1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

MA .... Thanks!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, May 7, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Mothers are our genuine advisors to us from the time we are placed in her hands the moment we are born. “Don’t cry baby. Go to sleep, ohhohhh……..<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Ra</st1:City><st1:State>Ri</st1:State></st1:place> Ra Ro….” lulling sounds to put the babies to sleep, “Come on dear have your milk , you’ve to grow up soon” as she breastfeeds. “Do your studies dear, You need to be a Doctor/Engineer” as she takes our studies“Don’t fight” as we pick up quarrels with siblings , friends etc.,...and continues until the time she says, all heavy hearted to the son in law“ Please take care of her…”, teary eyed as he walks away with her precious treasure. And it continues thereafter too…. As long as there is your Mother with you ,you'll have GOD'S words in your ears!! You find heaven in your Mothers arms, her lap is where you get sound sleep.Like there is a saying ,'I searched the world for Love and came home to find it' You will find love ,pure love only in the arms of your Mother!!

I have grown up under the care and guidance of my Mother. All her advices are precious and whatever values I imbibe in me today are the outcome of her advices. But if theres one such advice you want me to share here is the incident when I was adviced by her :

My mother was a beauty , she still is an eternal ethereal beauty , but the concept of her beauty long back was physical beauty while now it is more of a beautiful heart!
    She then used to be draped in the most expensive sarees ,all vivid colours, complementing her fair complexion, her long hair always adorned by the orchard of mulapoo.Her forehead was her trademark a huge round kumkum applied with the help of aasha as a base, bright red, seeking Gods blessing in keeping her husband safe and sound. Whenever she visited my school all kids would comment on what a beautiful mother I had.

The thirteenth day of my Fathers demise, I was a young girl , having a brother about three years elder and a younger sister by a couple of years. My Mother all of 35 years. I was sitting in the living room , thinking about my father, trying to solve the puzzle of the cruelities of life , wondering how we all especially my Mother will carry on , how long she would be saddled in the solitude of her bedroom. How many more days would the guests keep arriving and making mother cry?

I heard the noise of the door close. I turned around and saw my Mother all dressed in white all pale devoid of the big trademark Kumkum she was unrecognisable. I couldnt control my tears and have no idea how long I cried in her lap as I felt her stomach shaking an indication that she was crying as well. After what seemed like hours she finally spoke, all faint and inaudible ,I was listening more with my heart as she spoke more with her eyes, but she did say some words that I have treasured and waiting to pass it to my children! My mothers legacy!!
    Her words:
    “Your Daddy is no more and there might be Men suddenly getting affectionate. So not believe them and be on guard. Don’t allow any unwanted embraces”. I almost kicked a couple of male relatives who did try this, kicked them where it hurt the most and saw them very less in life.
    “Don’t tell anyone your problems. No one is genuinely interested in your problems. They potray things that they do not mean. Never tell the world your problems 70% are not interested and 30% are happy about it! Never trust a man till he gives you enough reason to do so! “ I have never shared my troubles. I am not cynical merely worldly wise.
    “Always remember there is Spring after Autumn so don’t let grief rule you and also remember there is Autumn after Spring so remember to be humble.” I am very optimistic and remember to cherish the good times and try to stay grounded(never let success go to my head).
    “In life never have your palms facing upwards in front of anyone , always have in facing downwards on the crown of people.” I can proudly say I have never asked anything from anyone , but have been very happy to bless.And pray to GOD that this continues. “Trust in GOD, He will help” .I speak to GOD myself .If I need something I ask if HE thinks I deserve , HE gives. I have never needed a mediator between HIM and me.
    “I never thought Daddy will go all of a sudden, I am in no position to fend as I have no idea about work having not worked anywhere, I want you to always be self sufficient. Even if you are married and very very rich I wish you always be self sufficient. You never know when and what is going to happen in life .Its better to be prepared”. Today she is happy to see me settled professionally.
    “Have faith and confidence in yourself . Do what you feel is right . At times follow your heart but insist on checking it with your head. You are a sensible girl . I can trust you to handle life well. I do not know how long I will live without your father that’s why I am telling you all this today before its very late.” I told her “ MA , I promise to follow your your advice.” The next moment I got up and went to the dressing table and came back to stick a red bindi , a small one on her forehead. I said “Ma , Dad will hate to see you without this, I shall follow all you say just please never remove this.” Its been about two decades and we both have kept our promise.!!
    MA........ THANKS!

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: May 8, 2008

2. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

Great Piece of note Devika,

i totally agree with you. MOM's are always great advisors .their experience , illusion would always turn right and sometimes we may not heed their words .........

Now being a mother , we could feel the serenity seeing our little ones walking up our line........of advise.

Cheers
    Ramya

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    So touching was what you felt for your Ma and the advice she gave you.Many Iam sure will be so grieved, that they cannot think straight, but your mom was able to tell you something that you would remember for life, so preciopus, that you could share it with us here today.
    There is no one like her and she , with all due respects to all the daddy' girls out there
    moulds us into what we are as we grow older.
    Congrats to both of u on keeping up your promise to each other!!!

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Devika
    So touchy and so true yes dear mom is the right person to give us advices. The advice given by your mom is so perfect. Thanks dear for sharing such wonderful advice of your mom with all of us.
    Sad to hear about ur dad. your mom is really a strong lady.
    You have put this article at an apt date. Tomorrow is Mother's day.

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Devika
    Its needless to say that your writing is just great..I am sorry about your loss with your Dad's death.. but look you and your Mom learned quite something from that.. and what great invaluable lesson it is... Thank you for sharing..

6. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear Devika,

Very nice.I was expecting a very good poem from you.

Great thing you have done by giving the bindi.Long live both of you.

7. lathamohan

lathamohan Bronze IL'ite

Dear devika,
    So touching....God bless.
    latha

8. ammvin

ammvin New IL'ite

Beautiful Devika,

Your Mother's words of wisdom was so touching. Yes, a Mother is always your best guide.

rgds
    ammvin

9. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Ramya,

Thanks for the wonderful opening!
    Yes I treasure the advice of my Mother and know that there have been times when her advice has kept me going.
    Every thing she has said is priceless, a legacy that I surely wish to pass on!!

Happy Mothers Day to you!!

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani,

Youre right I admire the courage my Mother had and still do when I think of the many adversities she faced I feel," Ma you went through all this"?? I admire the steel strength of my Mother . She is truly my inspiration ! Thanks for writing in Janani!

Happy Mothers Day to you!!
    Love,
    Devika

Last edited: May 7, 2008