1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gym write-offs :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sujathaumakanth, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

"The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping up and down."
    -Rita Rudner

[JUSTIFY]- “So how much is it for the membership?”

I wait for a figure…..er, a numerical one in this case that would cause my innards to shrink notably.

- “33.50$ for a fortnight”

- “Really? Whereas it is 12.50$ for one visit??”

- “Yes”

I should have wondered what the catch was but then I rushed in, in accordance with the proverbial quote “Fools rush in…”. Even for someone with very little mental agility when it comes to calculations, I brave to do the math and figure out the membership would work out better if I were to make two visits a week to the sacred site.

- “So do you have any cancellation fees?”

- “Nope, just 14 days notice.”

Boredom is starting to set in the tones of the junior serving me…..perhaps at least here, I should have stopped and asked myself twice……but no, I was too taken in by Dame Providence and also anxious that the 17 year old might hike up the prices if I keep pushing her buttons of ennui.

- “Allright, I will take the membership, you are sure about the fees right?”

The teen just catches herself in time from doing an eye-roll and gives me a grimace which I interpret as a polite smile and am sure if DaVinci had been around, he would have made billions titling it the “Mona Lisa – II” or perhaps better “The Return of the Jaconda”.

I hurriedly fill the application form and sign my long scrawl with a flourish. The girl fills in the amount and then slowly enunciates the figure for my benefit.

- “75$ for a one-off admin deposit along with the fortnightly deduction – total amount comes around to 120$”

As I am still digesting the news of the 75$ sprung upon me, I dont fully understand the extra 11.50$ she has tacked on – perhaps fleecing me for the indubitable service she had provided.

I try to summon the right dosage of anger, but incredulity is still reigning high in my voice :

-“Should you not be telling me about these fees before I signed the registration form?”

- “Yeah I should have, I am sorry – are you still interested in the membership?”

I am starting to palpitate, even without stepping into my bodypump classes that are due to start any minute. I eye at the clock and the girl at the reception – I know I am going to regret the new few minutes of my life where I go against my common sense and my financial radar and with an imperceptible nod of my head, wilfully become the sacrificial goat at the reception of the town’s (perhaps sole) fitness club. I enter into the classes, the enthusiasm that I had a few minutes earlier all dissipated and in its place a sour aftertaste left by the monetary transaction.

An hour passes by quickly and though less enthralled by the audio tracks for the bodypump routine, I am not disappointed by the class and am hoping to frequent these sessions more in the future. With a pounding heart and quaking legs, not all as a consequence of the rigorous drill that I had subjected myself to, I drive home. No sooner had I entered the house, did I bemoan my gullible nature and render my narration with the right amount of indignant anger and histrionics to Anna, my better half (literally in all matters, especially fiscal) and the financial comptroller of the family. Contrary to my hopes, I fail to evoke any sympathy in my audience……..the end result, temperature within the house falls further by a few more degrees despite the double dose of heating provided by the reverse cycle air conditioner and the fan-heater propped next to me.

Blessed with a metabolism that even His Maker would envy and a bevy of friends willing to play badminton almost every day of the week, Anna does not understand my need to bequeath a substantial amount of money every once in a while on gym memberships. By far, Anna is the most unconventional and broad-minded Indian husband I have seen amongst my circle of friends, with a healthy respect for his equal, despite my exasperating and futile attempts at maturity. However, given my past history with fitness programs and sporadic visits to gyms, Anna is of the opinion that the only toning that these expenses have sustained are that of our bank balance:) He firmly believes that any weight loss that I might have gained is more out of guilt with all the money I throw away on these sessions rather than attending them.

A few years ago, I would have bristled at the slightest excuse despite the validity of his accusations but lately I have been seeing the error of my ways and so I rather dejectedly but solemnly give him my word that I really would see this membership through. I have always been a couch potato, never one for stringent exercises or fitness regimes, but lately I realise I am not getting any younger and hence the serious and much-needed closer look at my health. Given that my food intake has reduced quite drastically lately and I am reaching emaciated standards (according to my family), I am resorting to rather painful attempts to incite my hunger pangs. Hopefully my exertions might pay off but still that has not stopped my family from wagering against my gym visits :)

Anyone else wanna place a bet on my fitness expeditions ????

PS: It has been three days since my last gym visit as I am still crawling around like the house like an octogenarian painfully aware of every muscle in my body :)[/JUSTIFY]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha
    A nice hilarous post from you about your gym experience...hahaha
    When I came to Egypt i wanted to join the gym and so I went to the club of my area which is quite far from my place. I told my hubby dear whatever it is I must join the gym. So both he took me there and as usually went on asking one question after the other which is janam sidha adikar like...hehehe
    The guy there told you can use the gym but you need to become the member of the club. I said fine so what is your membership fee...
    he said 8000 egyptian pounds...my eyes popped out almost at the verge of falling down... I said ok fine, I could see my DH looking at me...
    then I asked him how long can I use the gym everyday and do I need to do the booking in advance and all.
    Then he said madam you can use as long as you wish per day we charge 30 pounds per hour....now I stared at him asking him you are changing 8000 pounds for the membership and gym is not free still you need to pay 30 pounds per hour what the hell is this.
    he said yes madam it is like that and for non members we charge 60 pounds per hour......from the corner of my eye I could see my DH having a good time with the conversation.
    I told the guy I need to think will come back again....never went back till today...hahaha

Where in Australia I use to just pay 15$ per hour no membership or anything like that, you come you pay and use it and go.....

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

I have wasted quite a large sum signing up for gym and then not attending, MANY TIMES:hide:. Luckily I have a partner in crime living with me, called husband :). So I never get told off. When we are really at the edge of some crisis, that is when I find myself being very sincere and end up using the facility for which I had so generously nodded my head while signing up. But now my senses are a bit more switched on. I sign up for only 6 months. I know it works out a little bit more expensive than when I sign up for 1 year. But ONE YEAR is too loooong a commitment for me to keep. When I finish the first six months well, I feel good about it and pat myself on my back and then sign up for the next six. I find that a very good way to keep going.

Aruna dear, that was a shocking incident of your gym charges in Egypt!! Membership + money for using !! :spin:spin

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

haha suja ,enjoyed your gym experience.Now thats one area where I have nothing to relate.throughout my life its been the other way round for me and i have been trying to put on weight much to the envy of my friends .in the last few years gained in ALL the wrong places but still walking is only the exercise I do. my daughter is one of those fitness freaks and has tried a few outlets.
    and you know Malaysia sounds very reasonable...most of the gyms here allow a two week trial so its fine with me when she decides after one trial that she cant go THAT FAR and the gym in our condo should be good enough .:biglaugh

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Haha, whether you lose weight or not your wallet seems to shed tons at these pricey gyms! I was luckly enough to have a gym where I paid Rs 2000 as annual fees and nothing more. The money covered the use of gym equipment with no time limits with aerobic and yoga lessons three times a week each. Normally gyms in Delhi charge on an average Rs 3000 to 5000 every month! I got it cheap because the gym is attached to a club of which I am a life member! Now, alas I have moved far away from the area where the club is located and daily visits are impossible. I have a personal gym at home now with multigym machines and weights. But I still miss the aerobic and yoga sessions. ,

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

K2S...yes dear it is just horrible...
    becoz here it is sellers market and not the buyers market.
    the seller will frankly tell you you want it you take or you can just leave and go these people don't realise they are losing a custmer here.
    it is same in the super market too.. when a product is over they do not get it immediately and refil it but will refil at they own cool time so the buyer will have to just go becoz there is no stock of that product....

7. sujathaumakanth

Tell you what Aruna, have you ever thought of opening something like Curves in Egypt :)) And charge it dirt-cheap, am sure you will become an overnight celebrity with all these women flocking to you. It is horrendous the way these gyms fleece our money, especially the exorbitant prices in Egypt is so shocking !!!

I am now trying to stick to my gym sessions, funnily enuf I seem to be enjoying it so far. I hope I still persevere when it gets tooooo cold to step out........brrrr :)

I am glad you enjoyed the post :)
    Hugs,
    Sujatha

8. sujathaumakanth

Dear Knots,

Luv to hear from you on this post here as well :)) Hit pay dirt twice with your comments, what you reckon :))

Ha, I really admire your persistence in sticking for atleast 6 mths - am sure in another couple of weeks I would slowly have selective amnesia about my gym sessions :) And once again Anna will chalk down this latest fiasco to yet another one of my spending sprees :)

Mmm, gonna ask you something, but guess will do it over the FB msg.......

See you dearie,
    Sujatha

9. sujathaumakanth

Ha ha dear Mindi, yep I would have definitely envied you once upon a time as well !!! But lately I have been deflating at the wrong places and it is no more fun when you find your once perfect jeans no longer sitting well on the bottom.......definitely not the time to change an entire wardrobe.......lol. I just need something to ensure that I gain a good appetite and start looking healthy instead of a pallid appearance. Besides I seem to love these group sessions - they motivate me better than an hr on the treadmill by myself. Wish me luck, hope I continue these sessions :))

Cheers,
    Sujatha

10. sujathaumakanth

Wow Balajee, just 2000 Rs is indeed a good deal !!! I indeed understand what you mean by missing out on the group sessions - somehow seeing other people workout with you seems to fill you with more enthu.....in my case I think when I see more people struggling in the same boat as I, I am indeed filled with quite a workout bliss.....LOL :)

It needs real dedication to exercise at home, somehow I have never succeeded at that. Remember getting some equipment ( of course contrary to Anna's advice) and later we had to literally beg Salvation Army to come and take it for free when we were clearing out the house........dont think Anna has forgiven me for that yet :))

Cheers,
    Sujatha