1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please dont take them for granted!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

A thought always nagging me is ,Am i doing enough for my Mother. I wish to give her all the happiness rightfully deserved by her!!!.
    We often take our parents for granted .I did too. I always expected my Mother to do all that i expected her to do... which I now feel was a lot.
    But as I grow and with age i realise the numerous sacrifices my parents made and not a word of appreciation from kids.Yes its true, I dont think there are many of us who have dropped appreciative words to our parents. We always considered whatever theyve done to be a part of their responsibility ,

I never thought how many sleepless nights my Mom spent when I was born,till I gave birth to my son. I never realised how much of her youth was spent in raising us kids till I spent a major portion of my life doing just that. And even as I" crib about any additional responsibility, I remember my Mothers ever cheerful face with tired eyes.

I wish we all are more vocal and appreciative towards our parents and nestling them in comfort during the sunset of their lives. I lost my father when I was very young.I was his pet, he pampered me a lot. Never wanted to see me cry.I could speak to him about anything and I spent a lot of time just talking to him.I learnt a lot from my Father which stands me in good stead even after 25 years. He passed away suddently. We were on our way back from a marriage when he suddenly developed a chest pain. We somehow reached home and mom got busy trying to locate some doctors. Being a Sunday most of them were not around. While she was tracing doctors in her panicky state,I was with my Dad,I looked at him and he looked very vulnerable,and in extreme pain, I tried calling out to him, but realised he wasnt listening to me, he was semi-conscious. Suddenly panic struck , I wanted to tell him I loved him very much and coudnt live without him,but it was too late. I had spoken to him about so many things but never mentioned to him that i loved him and that he was a wonderful Dad.I missed the opportunity and till today regret it. But now I dont want to do it to my Mother. I keep telling her that she is a great mom and she has been a great support to us. You may think that as parents they know that we love them, but believe me saying it makes a big difference,For example: You know your husband loves you but hearing him say it makes a big difference doesnt it.?
    Parents should never be taken for granted,Their efforts should be appreciated and they should be felt loved and wanted . Remember your kids are watching you and tomorrow when you need them they should be inspired by the love youve showered on your parents.Today when I see my Mother happy,I can feel the blessings of my Father on me and gives me a lot of peace!
    I remember the chance I lost with my Dad keep pressing my family members to keep expressing their love and believe me it creates magic at home after all what would be more magical than the words"MOM & DAD WE LOVE YOU AND THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH FOR EVERYTHING"

Dont miss the opportunity any more!!

Regards,

Devika

2. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Hi!

Truly very well said !

3. diwali

diwali Senior IL'ite

Dear Devika,

:exactly:, well said i agree with u....

i'am sorry abt u r father...

Regards,
    Sri

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Well written, Devika!
    Truly said, we take many things for granted and we demand more!
    I am also in the same boat as you, in my earlier years but now I realise how stupid I was and everything.
    Nowadays, whenever I find time or oppurtunity, I appreciate my parents work.
    I will follow your suggestion from now on!

Keep posting!

sriniketan

5. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    That was a wonderful write up.
    Your narration of your father's death in front of your eyes brought tears in my eyes.Very touching.:kiss
    May God bless daughters like you who understand parents' love and care!
    Most of us ladies, who want to do a lot to our parents are tied up with our busy schedule and responsibilities as wife, mother etc.
    May your post make ppl realise their responsibilities towards their parents and urge them to act!
    Love
    Meena

6. Girlfriend

Girlfriend New IL'ite

Hi Devika,

Very emotional post indeed. You are so right. we always take our parents painstaking efforts for granted.

When young, I was very fussy about food. Most of the time, I used to complain about lack of variety to my mother.

I realized only after marriage (When I started cooking daily)
    how those regular dishes takes so much of efforts.

These kind of incidents are endless really. I guess we gals truly understand our parents only after marriage and after being mom. (I am not a mom yet though.)
    What do you say.

Regards
    Parul

7. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriniketan,

I am very glad that you are thinking of following my suggestion. Believe me it will bring a lot of positivity to yourself and your family.

Take care,
    Devika

Truly said, we take many things for granted and we demand more!
    I am also in the same boat as you, in my earlier years but now I realise how stupid I was and everything.
    Nowadays, whenever I find time or oppurtunity, I appreciate my parents work.
    I will follow your suggestion from now on!

Keep posting!

sriniketan[/quote]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi Parul,

Your right we often realise things and the importance of people very late in our lives. But if realization has dawned , thats a big relief. I wish you have enough opportunity to catch up with what youve left.

Take care,

Devika

9. srivatsa

srivatsa New IL'ite

I have to be much more thankful to my parents. They are also taking care of my son from the past two years, which i would never do as best as they are doing it.

And i do make sure always in words and deeds tell them how much i love them and how much i am thankful for all they have been doing .

Regards
    Sri

10. vijubala

vijubala Bronze IL'ite

Dear Devika,
    Really U have opened my eyes.Just after reading ur post I felt I much I denied showing my love towards my parents.I finished writing a letter to my parents just to say"Dear Mom & Dad,I love U so much ,Thanx for all you have done to Us & I beg apology for whatever I had done".Thanx once again for posting such a wonderful thing at the apt time.For this valentine's day,My parents are my VALENTINE!!!