1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Missing someone....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sujathaumakanth, May 5, 2010.

1. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

"To part is the way of life, to meet is the hope of life....."
    -Anon

[JUSTIFY][JUSTIFY][JUSTIFY]It was one of those lazy Saturday mornings edging into mid-day almost and I was cooking. Yeah, sometimes such culinary miracles do happen under my roof. Madhu, my 7 year old girl, was constantly in and out of the kitchen asking me for the spelling of various words. Since she loves writing, I did not take her seriously and besides when I am faced with the Herculean task of cooking, everything else pales in significance. Later, she said she wanted to sing me a song.....I nodded absent-mindedly. Then she sang......her sweet voice carrying the words to me over the noisy hum of the kitchen exhaust, the words that she had penned just moments earlier.

With writing skills running in both sides of the family, her own skills at it have ceased to amaze us long ago. I have always seen her write stories with illustrations and I used to joke with Anna that we have a budding author in our family. However, today was the first day I have heard a poem from her. The simple longing in her words, the clarity which which she had expressed her feelings made it impossible for me to take her words lightly, especially the optimism in her last two lines......with a lump in my throat, I reached out to my little hurting girl and hugged her. My daughter was missing her cousins who had stayed with her the last two years. She had bonded with them very well, especially my niece who had looked after her while I was away.

7 or 70 aren't we all plagued by memories of people whom we have left behind........dont we all miss someone in our lives everyday? I have always been given the customary reply to missing someone, "ah time will make it hurt less". Does it? Does time give us the luxury of easing the pain or erasing the memories? I always felt that when we part from someone we love, we are losing a significant part of ourselves. We might meet moments or lifetime later and might be lucky enough to pick up the threads, but we will never be the same people again. The essence of that relationship would always be there, but the intensity would have gone - trying to recapture the past would be nothing but a waste. So if I am given the choice of remembering and hurting over forgetting and moving on, I know what I would choose.

But as a mother, I wanted to protect my child from the pain of separation and wanted her to feel better atleast temporarily. I too gave her the empty promises of time and fooling her tiny heart into believing that things will get better and she will be able to see her cousins soon for holidays or next summer. I also send a silent prayer hoping that when she meets them again, she will be able to recapture what she enjoyed with them or atleast wont be able to notice the subtle but definitely distorting effects of time on their relationship.[/JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY][/JUSTIFY]

Madhu's song for the day :)

If I love someone,
    If I miss someone
    If they are gone,
    What will I do?

If they are here,
    I will be with cheers
    But since they are not,
    I am with tears.

It was so much fun,
    but now it is done
    But once they come
    It will all start again.

2. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi suja,

Give my hugs to little angel madhu, it was a very brilliant way to express her feelings, her poem was so simple,clear and understanding do encourage her to write more.

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sujatha
    A 7 year old have written those words?? that is just awesome she has become a poet in the absence of missing her cousins.
    Yes we all miss someone or the other in our life. We remember them and carry on with our routines, which can't be stopped but madhu writting such sweet wordings on whom she is missing is very touching.
    We feel it so much you being her mom might be feeling the most.
    That was just beautiful one.

4. sujathaumakanth

Thanks Priya, yes I am very proud of my little gal and am trying to nurture her creative abilities :)

5. sujathaumakanth

Aruna, very excited to hear u were in australia too :) Sent u a friend request.......

6. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi Sujatha

The skill flowing from both sides of the family!!....No wonder Madhu has come up with such a beauty at this young age. You write quite well too and lovely to have you post here. A big hug to her.

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sujatha
    Believe me it does happen. When we are engaged in some mundane work, behind us someone will be creating history. Like, in your case, Madhu, who has all the makings of a child prodigy, writing a beautiful poem dripping with emotions. Give her a hug on my behalf too.

You are right there about the memories transcending age but as a man who is closer to 70, let me tell you that the perspective of recall changes with age. An intensely passionate memory at 20 that sweeps us off our feet like a tsunami will just be a mild ripple that a falling leaf would cause in a tranquil pond at 70. At 70, we too do miss people but we miss ourselves more! When I think of myself at 20, I miss him so much at my present age. There is one thing I can share with you. Time does make missing someone hurt less. We realize that all the emotions we felt for the others in our lives are as futile as the bonding between ships that pass in the night.

Your words “I also send a silent prayer hoping that when she meets them again, she will be able to recapture what she enjoyed with them or at least won’t be able to notice the subtle but definitely distorting effects of time on their relationship” certainly capture the brittleness of all relationship. It took me 67 years to understand it!

I have no doubt that a mother like you will be able to shield Madhu from the deleterious effects of Time.

Your entry into IL with your initial offerings has been an impactful one, Sujatha. It makes us want a lot more from you. Hope you’ll turn out to be one of the pillars of this Forum.
    Sri

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi sujatha

i am reading this post, after i read yours about religion.

Wow, your daughter is really a gem, and one she is going to dazzle the world.

7 year old writing such a beautiful poem. God bless her.

What you wrote about missing someone is really very very true. Even we meet them again, we cant capture that moments back, what we shared initially.

great one.

9. kainaath

kainaath Senior IL'ite

hi....
    simple words, with indepts beautiful meanings.
    kids can say the darnest of things when it is least expected...
    please do encourage her for the ability to write....:thumbsup

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sujatha,
    Madhu..my :kiss to her..how beautifully and simply she had poured her feelings.

Sure time will definitely heal the strong impact of the missing one, eventhough our memories are evergreen in that matter.

sriniketan