1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why Die for Others

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Why Die for Others

Recently I was watching Zanjeer on Cable.The whiskey was on, i was having my full glass, and in the movie Om Prakash, drunk and with an empty bottle, was lecturing Amitabh to fight the guys who made the spurious whiskey that killed his 3 sons.

Jaya his wife is excited and telling Amitabh that they will have new curtains in their new house,and comes to show him the designs.Our man then gets angry and tells her, that let people die on the streets, let this and that happen, and i will sit in the house with u,with curtains closed,with my head in yr lap etc.The poor lady is shocked to see so much venom coming out from hubby.Amitabh wanted to remove all evil in the world, and make it a perfect place.He had a happy ending,the villian got killed.But this happens only in films, but real life is different from reel life.

Well the thought is right no doubt.All of us would like to do something for the downtrodden,the sick,the poor, beggars,orphans, remove corruption and other things.But my point is, is it worth it ?Look at a few examples that come to mind, of which most of u know about

1) Manjunath - Around 3 years back, he blacklisted a petrol pump that was selling adulterated petrol.He got their licences cancelled.Result - He was murdered.And it is business as usual for the petrol pump guys.

2) Prof Sabharwal - was murdered right before the TV cameras.Even his collegues for whom he was fighting for, say they did not see anything.

3) Arun Bhatia - The famous collector,who always fought with the higher authoriteis and battled corruption , always gets transferred around the country, for whom the common citizen vouches,and for whom the whole town came out in support, as the best guy they have seen,but he is not allowed to stay inone place.

4) Khairnar - The demolition man of Mumbai, the most respected, honest and feared person,who demolished many illegal buildings, whre none of his predeccors dared to step, was shunned even by Shiv Sena.He lived a very simple life, and his real sister is working as a maid in some house.He fears for his life

5) Mandal Boy - I forget his name,who immolated himself in 89, in oppostition to Mandal.What happened ?He was in and out of hospitals,he died last year.

6) Zaheera =Best Bakery Case – Seetalvad went to her aid,and look at the outcome.Zaheera changed her statements every day.And all Settalvad got was mud on her face.She was accused of kidnapping Zaheera !

My point is, why stick yr neck out.Its your job and life at stake.Manjulnath,Sabarwal and Mandal boy left behind widows,and children.Who will take care of them ? They should have thought of the repercussions of their actions,why put ur family to distress, all for your ideals ?

Mandal Boy,Rajeev i think,he got his two minutes of fame and glory,and faced a lifetime in hospitals,and died in penury.None of the political parties came to pay condolences , nor did the students for whom he burnt himself.What did Manjulnath get in return for his honesty ? Death.

I feel we have enough problems of our own, to delve into cleaning soceity.Yes do your duty honestly,but at the same time take care not to tread on sensitive toes, and losing your life, and make yr loved ones suffer.No one will come forward to your aid, and even the persons for whom u laid your life for, will not come to help your widow.Each to their own, is the name of the Game.Why feel guilty about being comfortable in life.Enjoy it,dont harm others,dont go about making enemies,and dont make yr wife a widow early in life.Keep your ideals in the backseat for a while.

Pure Gold is useless.Impurities have to be mixed for it to be strong and useful.Why be brittle like pure Gold, and get crushed and lose your life.these things are good in movies, but impractical in real life.No one can look after your wife and family better than yourself.The End.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

May we agree to disagree?

Yes to a point I guess you are right! Not every move of bravery is welcomed .
    But then our country is known for its valiant soldiers. If everyone thought like this,there would be no body in the army, navy and airforce. I salute all those at the border trying to save our coutry from disaster!
    I feel if you see corruption stand up to it and try to see its end to the best of your capabilities. Many movies are made on the life of true stories. The recent Bhagat Singh and Rang De Basanti are inspirational. As far as death is concerned, you cannot shield it for ever. One must not forget his duty for fear of death , if one does so they are living in a fools paradise.
    Atleast in India the sprirt of helping someone at the cost of their life is not unknown.
    I remember the airhostess Neerja who saved many lives before succumbing to her own fate. During the horrendous floods in Mumbai there were umpteen Samaritans whe saved so many lives but lost theirs. Recently a kid was saved from a pit. I wonder what would happen if people really turned a blind eye to others sorrow!
    Infact its better to die doing some good to others and be called Shaheed , than live a selfish exiestence and be wiped in the sands of time.

Regards,
    Devika

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  3. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

What an interesting thread!

It is ironic that you write about this when I was thinking about something similar for the last 2 days. I watched the movie Shakti 2 days ago (old one, Amitabh and Dilip Kumar). Although I liked Dilip Kumar’s honesty and commitment to his profession, I somehow felt that he ended up being too heartless for his own folks (wife and kid). I kept thinking if his extreme commitment to his profession and to his values was the right thing to do? After all, he committed himself to being a husband and a father too. Somewhere I felt he failed miserably as both.

I think this matter is far more complicated than our mind thinks it is. I don’t think I have a straight answer to it. I think it depends greatly on the situation, the people you are fighting against, how much of a difference you will be able to make and most importantly the people you are directly or indirectly putting on the line.

While I agree with Devika that someone has to do it. If everyone thought that it is not their job then we would not have any hope in this world. Most times I think like that. But the times when I am faced with putting my family on the line, I re-think. Re-think hard.

I absolutely loved the movie Rang De Basanti. I have watched it many times over.
    However, in real life, other practicalities do come into play. While you go on the path to purging the world of all the misdeeds, what about the kids and your family who depend on you? Like you said Kamalji, can a Mom or Dad be replaced by anyone? Nope.

As I have admitted before, I have no answers to all of these. I just mull over these questions over and over again whenever some incidents prompt me to do so.

Like you said Kamalji, I do follow a few things that I hope make a positive difference in this world. I try not to tolerate injustice to myself or to others when I can say a few words or do a few actions that will make a difference. When I visit India and I am asked to go the Red channel at customs in spite of having nothing that warrants me going through there, I patiently wait and waste hours letting them ransack through each of my bags. I do not take the easy path of walking away after handing them what they are looking for (a few dollars). When I was in India, I would raise a stink about people breaking the queue at bus stops, ticket counters etc. I would not tolerate the indecent guys in the local trains in Mumbai.

I strongly believe in influencing people’s mind and creating more minds that will collectively work towards bringing justice and fairness. If I can get even a few of my friends to not bribe the customs guy after hearing what I do, then I think I have made a difference in some small way.

So at my level where I think my actions and words have an impact, I do what I can. But at levels where my actions or my dying act has no lasting impact, I am not sure what I would do.

Many times I wonder if fighting a battle you know you are bound to lose is worth fighting at all. Instead, wouldn’t it be worth waiting for the next opportune moment to fight when the chances of winning are far greater? I often debate with myself about it.

Anyway. I went way too long than I had originally planned for! What to do? You wrote on such an interesting topic and brought forth such pertinent dilemmas in life that I could not help but indulge!

SS

4. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Kamalji..
    I agree with u till some extent...I too don't recomend burning our house to give light to others...We should not poke our nose in those affairs where our family n our prestige would b at stake latter...As Devikaji has written ''One must not forget his duty for fear of death '' its better to die doing some good to others and be called Shaheed'' But if a soldier dies he does not leave any enemies to stalk his families.His wife,kids n other close relative neet not fear for their lives n need go into hidings.....Yes death may come in any form n v must b ready to face it, n that does not mean we should do any thing dangerous to kill ourselves...Suicide is a crime...What I mean to say Both you and Devikaji are correct in your views... Mahatma Gandhiji (Father of the nation)..Was he a real father to his own kids..Correct me if I am Wrong..
    To the world you are a one man,but to one you may b the world...
    No 2 men think alike...Hope I have proven my view...

Pure Gold is useless.Impurities have to be mixed for it to be strong and useful.

5. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji

That was a totally different but a realistic view given by you. It set me thinking! :coffee

Yes. When you are young and energetic, you feel that you are 'the saviour' of this world and try to act as one. It's only when you go thru 'life' you realise, how different it is from what you thought! You become mature (may be wise, may not be wise:)) as you go thru the realities of life.

It is unfortunate that young people like 'manjunath' did not get to see the light at the end of the tunnel.... but it is always better to remember the saying 'pick and choose your battles'.

Yes. Definitely, it is not worth dying for others. It is just enough if we make sure that we do not 'break' any laws as we go thru our lives!

Regards

6. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji,

What a coincidence.................a topic which i was discussing with my 11 year old daughter.............. i just came to IL after watching a tamil movie "samurai", with these same issues about corruption, poverty...............i told my daughter all these are only in movies.........she asked me who is going to correct this society..................i told the same thing, we are not the only one to do this.........

As these are perennial problems, who is going to support us in eradicating these killing issues of a nation like India....................a very interesting topic with many opinions from our friends.......as far as i am concerned, the whole nation has to change.............you, me, and all those dear friends in this thread.........this will be only a dream for us........................you made me to ponder and ponder over these issues....

love
    padma

7. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Kamalji
    I dont agree totally with this view.Yes to much extent we all think about saving our skin before raising our voice to any wrong doing but than this attitude has resulted in people dying on roadside accedent becoz no body want to help them. Females & girls being abused & molested in trains full of people ,in work places & like places becoz nobdy want to risk his/her neck.
    Than comes a time when due to this attitude even our own home wud bot be safe from wrong doers.
    What when somebody targets us & nobody comes to help ?
    Untill unless people unite & raise their voice no good changes wud occuar.
    Though the examples citted by u are correct to certain extent but they cant set good example .
    What about the murder of jessica lal ,raised voices of people & unity lead to so many culprits to be arrested which were not intially.
    About the black deer shikar by salman khan it was the voice of people who resulted in awareness of people.
    The Great indian army if started thinking on these lines where wud we be ? safe in our home ?

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hey guys... there is a movie in the same context.. u guys got to see it...

If you havent please watch this movie.. the reality of today's Indian society -

Dombivili Fast - Marathi movie

Tamils or if you know tamil - Evano Oruvan

A very nice movie.... Tells you... in reality its a monster that you are eager to fight against.. will you win?

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji,
    Always a debated topic...

I remember one movie in Tamil, where the hero says like this:
    "You people want the social atrocities to end and expect one person to do that.
    If that person is known to you, you are afraid that your family is at stake".

True, helping others is not a problem at all...when fighting with criminals--one has to do with enormous support---and see to it that the criminals cannot escape...
    I don't know if it is possible...fighting alone is of no use....fight it as a group...

sriniketan

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Devika.

Yes we can always agree to disagree.otherwise what use discussions in blogs.

Policemen and armymen take up jobs knowing they could lose their lives in their sense of duty, i agree.

What i talk of is different.Being too upright, treading on too many powerful toes is dangerous.I wouldnt like to die like that.Each to their own.Regards.kamal