1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Everything I do

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, May 7, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Sunitha woke up with a start. It took her a minute to open her eyes wide and glance sideways at her alarm clock. She had beat her alarm by just under a minute. She hurriedly shut it off and stepped off her bed without waking her husband. She entered the kitchen as a light grey dawn was peeping through her kitchen windows. She set the cooker and glanced idly at her calendar on the fridge door. Her face registered a startled look as she glared at the calendar as though it had made some mistake. Belatedly she realized no mistakes were made but she had forgotten an important guest coming for dinner that evening. Her youngest sisterinlaw (Shanthi) had called last week informing Sunitha that her (Shanthi’s) FIL would be visiting them and could Sunitha please host them for dinner. Sunitha had said Yes without any apparent hesitation though she was well aware of the work involved on a weekday. The past weekend had been too busy and she had completely forgotten this matter. Her mind now in a whirlwind of activity as she started making a list off all the things that needed to be done, her hands hurried with making coffee.
    She had just enough time to wake her husband, Kannan, and then run behind her sleeping daughter Anju as she helped get Anju ready for school. Meanwhile Kannan had his coffee and headed towards the bathroom to get ready for work.
    Anju wanted to know “Why the color of the sky was still grey”, What was amma thinking all the time”, Why did’n t the door bell ring with the arrival of their maid Lakshmi, Why could she not wear the yellow skirt to school, Why was her best friend Ram sick… and the questions endless. Sunitha barely got the kid ready and made her eat breakfast nodding her head without paying any attention to any of the questions.
    Anju must have noticed her mothers preoccupation that she kept quiet after a while. Kannan noticing their maids absence busied himself at the kitchen sink as Sunitha got everyone’s lunch boxes ready. Before she knew it she was sitting in her company’s bus still thinking about the evening’s guests. Mentally she checked off her list of things to be done. Her maid not coming had only helped add to the stress and she could barely think of anything else during a very busy work day. There seemed to be some connection with her absent maid and work because nothing went off as planned during the day with numerous problems from the customers, Sunitha somehow just made it home that evening.
    As Sunitha picked up Anju from after school daycare, she realized she needed some more items for that evenings dinner so she rushed through ShopFast with Anju in tow. With her mind so preoccupied she failed to notice the very quiet Anju by her side. Kannan came early too that evening and helped get everything ready for the guests. Shanthi’s FIL Balan mama turned out to be a fun person and had so many questions to ask both Kannan and Sunitha which they answered patiently. Finally the guests left very happy and Kannan started cleaning up while Sunitha got Anju ready for bed.
    Finally she noticed Anju being quiet and asked “Anju kutty whats up my sweet one”? and turned Anju’s face to her side. Anju’s big brown eyes looked at her mother for a few minutes before she asked quietly “Why don’t you love me amma? . Sunitha was compelely taken aback with this question that for a minute she just stared back at her daughters sad face. Kannan coming from behind heard this and rushed to Anju’s side. “My sweetest baby..How could you say that? Both amma and appa love you so much. You are all we have. We are working hard just for you”.
    But Anju continued to look sad and downcast. “If you both love me, why don’t you spend any time at all with me? Why don’t you answer any of my questions? Why didn’t you ask what I did at school today? Why did you answer ALL the questions that Balan mama asked but not any of mine?.All I have ever wanted was to be with both of you but you are always busy with no time for me... With that she turned and walked into her room to sleep and said a small goodnight to her parents still standing shocked by the door.
    Sunitha could barely control her tears as she sat in the sofa and Kannan tried to console her saying “Sometimes it gets so busy during the day..we cannot always spend time with Anju”. Sunitha knew that was no excuse at all and so did Kannan. They both realized very quickly they had to do some serious soul searching and decide if this is how they wanted to live their lives. With both parents working full time, they thought they could afford so much more for their kid but in the process had forgotten the child needed love and attention on a daily basis.
    Though it was very late when Sunitha and Kannan went to sleep that night, their minds had cleared. They were sad they had overlooked the most important person in their lives and finally made some important decisions together. Sunitha had decided to resign from her very demanding work by the month end and Kannan had decided to forego a promotion that involved more travel time.
    They both knew it was a small price to pay for the happiness and closeness that they wanted together as a family. Both knew they would have to sit down later and start a more frugal budget but nothing could overshadow their joy as they knew the quality time that they would finally have to spend with each other and with their beloved daughter too.

sindmani likes this.

2. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear AC,
    You have very well portrayed a typical household where both parents are working.I was surprised to hear from my cousin that in the day care where she sends her son parents are requesting to keep it open even on Sundays so that they can leave their kid & go to workRantOne of my friends was saying that she will never risk her job for a kid & started working leaving the kid at a daycare when he was just one month:droolI know a family where the husband is in Texas wife in Newyork & the baby is in India being taken care by the grandparents(poor kid! the grand parents from both side are having a tug of war for him)What values will the kid learn from such a family?But there are a few friends of mine who are well qualified professionals happily sitting at home & taking care of the baby:hatsoff

regards,
    ammu

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  3. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

A good write up AC. You have put in writing what many parents are going through now days. My Husband and I face similar but different dilemma some times. Though we give lots of time for our daughter, we are not able to concentrate on our careers and hobbies. Life seems stopped sometimes. Good thing is that we spend maximum time with our kid. (This is other way round of what you wrote in the story).

When we feel low, we both sit and do lot of soul searching. Questions pop up like popcorn..why are we here? What are we doing? What are important- parents, kids, society, money, career, opportunities, and health? How can we improve our situation? What about bringing another kid into a situation like this where we are not satisfied with our careers and cannot enjoy life. We spend all our time with our kid and we are very happy about it, but we are lagging behind when we see others moving up that career ladder or making their other financial dreams possible! It is a tough choice – be it here or in India!

I think it is all in balancing what all you want to do while realizing what is important and at which state. My daughter would never be two again and I need to do all the things that two year olds do, with her. You may have to give up some things to make the most precious things possible in life. Though my statements do not completely answer or satisfy my own dilemma, this is an everyday but difficult problem faced by many couples.

-Venus

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hello AC ,thread "retired or not-retired made u write this i think.The argument is a never ending one.Its a common scenario now-a-days.Priorities have changed.Choosing side is tough.i dont wish to comment on working parents.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi AC,

So been listening to Brayn Adams lately??? i love this song.

Anyway, lovely story. Don't we all moms go through this. Especially when we are working and kids are sick and we do not have leave bonkbonk

But i guess, we do have a lot of women these days who can balance work and kids without the kids feeling unloved.

Keep writing.

Vandhana

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi AC,

An excellent description of a household with working parents.

But one thing, I would like to say...even when one of the parent is not working, these kind of situations do arise. So, I will not point fingers at working parents alone.

As Vandhana pointed out, there are parents who do balance the work and family quite well.

And before you begin to wonder as to whether I am working or not...no, I am not working..I am a home maker...but sometimes I do like to say that I am working @ home :) which confuses most people.

Also, I've decided not to work for now, since, personally, I feel that my children need me the most at this stage. I feel that I cannot do a good juggle between work & family and it is totally my individual choice.Probably, I have the luxury of taking this decision.

But in some cases, both parents have to work to meet their ends and in others, they don't want to waste their time& education/improve career/earn more money/savings/prove their worth and that makes them stick on to their jobs. To each his own !

Anway, back to the point, there are very rare cases where the parents place their careers before the kids..but when it happens...it is a question of priorities once again.

Each family have their own standards & goals to maintain/achieve.

It is a wonderful story that you have depicted..but I am still wondering as to why the woman (Sunitha) resigned her job and not her husband (Kannan).

Please don't mistake me..I am not talking women's liberation here..but out of curiosity..I am asking..why the female always takes a step back and makes the necessary adjustments/sacrifices especially when we are in the 21st century !

Definitely, if the woman is able to give all the love and care needed for a child, she should definitely pursue her career.

Suffice it to say, both the parents need to meet half way and take equal responsibility to give attention to their children.

And now, when i was writing this post, another thought occured to me..what if they are single parents and they have to work to support themselves and their kids too? Will they have the luxury to resign their jobs and sit at home?

Please don't mistake me AC..probably I should have read it as a story and let it go...but I took the liberty of sharing my views. Computer Typing

Regards
    Krithika

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

very well portrayed, just in time to look into this and the ending was juts superb, i have written many on this subject and this scene has really complimented the problem that gets a miss in this mechanical world..sunkan

8. Anandchitra

Ammu dear
    Now the trend is for day care's to be open 24/7! and there's demand for that too.. Like you have so well pointed out there are all kinds.. different choices..

9. Anandchitra

Dear Venus
    You have given such an impressive reply.. and you so rightly say its the balancing..

10. Anandchitra

Dear Supriya
    The reason I wrote this is because i have been thro all of this in my life.. Though I stay at home, trust me there are so many demands to your time that we cannot always do complete justice.. thats why I wrote.. since it really bothers me that I have so much to do.. sometimes I have to take up tasks to help out either friends or family or volunteer at the local temple.. all these times are taken from family... Its not just for working parents but if we want to do justice to quality time spent with family its tough.. I think.. so I wrote this.. am glad to see the comments.. I actually thought to myself no one's going to have this situation as I do!