child labour has wiped out the childhood of many kids. They are born with a responsibility.The tiny hands have never held toys, their feet have never been used for running around and playing.Their sleep is not a peaceful one but an exhausted one.Its so sad to see these kids , a victim of circumstances succumbing to the pressures of life and growing up without even knowing that their best phase(childhood) is already over!!

We see child laboureres everywhere.Hotels , bidi factories, firework factories, etc. For the economic convenience the employer engage them in work and pay them almost half the salalry than he would to an adult for the same amount of work done or probably more. They remain malnourished and all this backfires with serious health issues and no money for treatment. They work for longer hours and their innocence is often misinterpreted as fear. They do not know the rules so they go about whats asked of them.The completely exploit the children.

Govt.keeps telling that Child labour is banned , but no the Govt will not do anything about it. It has to come from the people, From us , from you and me, to be able to stop it to some extent ,or at least see to it that they get their due.

A really sensitive issue Kamalji .Loved reading it!!

Regards,
    Devika

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The problem, Kamalji is that many people dont distinguish between child labour and slavery. While it is really bad to employ children as slaves paying them pittance or nothing and using them for dangerous jobs like making crackers, I dont see anything wrong in employing them in professions where they will learn a craft say in carpet weaving or embroidery that will stand them in good stead later provided they work under safe work ehviuronments. What would you prefer, poor children ending up as beggars or prostitutes or earning a respectable amount through work? On what basis do the whites fix the minimum wages? They dont realise that the purchasing power of a rupee in many areas is more than that of the dollar in the US. You can eat your fill for 10 rupees in many small towns of India still. These guys are often misguided by fake NGOs who make a living out of fat contributions from abroad.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Yes it is sad when u see kids working for long hours and in inhuman conditions.But for the parents of these kids, they are the byproduct of sex, which is their only pastime really.These parents are parasites, who cant feed themselves, and use the kids produced to work and give them some money.so they go on producing more kids, so they can live off eh earnings of their own children.

But if there is a choice between these kids working, or begging or prostituting, u tell me whioch is the better of the three devils ?

Regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti,

What Santosh has suggested is very practical.Like <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>China</st1:place></st1:country-region>, u need permission to have kids.The same way, these poor people also should have to have a pan Card and permission to have kids, otherwise put them behind bars.

Our population is balloing, but of the lousy quality kids, which is a huge burden on all of us.Itr is sth taxpayers that suffer the most.and they encroach on Govt land, and this is what we get really.

And these kids as u said are used to gain money and sympathy by being sent house to house to collect money.Sad.

Regards.kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Santoshji,

what a way of looking at things.Wonderful suggestion.Our govt should do it like China, where permission must be taken.Giving birth to a child , should not be a birthright.Yhe parents must have the mwans to take care of the kids, otherwise dont give birth.

Great one.regards.kamal