1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Makers and Breakers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The world is packed with all sorts of crazy people but the record makers and breakers are the worst of the lot.

Now, now, despite hating cricket I don’t blame those guys who end up setting new records on scores, wickets etc. They just want to play and are often genuinely surprised to find themselves in the Limca Book of Records even if they don’t make it to the Guinness.

What gets my goat are those who do weird things to get into record books. For instance there was this guy with the world’s longest nails in India. He did make it to the Guinness Book though nobody gave him a role in some horror flick which he really deserved.

And another fellow countryman of mine set a record by eating the maximum number of world’s hottest chillies. No one heard of him afterwards. Presumably he was eaten up by chillies in his stomach.

But all that is pardonable. A guy in Mathura recently set a record for watching movies non-stop for 120 hours and that too Bollywood movies! Going by the quality of the stuff Bollywood dishes out, only denizens of hell should be allowed to go through such a torment, not living beings.

Tha guy wanted to break a record set by a German woman. His excuse, he wanted to put his home town Mathura on world map. Where is it now on the map of Jupiter may be?

A doctor constantly kept him company throughout the Tamasha, frequently examining Ashish Sharma (that was the nutter’s name) for ill effects of Bollywood movies. You see the Guinness guys wanted to take no chances, knowing fully well the kind of masterpieces that the Mumbai film factories churn out;.

Lots of questions arise over the record breaking act. Did he really watch movies non-stop without even going to the loo for relieving his bowels and bladders? Or were special arrangements made in the movie hall to enable him to multi task?

What happened to the poor doctor? Presumably he must have been a psychiatrist, since movie marathons are more likely to damage the brains than the body. Condemned to stay with Ashish, did he end up stark raving mad for the cause of putting Mathura on the world map?.

I must hand it out to Ashish,. If I watch 5 movies in a row (which I once did) I start suspecting that the world is an illusion and only song, dance, filimi romance with heros serenading the heroine lip synching to someone else's singing and fights with a dishum dishum soundtrack are real.

The German girl who set the earlier record certainly did not watch Bollywood flicks. I have seen German movies including a 10 hour –long movie in (un)easy instalments and they are quite watchable. You don’t feel like breaking into a song suddenly while walking on the street after watching them.

So Ashish had a tougher task at hand than the girl.. He had to ensure that he did not hallucinate after his bout of movie watching.. Hope he didn’t mistake the doc for some Bollywood heroine or villain. Being mistaken for a villain is bad enough but being taken for the heroine would be a bit too much...

Now what that he has walked into the Guinness Book and put Mathura on the world map? May be he would have girls swarming over him giving the glad eyes to the macho man. After all what is more macho than sitting through 48 Bollywood flicks

2. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Dear Balajee,

I can say I started liking ur writings after the comedy flick ´ME,MYSELF AND NIGELLA LAWSON´.Hahahaha

Eating hotttest chilli for the record oops he is playing with his life..
    The man could be a psycho watching BM for 120 hrs,If I see 2 movies continuously my brain stops working and saying oh my god how crazy I am!!!!!!

People do crazy things to get recognised like drinking a 1kg bottle of ketchup in 39 sec,fitting max.no. of straws in mouth,there is a boy at 11 who delivered a baby by C section and says youngest surgeon...

It is well and good if the breakers are doing healthy things and what to do to get a space in any book we have to be quite different like after few yr Our Indus may be in to it recording Highest number of ladies in a forum...

Cheers,
    dg..

3. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

That was a Good and thought provoking write up balajee...

Seriously, I cant take 2 movies a Day even if there is a gap of 12 hrs.....I still dont belive he sat thru bollywood movies for 120 hrs...well is there furher info on what hapened to him after 2 / 3 days ie what is his condition now?

Cheers!!
    Anu

4. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear balajee,
    these days people do all sorts of things to get in to the guiness book of records well as for ashish he is probably a movie freak who loves bollywood movies and infact would have found it intresting doing what he liked and still getting into the records!!!
    regards
    pavi

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Dream Girl, these record breakers are mostly people suffering from a psychiatric illness called attention deficiency syndrome. They will do anything to get attention. But is getting into the Guinness book the right way. How many people buy it to look for the weird records of these jokers? Within days these chaps are dumped into the dustbin of history.

6. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi balaji
    There are so many records of so diverse nature being made everyday that it is very difficult to remember them. Poeple singing for hundreds of hours or walking on ropes or pulling trucks & aeroplanes by teeth/hair & all.
    Some are really absurd. I saw one person interviewed in NDTV - claiming love for crabs & around 150 crabs of all size were slithering & walking on his body -- eeek
    And he was saying that He loves it.
    True some % of humans are nutters.
    Regards

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Balajee, watching movies for 120 hours...Rant
    I had seen some interview on the TV where they showed a person, doing miniature things like chess board, bicycle, all are silver-made, workable...and he said he has planned to write Thirukkural in tweeny-tiny words, for which he is getting practice, now...

sriniketan

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr.Balajee,

120 hours of movie watching eh ! people go to crazy lenghts to enter the record books.
    Would u like to make a name for yrself Balajee? You can write blogs for 120 hours, check that out.You and me can sit and u keep writing, and i will be drinkuing and keeping a watch on u, that u dont fall asleep while blogging.

Regards.kamalBig Laugh

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Great idea, simultaneously you can set a record of non-stop drinking for 12o hours.

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

dear Balajee
    Aptly said..........just to come in the records these people do all sorts of crazy things..........
    eating so many chillies he might have directly taken to the hospital.
    Oops watching movies continous for 120 hrs.............
    What about the man who pulled a truck with his hair and the other guy pulling the aeroplane with his teeth...........recently I saw a man putting 5 or 6 swords into his mouth no idea how he might have done it looking at all such things ...................these are really crazy and scary too.