1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ironies of Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Ironies of Life

My daughter gave her MAT exam and agot a call fromChrist College ,Banglore.So we went there for a few days,and a few blogger friends made our life heaven there.We met Sunkan, and her daughter,and we had dinner together, and i and daughter Shoba thank her and her daughter for the wonderful time we had with them,and the love and affection they showered on us.Thanks to u both

When i was in Christ college, while Sita was giving her group discussion,i stood in the basementof the college but it took a few hours.Feeling bored,I came out to smoke outside the college premises.I wanted to sit down,and saw two guys sitting on the pavement,and i too sat down.We got talking, and both had come for the same reasons.One guy was from Kanpur, and the other from Jaipur who came with his daughter.

I offered him my cigarette, and i noticed his collor was torn.I started to wonder,how can this man afford the education.How much these people have to sacrifice in life, for their children.How much he must have saved and scrounged,spenidng lakhs on his daughter's education,the least he could do was buy himself some decent clothes.Well he asked for my address and we agreed to meet in Jaipur.

Today he came down tomeet me, and he was very happy that his daughter got thru.and was disappointed that my daughter did not.But well, i am very very happy for him and his daughter.He has some savings, which will go to fund his daughter's education, and he was asking me some tips on business.He is down and out,and he said he needs 25,000 per month income at least, and he dosnt have a penny to invest.I felt so sad, a grown man in his fifties,and having to struggle once again,what must be going through his mind,I wonder.Life can be cruel at times.I feel happy for his daughter, and sad for him.

At lunch today,was telling this to my wife, daughter and brother,this story of the ironies of life.Brother comes up with a similar example.
    In the late Seventies, Harinder Singh , now of Percept Communications, who hold contracts of Ganguly and Yuvraj Singh,and a turnover of 2000 crores per annum, applied for an MBA programme, along with another friend of mine.the friend got through and today earns 2 lakhs per month.Harinder Singh did not, and was very dejected.He worked here and there,till fortune blessed him with Percept.And today, Harinder Singh just hires MBA's, and his earnings must be a few hundred crores a year.He owns the swankiest cars that i have seen.

I am not suggestiing by any means that Studies or education is not important.What i mean is, not getting a MBA seat is not the end of the world.The 2 lakh a month friend is happy in his own way, but then so is Harinder Singh.If not getting an MBA seat was a misfortune, then strong willed men like Harinder turn these misfortunes to harden themselves and make a fortune with what life serves them with.

As they say" If God gives u a lemon, make a nice lemonade ".I guess this is what Harinder did, make the most.And today he hires all the top class MBA;s for Percept.And they are into movies now as well,their latest being "Hanuman" the animation movie.Iknow for one uneducated Dhirubhai Ambani, there are 10 educated rich inustralists like Kumaramangalam Birla,Ness Wadia,and so many others.Education is neccesary in today's times,as it gives u the edge.But for those unfortunate not being able to get in the colleges of their choice either due to less marks, or lack of finance, need not lose heart.For the Brave the world is open.

and i hope this Jaipur Gentleman does well in life, and if i can do anything for him,it will give me great pleasure and satisfaction, to put someone on his feet.God will bless him, and i hope his daughter will understand under what circumstances he father has put her in the best college he could ill afford, and she remembers him with love and gratitude.God bless them.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kamalji
    That was a great write up by you a wonderful piece. After a long time.
    You are right there are many such people who are still struggling in they life at the age of fifties, educating they kids and all. It is really sad to read about them.
    On the other hand smart people who know, how to earn out of nothing in life.
    Wow it is great to know that you met Sunkan and her daughter.
    Freakonomics yes I read it, it is really a freaky book, but enjoyed it.

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Kamalji,
    Really great article about many parents struggle for their kids good future.
    I strongly agree that just education ( I mean the knowledge what you get from books ) is not sufficient for today's world.
    You have to be open and sharp enough to grab the oppurtunity which comes in your way.
    I have seen many of my friends who were top rankers didn't get along the interview (because of their communication skills and general knowledge)and now they are staying home.
    It is LAW of AVERAGES.
    And we need to understand that we won't get everything in this world.
    In order to be successful in this world we have to over come weakness and learn thru it.

Thanks,
    Punitha

4. preethi27

preethi27 Senior IL'ite

Great write up!!! :clap I have seen these situations at my home. My point is also similar to your point. It is not that ,only if you do your higher studies you can come up in your life. We have to grab things when the door knocks. For every person there is a way. Only thing is, we should have the "Will"

Regards
    Preethi

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up, Kamalji!
    Nice meeting in B'lore.

It is true that 'degree-education' is not the end of life. Hope your daughter also has the same idea as yours, and wish her good-luck.

Those who learn from their mistakes or grab the opportunity that comes their way, are those people who succeed in life.
    In Tamil there is also a saying related to this.

On a lighter note,
    'opportunity was knocking a person's door and he didn't answer it and one more time it knocked and he asked who it was and the opportunity answered it is the 'opportunity' and the man chuckled and said , you are lying because, opportunity knocks only once'....

sriniketan

6. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Iam glad that though that man you met could not afford to educate his daughter he is giving it his best.it was so touching to see that even when he is not settled he wants to make her well educated. Thanks for sharing.
    What you said is right it is not enough if that girl is thru with her studies she must appreciate the effort put in by her father. Everybody is not lucky like the guy from percept, right?

7. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

So our great friend had gone to Bangalore to have dinner is it???:clap:clap:spin:spin:spin.... Great....

Great post .... There are many talented people who pursue their studies inspite of struggling for day today life.... The parents struggle hard to ensure that the kids fullfill their ambition.... As long as the kids also understand this and excels in their studies it is good.... I dont want to talk about the other side, as I have seen quiet a few of them...

It is not required that you should be highly qulified to be successful in life... I have seen a person in Pondy who has reached high status but he is not at all qualified and well established... Again.. What is the measuring point...??? It varies from person to person....

Veda

8. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

dear kamalji,i have seen my parents give up small pleasures to make a small investments for me.as for me i dont think i do as much for my children,I wonder if we are losing the generation of parents who had the heart to give up anything for their children.humera.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Humera,

YEs our parents have done so much for us,we cant even do a fraction of that for our kids.Thanks and Regards.kamal

Veda,

Yes, it depends person to personVeda.Thanks and regards.kamal

Janani,

Percept guy is my personal friend.We stayed in the same building for over 25 years,played cricket together on the roads.I have seen him struggle,a nd make it.He worked hard, and luck too helped him.

The children should be grateful if parents go beyond their financial means to educate them more than they themselves are.And waring torn clothes, such parents deserve our highest esteem.I was very touched with that person.God bless him and his daughters.REgards.kamal

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

athe opportunity was a good one, never heard that one before.Yes we have to make the most of what is served to us,for sure.why crib and cry.Thanks for the great comments Sri.Regards.kamal

Preeti,

Well said.the will is important, the ways are always there.Regards.kamal