1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Alamelu, Gowri & KA - The Destiny

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rs18, May 30, 2008.

1. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Gowri ….get that broom dear……..i need to sweep the home , its getting late shouted Alamelu…Kamakshi amma wouldn't admit me coming late….Amma, came gowri with a broom in her hand ……….Amma will you come soon today? Alamelu had no answers as usual……she just looked in to Gowri’s
    Wandering eyes….pulled her close and kissed her fore head …..

Dear . I too wish to stay home and take care of you but still , we have to manage our daily
    Bread, your father did not spare even a penny for us, and being the eldest daughter you should be more keen in knowing your responsibilities……..do not worry……Things will
    Change ……Now just get ready for your school…… And remember do not prepare anything for dinner. Kamakshi amma has some function at home i would bring some food tonight. Thus Alamelu vanished in the rising sunrise…..Gowri simply nodded and left the place. Alamelu had her very own pride in having gowri as her daughter; though small she used to share all the chores for her amma …..She had Gowri and Ganesh……

Gowri always topped her classes. She was in her 5<SUP>th</SUP> std and Ganesh was just 3 years old her father died 2 years ago By then it was half past 7 and gowri hurried up .Ganesh had a quick bath and was left at sundari’s place Sundari was their neighbour ever since they shifted here in Saidapet.` She was so nice and sweet enough to Alamelu’s kids and always loved gowri as her own daughter.

Kamakshi amma had a frown face as she saw alamelu entering their home. Alamelu was
    Their domestic help for the past 3 years. Though kamakshi amma liked the way alamelu got adhered to their habits , she disliked her coming late. Alamelu wished her and hurried off to the kitchen she had magnanimous work to head with, she cleaned the vessels, mopped the floor, washed the clothes. Went to the market to buy vegetables
    Prepared their lunch etc., Alamelu was all hesitant to take up any new homes fearing of missing the short time she had with her kids. All this for Rs 500 -/ and some old clothes from kamakshi amma’s daughter Meenu

Meenu was also of Gowri’s age . she always looked neat, dressed in bright clothes
    Whenever alamelu had a chance of washing Meenu’s new clothes . she would tuck them close to heart before see them dry. Coz it reminded her of gowri wearing them.

The party got over only by 12.00 in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:time Minute="0" Hour="0">midnight</st1:time>, Alamelu was breathless, though she had no regrets about gowri, but ganesh was too small to miss her for so long. Alamelu
    Packed her share of dinner and rushed home. Poor kids they would have been so hungry
    How fool am I? To ask gowri not to cook anything…..oh GOD help me to save my kids.
    Kamakshi amma had a lavish life to explore , they would throw a party often………their
    Kids always enjoyed sumptuous meals, they had car, dresses, cakes etc., Alamelu
    Couldn’t control herself from thinking so. Kamakshi amma is also a nice lady. All
    She expects me to come on time…….Alamelu was saying to herself, from tomorrow
    I should be disciplined. I should reach their home before <st1:time Minute="0" Hour="7">7 am</st1:time>, …she did not look in to the road too …and there came the speeding car which went unnoticed……..it laid Alamelu to rest once for all.

The last words alamelu had uttered were Gowri & Ganesh…..Gowri was taken back
    She couldn’t believe her eyes when she saw her mother been wrapped in a neat white
    Cloth ……there were no words to console…….Gowri could barely cry..All she had was
    Few drops of tears rolling down her cheeks….Ganesh was jumping up and above on Alamelu’s dead body.. Sundari aunty came as a helping hand she borrowed some money
    And completed all the formalities for alamelu. Kamakshi amma had come with her family, conveyed her condolence and handed over Rs 1000 to sundari. She muttered
    Poor Alamelu……..she was a hard worker. We would miss her…….

Sundari hugged both the kids….. and cried aloud……… Alamelu……..you promised
    To come late but never……ever…………..oh dear…….who will see to this little flowers
    .three days rolled by gowri wasn’t her own she could hardly eat anything , neither sleep
    next day her school mates came in to see her . Gowri wrote a small letter to her head mistress and asked her friends to drop it for her. She had conveyed her inconvenience to attend the school thereafter………..

It was sunrise by then, exactly <st1:time Minute="15" Hour="6">6.15 am</st1:time>. Ganesh had a quick shower, his morning cereal.
    had a quick bath and was left at sundari’s place. Sundari was surprised!!!!

Aunty take care of ganesh. I should come soon…….. Kamkshi amma wouldn’t admit me coming late……………..

Last edited: May 30, 2008

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear rs18,

heartbreaking story.It is like a one page story of kumudham.VEry nice.
    Poor gowri very sad.what a maturity at this young age!:hatsoff:hatsoff to you and the poor girl Gowri.
    THere are so many gowris in this world.
    I pray to god to give all the gowris a good health,education, mental strength to face this world.

Thankyou very much.

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Very touching.Well Writtern.

4. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamal,

Thanks for the compliment. this is my first story in IL and iam happy that u liked it. yes there are many gowri's invisible to us.........

5. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

My dear Aishu......

I was expecting your feedback...Thanks for the same.

6. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya...

It was a nice story... Well written dear.. Expecting more stories from you...

love
    Brindha...

7. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Ramya,

Congrats !!! for coming with your first story which is indeed a very touching story ... Many girls out there like Gowri who still faces struggles in their life ... May God give them strength and courage to face this world ...

Keep coming with more ... Regards, Suni ... :)

8. swarnalata.N.S.

swarnalata.N.S. Platinum IL'ite

Very touching story. Feel so sorry for the girl. Sad, this is truth of life for so many unfortunate people here. It was like reading the Oru pakka kathai in Kumudam. I like the style of your writing.

9. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear rs18

a very sad story. Somehow it is engraved in children like Gowri that it is their duty or destiny to believe that they are meant to have only such jobs.
    keep writing!

10. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Dear Brindha,

Vazthukagakhu Nandri........its nice to know that u liked the story......

Dear Suni,

Thanks for the lovely feed back......would defnetly write more...

Dear Swarnalatha & Usha,

Iam very delighted , Thanks for the wonderful feedback.