1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Canvas of Life -come and paint !

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by dolorcosta, May 29, 2008.

1. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Hi All

Am starting this thread to discuss and share our experiences of life.

Life is too short for all of us to have gone through every conceivable situation and hence we need to collate our various impressions of life.

You can comment on any general philosophy , amusing anecdote or any incident that has shaped you or left an indelible mark on your mindset.

Am setting the ball rolling with my below observations :

Whenever I see children playacting , I observe that with their eyes closed they can be anything that they want, whether a doctor, fighter pilot or superhero.

Why is it then that with our eyes open we cannot be what we want to be ?
    What keeps us in our place?
    What stifles our creativity?
    What limits our power?
    What suppresses our potential?

Any answers will be welcome !

Cheers.

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear dolor costa,

VEry typical name you have.first love to hear the story behind your name.

I feel the most important thing is "FOCUS". AND BHAKTHI(bakthi on what we are doing").
    and that is lacking in children of today.
    These two things will sure take us to heights and lead a quality life.

3. sharadha

sharadha Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Nothing is impossible in this world. All we need is determination, perseverance and courage to face hurdles in life, have faith and leave the rest to god.

4. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Vkritika1/Kamala

Glad u found my name interesting.This is obviously a pen name that i have used ever since i was told that using yr actual names/ contact details on the web is not recommended.the name Dolor Costa is modelled on the word " roller coaster ".

In my experience I think that Life is exactly like a ride on the roller coaster, full of ups and downs, we scream sometimes, our stomachs churn, but yet we somehow seek happiness in the middle of this bizarre and fast paced ride !

Sharadha,thanks for yr inputs - kepp your posts coming, all of us can learn a lot from each other !

Regards.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hi,

I am reading an interesting book " The Piligrimage" by Paulo Coelho and here's something that has made me think for almost a couple of days and your post reminded of this....I hope I can corelate better, but here it is :
    "When you are moving toward an objective it is important to pay attention to the road and the road teaches us the evst way to get there and the road enriches as we walk the length". May be the kids as they are role palying are seeing the road and paying attention to it with their closed eyes where as we as adults loose that perspective with open eyes.

The other thing that I read in the same book which will also answer this question is "Try to find pleasure in a speed that you are not used to. Changing the way you d routine things allows a new person to grow inside of you".

May be we are so used to routine and taking things as they are and following routine that (I use quotes from your mail here)
    with our eyes open we cannot be what we want to be ?
    keeps us in our place?
    stifles our creativity?
    limits our power?
    suppresses our potential

Does this make sense or am I too way off from what you are expecting to achieve in this thread? I am also assuming that you wanted answers as inputs for your questions.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  6. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Srama

Thanks for yr prompt response which is much appreciated.Paul Coelho's books are very visible but somehow I have yet to read any of his works.

And yes , i would like someone to explain what makes life tick ! Im sure that no single individual can possess all the answers , but what I need is someone to jolt me out of my complacent state and help start "living" instead of merely existing .

Your analogy regaring focussing on the road is a good one- I too think that kids are very focussed- while playing they think only of playing and nothing else.Maybe we have a lot to learn from them

Thanks for yr inputs .

7. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear dolor,
    Very beautiful name.
    Well.The topic seems interesting.I feel every day the situation keeps changing.Sometimes we cannot judge or even assume that a particular incident can happen.At the same time,life is also not to the extent of our fears/anxieties.Nobody can be completely happy nor completely sad.Life is not what we think.And there will be a strong reason for whatever happened in life.We may sometimes get biased/confused for the happenings around us with no idea of why it has happened.Still there may be a reason attached to it.
    Secondly as krithika said, i too observe in many persons ,that involvement and sincerity is totally lagging.Even i am not old or matured enough ,not even married,but still i feel the values are invisible due to changing life styles and changing world.

Good topic.Keep going...
    BC

8. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Bhargavi

Yr thoughts are nice- from yr avatar I can imagine that you a movie fan !

Also I admire yr courage in pondering over the various complexities of life, particularly as you are young and yet unmarried and therefore protected from a variety of other conflicts that the other " senior" people inevitably face.

One of the lines that you penned has made me wonder quite a lot :
    " Life is not what we think"( your quote )

If life is not what we think, then what is life ?

Regards

9. chameli

chameli New IL'ite

Dear Dolor Costa..

we also can be what we want be only if we beleive inourselves.....we tend to froget that once we grow up.........faith confidence and belif in yourself will help you reach any goal you set for urself...:)

10. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Dear Chameli

Nice to read our comments. Indeed self belief is important.

But I have observed that ceartain relationships can stress a person so much that one's self-confidence can get shattered.

This happens because all people do not have the same basis or platform for presenting their case. One could be purely logical while the other could be extremely emotional .In reality ,the arguments we face in life are not exactly a structured debate between two protagonists nicely following an honourable code of conduct. On the contrary, it may resemble more of a boxing match, where each one is more anxious to make the deeper impact on the foe.

One of the biggest challenges we face is how to deal with unreasonable people.They are all around us, whether in the workplace , family or neighbourhood.And we cannot understimate the power of the Unreasonale Ones!

Indeed Gerge Bernard Shaw rightly quipped :
    " The reasonable man adapts himself to the world.
    The unreasonable man expects the world to adapt itself to him.
    Therefore the progress of the world depends on the unreasonable one !

Any views , anyone ?