1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Oldies

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Golden Oldies

Today in the park, walking with one of my neighbours the guy who is fond of shairyees,we were discussing the new house coming up on the only vacant plot in our lane.Chandu, the neighbour was telling me how expensive this guy has bought the plot now, and it will cost him a bomb to make a nice bunglow on the 500 meters of land.

He was telling me his own story of how he bought his land.Mid Seventies, JDA, auctioned these pieces of land, around 20 of them,and there were no takers.Chandu used to work in a Nationalized Bank then, and his salary then must have been like 5000/- or so, a handsome amount acc to him.He stayed in a rented house, bank paying his rent.Life was rosy, and going on merrily.

One of his friends woke him up and dragged him to the auction .500 meters plots being auctioned for 70/- per yard, that was 35000/- , his 7 months salary.He was not keen, but the friend told him i will help u with the finances, but please buy this.In those days, my Civil Lines was a middle class locality, the best being C Scheme, and the old city, and MI Road areas.Some how under the pressure of his friend, and with some bank loan he bought it, and in installments he got the house made, where he stays now.It is worth a fortune today.

This set me thinking.He has a 30 year old son, daughter married, and stays with wife son, DIL and two lovely grandchildren, and he says this heaven, with this wonderful garden just outside his home where we take a walk.

Just think this over.We consider ourselves smarter than our parents.They did not know proper english,they just managed high school ,they did not know computers , mobiles, video games, sending SMS, etc.They saved and scrounged, and did not know what bank loans are all about.They had kids by the dozens ( i mean quater , and half),educated us in simple convent schools,They did not send us to British Scottish, and other top schools.

The today generation mostly looks down on them.But look at it my way.They had 3 or 6 kids, but gave them decent education, and we are what we are bcs of them.They got us married and had decent marriages, where all relatives were invited and everyone went happy.Today we break in a sweat with the thought of having a second child, as it is so expensive to study and bring them up.And they built homes, which are today worth a fortune really.And paid up , with no loans.They saved every bit,for our future.They did not leave any debt for us but assets,like homes , jewellery, and cash.

And today they dont want our houses, we want their homes.Many want them to die, so they are spared to take care of them, and can lay their hands on their properties which are today worth a huge fortune,sometimes tens of crores if we talk of Malabar Hill of Mumbai, the Defence Colony of Delhi.

And today we buy small apartments, on loans from Banks,for which u have to slog your ass out for 20 years.So we buy today and pay later, we eat today and pay later,we go on holidays and pay later.And we call ourselves smart.

My Dad like other Dads of their generation, had 4 sons, educated them got them decently married.But i remember he was careful with his hardearned money.They bought everything with their money,and if they fell short they deffered the purchase for later.

But today we smartasses want to own things for which we dont have money.We pledge our future for the present luxuries, which become outdated well before we have paid up for them.

Yes we are smart all right, they were Dumb.

KAMAL MAHTANI​

2. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

"We pledge our present for our future"

Dear Kamalji.. The line calls attention and demands a strict salute !!!

Absolutely true and very well written. The changing civilization. Man is returning back to his Barbarian culture via his "technologically civilized" activities. How can we call ourselves cultured when the number of Old age homes are on their rise exponentially in the recent decade?? How can we call ourselves westernized when we have buried the "ethical values" of our culture deep under the sands that cover the solid earth?? How do we call ourselves "smart" (as suggested by you aptly) when we pledge our selves for the sake of mere pleasure derived out of Luxurious living??

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,

One of the best pieces I have ever read! On policy, I do not nominate for Finest Posts, or this one would have been my sure nomination. How well have you summed up the values of our generation and that of our parents. if they had not been so 'dumb', we could never have gotten so 'smart'.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Very nicely written Kamalji.
    This quote came to my mind immediately when I was reading your posts. It goes like this:

We think, our parents are stupid and so we are for our children.

sriniketan

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi kamalji,

A Very crisp and to the point one on the attitude of kids towards parents....

I remember my dad buying a ground for Rs.5000. which was then a very prime area..and now there is no defining it...and he used to use money wisely...it was never penny pinching...we used to get everything we needed and more...
    and I am happy I have inherited that from him....I do everything for my kids, but at the same time, i ensure they know the value of money,and the effort that is going behind that...

kamalji, Credit is a way of life today. Somebody commented if you do not have a single arrear is college, then what is the use of going to college and if you have never taken a loan what is the use of earning...i don't know...
    so that is the present generation for you...

..but i have a small doubt nagging...did they (the golden oldies) not lose a lot by saving/slogging for the future alone and not even enjoying a little for themselves in their present......perpectives differ....

It is a debatable topic......

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Ramya

You have aply said that we are turning Barbarians.Since we cant take care of our aged parents, some put them in old age homes.What if the parents had put us in orphanages, as they could not afford our expenses ? ? They skipped holidays, and meals in restaurants,so they could save every bit for a home,and ouredcation.They were hapopy to see us progress in life.And look what we give them in return.Thanks and regards.kamal

Vidya

I am floored by yr kind comments.Thank you.Yes they became dumb so we could progress.Even they copuld have eaten out,gone on foreign trips, but fo our sake,were frugal,and we call them dumb.And it is the good education they gave us that has made us smart.Regards.kamal

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri

You have hit the nail on the head.Yers for our kids we are stupid.Today kids dont see eye to eye withj parents on so many issues.Thanks.kamal

Shanti

They did enjoy their lives.They went to Haridwar and stayed in Dharamshalas, and must have spent a 1000 or 2000 and had a blast, instead of going to Hongkong, and blowing up a lakh in those days.Instead they bought Gold,or a small peice of land o property, which as u say is today worth a fortune and u have inherited today.

Everything is debatable.I for one is very old fashioned.I never buy anything that i dont have money for,use credit card only for convienes or emergency,never for credit.My home is fully paid up, and i have nothing to give or take from the market.

I just keep praying hat when i die, my wife is comfortable, and can live a nice cosy life.My kids find me old fashioned, maybe stupid, but ts ok, its my life after all,and i am very satisfied with it.Thanks and regards.kamal

8. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hello Kamalji
    This is Very true that most of us took our older geneation as dumb but ironically our next generation thinks same for us in most cases.We dont have any culture nowa days but only affulence ,physical comforts & luxery & very truely we r turning barbarians act like one most of the time most of the people.
    Today parents dont have time for kids but have plenty of money - result 8 th standred boys killing so called friend / foe with father's revolver just like a vedio game.
    A husband murdering wife putting in sutcase & throwing away. Husband is a CA & wife was dupty director in some Govt . Department - happening in gurgaon the placed of highest no. of newly rich people playing in millions & billions but I must say without culture & tredition of older generation .
    Regards .

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Jaishree,

Yes the examples u have cited, are very sad.Did u read today's papers that these days parents are taking out advts, to disown their own kids, bcs the kids are forcing the parents to sell the property, which is worth a fortune and give the money to them ??

Sad really what the world is coming to.Thanks and regards.kamal

10. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hello Kmalji,

Well said on today's generation.I think our parents passed on the values of life too besides assets.That is why we aaare what we are.