1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has AGE Got Anything to do with FRIENDSHIP???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by malspie, Jan 17, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Has age got anything to do with friendship?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Friends,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have always wondered about this question as it has no relevance in my life. When friendship develops age takes a leap in to the well. It has been the reality of my life. When two minds and hearts strike a good balance a beautiful friendship blooms in to a lovely flower and remains in full bloom forever. The friends of my life vary from a 10 year old kid to a 62 year old lady. I hit well with both generations and am a real pal to both. What has age got to do with friendship? Nothing, it has no room in my life. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]People around me wonder what I am doing with such seniors, what discussions we will be having!! Few have asked me to check my mental status, why such old people are your friends, why is that young girl in her teens your good friend. I need not answer such trivial questions. I find bliss in the friendship and am enjoying my life's best moments. Lets wade in the bouncy ocean of my friends and shake hands with a few drops.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My first elderly friend was an Uncle (my dad’s acquaintance) who would walk home wine and dine with us very often. I was 12 years old and he was 27 years old. Uncle and I had become friends, I realized when we both would take few lovely moments of private chat in the balcony. He would ask me about my school and would stop me and warn me of the world outside. Uncle’s chat was not like a boring adult. He would very sweetly educate me to live life outside my lovely cocoon. He had even tutored me to keep distance from men as all are not like him. There are men who take advantage of an adolescent in the name of “Uncle”. He drew me to that world quoting examples. I sincerely thank my Uncle friend for guiding me to live life on my own. When Uncle left for Kerala to practice his law, I cried a lot. I missed a friend.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My next encounter was with an elderly lady (30 years old) and I was 14. She was my moms friend but hit with me well too. She was a “Sindhi” by caste and her make-up and dressing style would amuse me. I had seen such woman only on Television and Film Magazines. Though my mother belonged to the well dressed woman category, this woman was more on the “glam” side. I would sit and watch how she used the “mascara”, ‘eye-liner”, “lip-liner”, blow dry her hair, collection of perfumes. She had a box full of make-up appliances and her wardrobe had latest collection of Salwar Suits. I always found her masked with some packs on her face and a few curls on her hair. My curiosity and admiration for her, brought us close. She guided me how to work on the make-up and strictly warned me not to use any of them till I reach the threashold of 30’s. The beauty of the skin lies in leaving it to Mother Nature in the tender age. I lived up to the promise I had made to her and never touched any make-up, though I indulged in a facial once just for the heck of it. I have done my “beautician” course and apply packs and creams on my friends but never tried anything on my skin. My friend had told me so. This friend slowly migrated to another city.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I would always go to spend my holidays with my dad’s brother. He was a cute guy and I has started holidaying in his house after I completed my 10<sup>th</sup> standard. He would often read lots of novels and I was very interested in reading from a very young age. I asked him to subscribe me with one of the libraries around and he lovingly agreed. I would come down with my “Mills and Boons” and read it in a day. Every morning before my uncle left for work, I would pick his choice of novel and read the bound cover (last page) to have a feel of what he is reading. He told me he reads only books of “Chase” and I followed suit. We would discuss about books and would sit till late night. His sons were very scared of him and will never be around him. I had no such fear, he was my favorite uncle and I would spend almost my whole evening with him. On Sundays, he would get my favorite VCD’ s and we would sit and watch movies together. He was a sports fan and me too. We both have sat together and watch the Asian games fully. My Uncle was my best friend and he was 45 years old. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My next friend is 5 years younger to me. Initially, she would look up to me as I am holding a very senior position in the office and she is a junior. People of her “Grade” are not allowed to enter our Zone. Our Zone is marked as special Zone and only people holding very high ranks are allowed here. We both hit well during our lunch session, where we all sat together and dined to glory. Slowly we started sitting together and then we became best of friends which is still ON!!!!!. I would keep “Goodies” in my bag and she would come to eat them around [/FONT]<st1:time minute="0" hour="11">[FONT=&quot]11.00 a.m.[/FONT]</st1:time>[FONT=&quot] She was damn scared and would often tell me, HR department is going to issue notice to me for coming here. My boss had also spotted her twice with me in the special zone where she is not allowed. He once even stopped near my table and had a good look at her which sent shivers down her spine. I would encourage her to hold her feet firmly, I am there, I will take care, I will speak and these words would encourage her to be around. She was the only person allowed (later) to be in our floor, (the reason is since my boss did not object there was no say from anywhere – he is the seniormost!!!!!!). It has been 10 years now that we are friends but age has got nothing to do with friendship. Often, she tells me, God has kept us together so that you can take care of my young days and I can take care of your old days. Its true!!!!!!!!!!![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The next friend was 56 years old when I met her. Her zeal for life and her humourous nature had brought us together. She was a prankster and was always upto something. She was an achiever too. She had a husband and two daughters. Her husband loved to do small jobs and be happy. She was very ambitious and had worked hard to have a flat of her own and earn a position in the office. Due to her limited qualifications she could not hop from one job to another but preferred to work hard and get promoted brick by brick. When her second daughter received a proposal from one of the owners of the leading chain of hotels of Mumbai, she did not back out. She spent around 7 lakhs for the wedding by borrowing money and wiping out her provident fund money. The company appreciated her courage (she was 55 then) and still on roll as a retainer in the company. God blesses people with good heart. She became my best friend, I call her by name and we both are called twin souls in office cause both of are fun loving, humourous always up to some pranks and achievers in our own way. We both talk and discuss almost everything under the sun, at times she does play the senior and advice me on issues of life and I have tied all her advices in to a knot in my head. I call her by a sweet name (people who are close to me always get a special name from me) and she enjoyes being addressed as such. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My next friend is a 60 year young man who loves to spend most of his time with me in office. He is one of the Directors of the organization and chats with me on subjects like African Safari, gems, games of life and plenty of other things. His discussions are so lively and he is a true entertainer. He is also very fun loving and at the same time a strict disciplinarian. I always place him before all the youngsters and ask them to pick a thread or two from him to live life so full. Again age is not the factor. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Another friend is a 10 year old girl who comes and tells me everything about her school and the affairs thereon. Her conversations are very amusing and her parents are always for a surprise how she unwinds herself so easily with me. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Apart from friends of my age group I have young, not so young and old and youth mixed friends. Age was or will be never a factor for making friends. I call them by sweet names, I pull their legs, I play with them and they are all game with me. Once you take somebody as a friend, you should live a world of transparency and give the freedom to the friend to take you as a friend and at the same time you should also give yourself completely. Deception and jealousy should be kept at bay. Life is very short and with great grace of god we meet such souls in life with hums with the tune of our heart. So let us shred the policies created by man who is no God and live life with a zing and zeal. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Did you realize you have not given yourself completely who showed warmth to you? If yes, quickly wear your shoes and run to him or her. God sent message and God sent person is very rare. Hold on to it quickly.:cheers:cheers [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Bye dearies!!!:coffee:coffee:coffee[/FONT]

2. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

No, not at all!

I totally agree! Friendship has no, and should not have any, barriers. It just takes 2 frequencies to strike a tune at the right time. I, so much, have to explain this to many people who try to put limitations on friendship. I also feel sorry and pity for people who cannot distinguish between friendship and other relationships, especially in case of a boy and a girl.

Good post!

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

I so agree with you Malspie.
    Its nice coincidence that we have similar kind of friends in office. it was nice to read your take on this topic. You seem like free spirited , non assuming and dynamic person. I always enjoy reading your threads.

Somebody once told me a golden rule. In this short span of life to learn more, make a rule of having only 40% same age group friends, rest of your friends should span from any range of age groups. That way you will make sur eto get over all perspective in life.

DudewithAttitude,

I understand your point. I would suggest only one thing, as long as that boy and girl are clear to each other, they can give world's opinion a ride. Choice is always personal for those two people. Those who matter should not have a problem, those who will have problem, should not matter.

4. DudeWithAttitude

DudeWithAttitude New IL'ite

Thanks Ria for your suggestion. Initially I was trying to explain and educate such people, but after sometime I realized there is no point if one is born with such opinions so I leave it to them to realize. I agree that the people involved have to be clear in that first - then rest should not matter. I liked your last line..though I've heard it before, it was good to re-read it.

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

lovely article!!!!i enjoyed reading every bit&it brought back old memories!!!

6. Navpreet

Navpreet Senior IL'ite

Hi Mals,
    I also face same questions from my friends.My best friend always ask me:What were you doing with that aunty,and lots of other blah blah...but i don't care.Mine was also a friend of nearly 55years and she was a principal in school and her husband was brigadier in Army.I always join her to listen to her experiences and sharing our reading passion.She had changed my choice of reading.I get very good with children of every age,atleast they don't do chuglis of others.It's fun having friends of different age group,let others think.Enjoy yourself

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi DudewithAttitude,

Your reply was perfect. The friendship between two sexes either female or male is equally brow raising in todays world. Worst is if its between opposite gender. Initially, me too was always trying to iron things out, today I care a damn. Its my life and the friendship is more important to me than the opinions of the society, who is going to have the last laugh during my hard times, its the friend who walks in and holds our hand. Thanks for stepping in.

8. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ria2006,

Thanks for fanning me and my posts... Happy to know you read my threads with interest. You have guessed me correctly, I do not care for the world. God has sent on this earth to live a life that I choose and live it correctly. As far as I am not guilty meeting the eyes of the Lord, I need not worry about the world. My friends step in to my liar and we have real fun, laughing joking and entertaining ourselves. Frankly speaking, everyone loves his or her space, but, they do not know how to create that space and from here the gossip and jealous root shoots up. What a person cannot do or is restricted from doing, when he sees the other person doing it freely, he will try to curb that person's wings. My friends are forever except a few cases....

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

My friend who is now 60 + years old (she is my friend for the last 8 years) is so full of life, not like the typical old ladies. She sings, laughs, dances, attends parties, has got latest collection of sarees, perfume freak and she is full of humour. We both have dined together, traveled together to places and we love each others company. I do not address her as Madam or "aap" in hindi with respect, she is just "Tum" (You) and she is fine with it. People who seek respect are not worth being called as friends. I feel they are very insecured from within. Hey Navpreet, damn the world and keep going with your friend. Its one like and lets design it the way we want.

10. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vidhukumar.

Thank you very much for stepping in.. Its a pleasure to keep my friends entertained after a tired day.. What say......