1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking of Coconut!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by padmasowrirajan, Nov 26, 2007.

1. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

I have always wondered why we offer various things to God, when He needs only our pure Bhakthi and devotion to Him. But then there must be some hidden reason why we offer coconut, sandal paste, milk, honey, curd and other things. That’s how I started pondering for answers.

Of all the things, coconut plays a very vital role in our offering. Coconut, which has a hard outer cover is broken in temple as an offering for our prayers. But it has more meaning than just presenting Him with coconut.The tender coconut is covered by layers of fiber. The stripping of fiber is to emphasize the fact that we should be devoid of desires. Coconut’s hard cover resembles the head of a human being. Once the coconut is broken, we find a white or grayish kernel. There is also juice present within the coconut. The breaking of coconut is considered as breaking of our ego or Ahankara, because He expects his devotees to be egoless and pure. The kernel within represents our brain. It is filled with inner juice. This represents the internal tendencies of our brain to be jealous, egoist,selfish human being.Usually the inner juice is poured out before offering the coconut to Him, which means that we should remove our vaasanas. So, breaking of coconut stands for surrendering to Him with utmost devotion and love.

Coconut, also exemplifies its various usage. Every part of the coconut is useful. The trunk, leaves, coconut, coir etc is used in innumerable ways like making mats, oil, used as an ingredient in food preparation, coconut juice which is good for drinking and also it is used in ayurvedic medicines. It symbolizes selfless service.

Thus, it's not just a ritual of breaking a coconut, but it bestows spiritual growth to the devotee :bowdown.
    Hope we all remember this while offering a coconut than doing it just out of practice or as obligation to Lord
    Let us enjoy the processof breaking the coconut bonk !!!!

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Your explanation for breaking the coconut in front of God is very good, Padma!
    Eventhough i heard this explanation when attendig a lecture, i completely forgot the essence in those words. Thanks for reminding me!
    These things are to be reminded again and again so that it gets into our mind, permanently.

sriniketan

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear PADMA
    Thanks for sharing.... I have heard and read about this before. Its always nice to refresh ones memory esp... related to GOD because that' s something we tend to forget... You have wriiten so well thanks for posting this.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Padma.

It is amazing how meaningful our culture and practices are...

L, Kamla

5. padmasowrirajan

padmasowrirajan Senior IL'ite

Dear sriniketan, AC and kamla,
    Thanks for visiting the thread. Things are so much engraved in our day to day life that sometime, we take it for granted. Even some spirutual activities go unnoticed. So i thought i could jog ILite's memory.

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    Your post was very informative.Thanks a lot.