1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Classical dance and yoga

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Just now I heard something which was very enlightening to me atleast.
    A very famous Mohini Attam exponent from kerala in Malayalam Doordarshan says just as one can liberate oneself by yoga so also by classical dance.

Just as the Kundalini is awakened by yoga so also there are ways by which the same kundalini can be activated by classical dance. ie. The sleeping serpent lying dormant can be awakened.

This makes me think perhaps this is the reason why Lord Siva also a great yogi shown in dance posture. Could the cosmic posture be symbolic representing the unity of body and mind through dance.
    Another thing which she said was,about the nerves going from the spinal cord to brain . While doing the breathing exercises the prana is channelised through one channel and the same prana is channelised down through another set of nerves. Prana flowing through Idi and pingala is represented as sun and moon.:idea

We also see moon in the head of Shiva. I don't know whether it symbolises that by taking the prana through one channel and bringing through prana back to kundalini , the :ideakundalini can be activated and thus one can liberate our soul.The sahasradhara point which is considerd the seat of shiv shakti can be attained through dance or music.
    Can anyone enlighten me on this point?. kanaka

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kanaka
    WOW you have written so well abou tthis interesting topic.. I really admire your style of presentation.. so many facts laid out so well.. I am not familiar with allt hese aspects so am not in a position to comment..but glad you wrote this way I get to become more familiar too:)

3. swethakrishnan

swethakrishnan Senior IL'ite

Hello Kanaka Ma'am
    This was an amazing post ... full of information ... but its sad that I cant comment much on it as I dont practice yoga ... all I do is Classical Dance. I've heard that like dance, yoga is a great way to spend time and stay in shape. Also, you enlighten your mind in the process ... am I right?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  4. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Kanaka M'am,

I love Classical dancing ... But, I haven't learnt it (muraipadi) ... During my small age, I was learning but I couldn't continue as we kept changing our house and I kept joining in new places and finnaly my Mom dropped :frown: ... So, Classical Dance was always been my Ambition, Dream and what not ... But, I kept learning myself watching TV and dance at home with expressions... I still dance on my own at home for songs which is a Great exercise and relaxation for me ... And, I do some Yoga postures too ... But, what you have written is true and mind blowing ... Thanks for sharing here M'am ... Regards, Suni ... :)

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

i am a bharatanatyam dancer. Yes to a large extent dancing is yoga. i do tell my students that it unites the body, mind and soul......just like the asanas, we have our physical movements, but set to a rhythm and music.....that is more enjoyable and we dont feel it is an exercise. Also it is like meditation, we practise the same steps , songs and dance items many , many times, to achieve prefection first, which then leads to understanding the inner meaning and also it kind of makes one feel One with Oneself and the Lord! Most of the songs are bhakthi oriented, and many speak of the relationships with God in different angles. So finally it connects us to the Universe and also be in touch with one's inner self!
    As far as i know, Yoga is also does the same. And since we do have vigorous movements, our breathe control also comes into play when Dancing. So there also Yoga and Pranayama and Dancing are interrelated.
    Only problem these days is, no one understand the depth in Classical form.....many feel it is a bore and many just want to dress well and go on Stage and get recognition and fame. Not many think on these philosophical, spiritual lines anymore!
    And for your information, the symbol of DANCING SHIVA has so many meanings! Will try to compile everything and bring it here soon!
    But great topic, i am happy to see someone so interested! Thanks for asking in this forum, gives us all a chance to share and discuss!

6. swethakrishnan

Dear Sudha Ma'am
    Really true ... I'm sure your students will be learning a great deal from you.
    Unfortunately, this is the problem these days. Everyone says that they are classically trained but, as you said, its not looked at from the philosophical and spiritual angles anymore ... it is also not given the importance it deserves.
    I'm waiting to read further on this topic.

Thank you Kanaka Ma'am for starting this thread ... I'm learning a lot ...

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Swetha,

That was quick response......are u also a dancer....if so share ur views also from what u have learnt!

I would love to go deeper into this topic definitely!

8. swethakrishnan

Dear Sudha Ma'am

Yes, I'm a trained Bharathanatyam and Kuchipudi dancer ... I've been learning here in Dubai for the past 14years ...

From your post, I could see that it was not a student, but a teacher writing ... You have covered all the aspects in your previous post ... I'm left with nothing to write about ... waiting to read about Nataraja from you ...

9. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sudha and Swetha M'am,

Nice to meet Dance Teachers here ... How nice to see Dance Teachers in foreign countries which makes our New Generation to learn our Classical Dance ... I loved to learn BharathaNatiyam but I am very unlucky and my dream now is to teach my Daughter ... But, we do not have any teachers nearby ... :frown:

May God Bless you to teach many children in and around your places ... Thanks for your informations you are provding here M'ams... Regards, Suni ... :)

10. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sudha and Shweta,\

Please express your views on the Dancing segment seen in those reality shows. Do you approve such gimmicks in the name of classical art? I think both of you can start a discussion on this and enlighten us. kanaka