1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hiding information = cheating???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Nov 29, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello all,

Sometimes when I get into deep thoughts, thinking about good and bad things of life, often comes to mind that HIDING information is also cheating.
    It could be anything like hiding information from spouse/parents/friends etc.

Examples : In movies doctors hide the information from patients about their illness, is it cheating??
    Husbands hide information about going lunch with his girl friends, giving money to his parents without letting wife know..

There could be many incidents like this, hiding information from each other for a good cause or bad...

Or based on the severity of the information, do we call it as cheating???

Please do write about your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Punitha

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Puni dearie,

Hiding information is not always cheating,. it sometimes coz of avoiding conflict or at times its due to the other person not ready to accept facts. There are so many things to keep in mind before we tell people about anything. How will the other person take it? It also depends on how chick hearted is the person who is hiding. Is he or she fearing dispute, it is also a matter of concern as its not easy for every one to accept the changes in life. 905 of the people like it to be smoothly sailing, very few take life with its horn. So hiding depends on so many concepts..

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Punitha,
    Another thought provoking question.

to me hiding doesn't equal cheating always, if the listed things are in effect:

if the hiding information is not important of that sort,
    if it doesn't harm both the sides or affect the parties involved,
    if that person who is hiding is not guilty afterwards.

Just my 2 cents!

sriniketan

4. puni88

HI Mals,
    Thanks for sharing your views...
    I agree your statement "hiding depends on so many concepts"

~Punitha

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  5. puni88

Hi Sri,
    Thanks for sharing your views...
    I agree with your points.

~Punitha

6. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Hey Punitha,

Its always nice to read your view.
    I have few lines to add here.

I believe I will forgive anyone for hiding anything from me, As LONG as its for greater good of family and world.

There is saying in Geeta, That

"Agar Ek jhooth kisi kaa jeewan bacha sakta hai, To woh 100 Sach se jyada dharm ke anookool hai" (I wish there was a way to type in Hindi for this)

And I think I believe in it totally. Sometime we have to hide information for sanity of house, life and society in general.

Regards,
    RIa

7. puni88

Hi Ria,
    Thanks for sharing your view..
    So we could conclude that "As far hiding information is not harming anybody, its good".

Thanks,
    Punitha

8. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi Puni,

No.It is not always cheating.

Sometimes it is better not to tell the truth when it is not going to do any good.

Even in sastraas too they told not to tell the truth if it is going to have bitter effects.

9. nivedha

nivedha New IL'ite

Hi Puni,
    Sometimes, such questions also pops up in my mind, I always wondered if it was normal.Recently I have had few experiences, where people have withheld information(or can I say, failed to communicate their thoughts and feelings) and that hurts a lot.But hiding information does not always imply cheating.
    Why does a person, want to hide information --he or she is afraid of the consequences , like may be that person will hate me, or may be I will be ridiculed,or may be that information will shed a bad light on my character, or the thought of being embarrassed,or the fear of rejection sometimes even separation.Then there are other factors too, like selfishness and greed, these can always lead to such problems.As one friend pointed out, opening up depends on how that person would react to it.And there few egoistic people who think, that revealing everything is not necessary.
    This hiding information aspect affects married couples than other relationships, I always wondered why.My husband always says that a wife or a husband has to reveal their thoughts as they spring in the mind, without fearing anything, like a child's innocence.I know it is a tall order to ask for, but it is achievable.Just love and accept the person in front of you and most importantly forget the past , everyday life becomes a smooth ride.Catch you later.
    Love.
    Nivedha.

10. puni88

Hello Krish,
    Thanks for sharing your views and giving the evidence from sastraas.

~Punitha