1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aradhana

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

ARADHANA

Sapna sat in her verandah, admiring the wonderfully colourful flowers that adorned her garden like a lovely bride’s pallu on her head, looking beautiful.
    It was just like the morning so many years ago. A beautiful morning and she awaited the blossoming at her home too. She watched the butterfly fluttering happily and her heart fluttered at the same pace in anticipation. She had to leave for the church in ten minutes. She had kept looking at her watch as though looking at it would actually speeden up things.
    God she had waited so long for this day, convincing everyone at home.
    They reached the church and the nun went in to get the baby. Sapna kept looking at the door awaiting the arrival of the baby ,her baby The nun came out with two infants. One boy and one girl.. The nun said,” Mrs. Murthy, you are lucky to have a choice. Generally people don’t have the choice and infact have to wait for many months or maybe a year before getting a child. I guess Jesus has been kind to you.

Ashok wanted the boy just as all in the family and they realized that to keep the family happy they have to have a son. Sapna was ok with any child .She just wanted to release her maternal desires that she’s been suppressing for way too long. Ashok held the boy while Sapna held the girl. The tiny girl looked at her. Sapna dint know whether the baby was looking at her but she liked the way the kid looked at her and suddenly she felt the tiny hands clutching her thumb holding it tight,as if asking for protection, refusing to let go. She held the kid against her chest and some magical feeling passed through her. God it was pure bliss. The perfect bond.

Ashok was talking to the Father of the church. He said “Il take the boy” Sapna felt a deep pain in her. But she had decided not to go against her husband whom she had convinced with great difficulty to agree to adoption. But the next statement of Father made her change her mind. Father said, “ Well you can take him but let me tell you one thing .This boy will find a lot of parents but the girl is deaf and mute and will never find any takers. Im looking for loving parents for the girl. Im being honest with you.” Ashok was already shaking his head when Sapna said, “I want her….. I need her”
    Ashok was too shocked at her words. In the seven years of marriage she had never gone against him and here was the beginning of their first difference of opinion. They asked the Father for time, sometime to ponder. When they left the church Ashok had made up his mind and Sapna hers and the decisions didn’t match.

They went home and then began the arguments and reasoning. Something inside Sapna couldn’t think beyond the girl child. At her sudden obstinacy surprised Ashok. She was never like this had never been so stubborn in the seven years.

“What will we do with a deaf and mute child? She will be a liability all her life.Whats her future? And what after us. Who will take care of her? How will she live? Please grow up. Think sensibly!
    I know we can raise her beautifully. We can groom her and give her a wonderful life Ashok.Please try to understand ,she needs us. I need her. She has stirred maternal feelings in me like never before. Without her in my hands I feel so empty, I have never felt this empty before. Please grant me this one wish”.
    “I don’t want to hear anything. Theres no place in my house for a deaf and mute child”

In the evening Ashok went for a party. Ashoks office was throwing a party to welcome the new MD of the company. Ashok went to the party and tried to enjoy himself and forget the arguments going on home. The new MD arrived. He was a very handsome man and the son of the CEO. Ratan was a very charismatic person and looked very dashing. Ashok stood admiring when Kanwal, Ratans father and the CEO asked him if he was enjoying himself. Ashok told him that he was blessed with a wonderful son. “Yes theres no doubt about that. I couldn’t have asked for anything better. Hes very capable and will take the company to places.I have implicit trust in him. God has been kind.” So saying he smiled and walked off asking Ashok to enjoy himself. Ashok shared this with Kutty another employee. “How proud Kanwal Sir is of Ratan .! And then Kutty said, “Who would ever think that somebody like Ratan would gave so much potential “ “What do you mean?” “ Well he’s deaf and mute” . This shocked Ashok. It was as though God had sent him here to show him how wrong he was.” On some pretext he immediately left the party.
    All the way home in the cab the little face of the girl in the orpahange kept tormenting him. He wasnt able to sleep that night and knew that Sapna wasn’t sleeping either.He had a guilt feeling in his heart .It was heavy and he didn’t know why? He went to the temple at his house in the middle of the night looking for an answer. He looked at the dieties and closed his eyes. All he saw was her face of the little girl. He had tears in his eyes. He got his answer. He opened his eyes and amidst tears thanked God.
    The next day Aradhana was brought home.

It wasn’t easy acceptance, but Sapna never lost hope . She would give the best to her daughter and she did that. Special tutors, special care and they soon realized that Aradhana was a very talented and gifted child. Ashok after the initial hesitation couldn’t escape the love of the child and soon he was as much in need of Aradhana as she was of him. Perhaps he needed her more than she needed him.. He did his best to raise her. Friends were few but the parents more than made up for it. They kept their age according to her needs.

Aradhana never uttered MA but Sapna heard it each time she looked at her. She never uttered DADDY but Ashok heard it every time he kissed her. Their hearts spoke and heard all they wanted to! They all communicated perfectly the language of love And the metamorphosis was wonderful .

Slowly the family starting relenting and accepting her.
    Infact now she was the apple of everyones eyes in the family.

Today was such a beautiful day . Sapna was brought back to the present by Aradhana, her beautiful flower, who touched her arm , and showed her that they were getting late.
    The exhibition opened to a wonderful response. Everybody marveled at the talented Aradhana. She was beeming with joy and Sapna was beeming with pride.
    As she stood in corner admiring a particular painting of a womb,her dear daughters painting, she felt someone hands on her , She didnt have to look at the person to know who it was. Twenty five years of marriage to this loving person. She turned to look at him with a smile and she saw tears in his eyes. “Thankyou so much Sapna. If it hadn’t been for you I would have missed this gem in my life” Thankyou so much for knocking sense into my head dear. They both turned to see Aradhana explaning to the visitors about her painting, so enthusiastic, so energetic, so bubbly . Aradhana instinctively looked at them from across the hall , and they both smiled at her vibrant grin . They turned to each other Ashok said, “ Do I have to say how much I love you.”? Sapna couldn’t answer. The lump in her throat wouldn’t let her..

This is the irony of life.::
    Those who have a challenge make use of the other senses to the maximum and dont let it hamper their growth, infact excel in various fields, but then those who have been blessed with all the senses forget how to use them
    Eyes to see the wonderful things are always trying to find faults
    Ears to hear beautiful sounds around but do we really listen?
    Tongue to help us speak sweetly but is maximum used venomously
    Nose to smell the fragrances of life is spent in being nosy about others life
    Touch , the hands are to touch with love but how many we hurt with this,!!

If only we all used our senses to the fullest in the right way , wouldn’t we all be so very happy?

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,

A very, very touching story, dear Devika. I was particularly moved by

Aradhana never uttered MA but Sapna heard it each time she looked at her. She never uttered DADDY but Ashok heard it every time he kissed her. Their hearts spoke and heard all they wanted to! They all communicated perfectly the language of love And the metamorphosis was wonderful .

Those who have a challenge make use of the other senses to the maximum and dont let it hamper their growth, infact excel in various fields, but then those who have been blessed with all the senses forget how to use them
    Eyes to see the wonderful things are always trying to find faults
    Ears to hear beautiful sounds around but do we really listen?
    Tongue to help us speak sweetly but is maximum used venomously
    Nose to smell the fragrances of life is spent in being nosy about others life
    Touch , the hands are to touch with love but how many we hurt with this,!!

How true, dear Devika. Thanks for the beautiful writing!

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear devika

that was just wonderful...very touching and with a message as usual...u are indeed a gifted writer.......how many of us would have done that......it requires a great heart to adopt a child like that and real determination and dedication to bring out the best in that child....just loved it...

Mindi

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

yes we can use this to the fullest to do the best things in life, and along with parents i think the society itself should never pity these souls but encourage and accept them as human and not a disabled but a differently abled people...thanks for writing about this subject in your story...sunkan

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Thankyou my dear Usha for the very motivating FB!!

I am glad you liked the story.
    There is a language of love that resides within all of us.Sometimes its not neccassary to even speak.Its so evident for the loved one to see and understand. Thats how this family went on. Flourished, grew and reaped the benefits of it.
    I have seen particularly very creative people in various fields . Extremely creative though partially challenged. Its awesome to see the way they have made use of the available potential.

Thankyou once again Usha,

Love,
    Devika

6. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Wow.........Devika,............

Great piece of note..........and iam very impressed by the way you chose names be it Nayana or Aradhana.........Good work keep it up.......Your words have a spell of magic which leaves me dumbstuck.......

7. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Aradhana, a lovely name for a lovely story. many a time we write off people as useless because of their various shortcommings. They surprise the world with their achievements.

Thanks from another gem from your pen ga Devika. A very refreshing story.

Regards,

Corallux

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My dear Devikutty,

What a fantastic piece of writing, such eloquence, such depth of feeling and meaning and such a beautiful message to all of us who have our senses intact but tend to misuse them most of the time.
    A heartwarming story , beautifully narrated,an enjoyable read till the very end.Bow

warm regards L.chechi
    PAULINA:wave

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Devika,

:hatsoff:hatsoff to you dear. I have always been your admirer and this has really taken the cake. The way you have started and ended so beautifully. I was tongue tied rather finger tied. Could not Computer Typing anything.

It was very touching. I always felt that we should adopt a child but things do not happen the way we want. But I am happy if at all I had gone ahead with my desire I know the child would have been the worst sufferer. Hence God saw to that it never materialised.

This is an awesome piece. Accept my :bowdown on net.

Nominated this for FP also.

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Devika
    Your excellent story teller (and poet too!)
    Story is very touching.. and so very true. People who are challenged in some way .. its amazing to see their contributions..
    Another gem of a story from You. Keep writing!