1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Reflections

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Reflections

A crowded elevator that dispenses the occupants as it slowly ascends… finally, a lone teenager who rides up with us to the top floor… covertly watching his slicked back hair in the mirror and adjusting the casual jacket slung across one shoulder with a satisfied grin…

Brings other images to mind… a pretty young girl who feels her nose is not ‘retroussé’ à la Mumtaz, an attractive lady searching for the tiny lines on her face, an older woman looking for gray strands among the black or an aspiring model who would like to exchange her wheatish complexion for a peaches-and-cream one… why, even tall, dark and handsome men feel the need to become fairer!

‘Wish I were taller’ (well, you can always wear heels, dear!) ‘Such thin hair, what a nightmare’ (ever heard of hair weaving or transplants???)
    ‘I have really stubby fingers’ (blame it on the genes, cherie!)

I guess all of us have been there, done that! Familiar pictures with one thing in common… one only sees the external imperfections in the God-given physical form, a malaise that breeds discontent. Beauty is perceived as youthful looks and a perfect body.

Yes, it is important to look good and feel good. Good health is undeniably the basis for a happy life. But then, isn’t real beauty so much more?

Ah! reflections…!

Real beauty is the joy that shines out of one’s eyes, a kind of radiance, as it were…
    Real beauty is apparent in a calm demeanour, a clear gaze, a feeling of being at peace with oneself…
    Real beauty comes through a perception of joie de vivre, the vivacity that brims over as one enjoys every living moment…
    Real beauty is all about passion and compassion, gentleness and tenderness…
    Real beauty transcends all barriers, real beauty is ageless…

Here my cerebrations go off at a tangent… more into a critical angle and towards TIR (Total internal reflection), though Physics was never my forte… I still marvel uncomprehendingly at the beautiful colours of a rainbow or the brilliant sparkle of a diamond…

To my mind, this TIR unravels the mystery of real beauty in all its dimensions – a fit physical body, an open mind, a kind and loving heart and an all-encompassing spirituality…

Let us recognise that the ability to feel and be beautiful lies within us. When the mind seeks and finds beauty in each and every one of Her (The Supreme Being) creations, when the heart reaches out involuntarily to all of humanity with love, when we realise that there is a beautiful soul residing in us that will live on when we cast off the outer mortal shell, when we learn to look within ourselves us and discover or re-discover the inner beauty of the Self…

When we acknowledge and accept the fact that we are indeed beautiful, then the inner glow will permeate our entire being, both within and without, an expression of real beauty without words…

Padma Srinivas

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Padma

How nicely you have described beauty. Beauty lies within. Many go for outer beauty as they dont know that All that glitters is not gold. But there are some who have inner beauty and outer beauty also.
    When any person is beautiful we cant take out our eyes without admiring them.

Enjoyed reading your post Padma. So how is your grandchild. My kisses to your grandchild

love
    viji

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Mam!

Lovely post. Recently in one of my fbs too I had mentioned this. Apparent or External Beauty is only skin deep. It will vanish or start losing fame with age.

But inner beauty is immortal. There are so many senior citizens whom on seeing them for the first time, for reasons unknown I would want to prostrate before them and seek their blessings. There is so much of tejas in them. May be it is the result of pure bhakthi, chants or whatever. There is some power that draws me towards them. (Not men like Nithyananda! ha ha ha). MS Amma was one such person. The inner beauty does reflect in manifold ways. To tell u something here - am not that good looking. But have been a favourite wherever I have worked (not only for my good work) but for the way how I approach people, how I deal with them, my nature, my status of mind etc.

So I feel traits like these - inner ones - reflect one's beauty much more than external beauty.

BTW were u the one of the few ILites in Varalotti Sir's daughter's wedding?

4. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Dear Padma, lovely post dear. :thumbsup

Inner beauty move in ascenting order while the outer beauty move in descending order as our age increases.

Lets keep fit and maintain healthy with a lovely crystal clear heart....... it will reflect our beauty. [​IMG]

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,
    A thought provoking post from the hands of aperson who has inner beauty in its true sense. You have reflected my thoughts. Though I pay attention to the facts you mentioned ( getting upset by looking at the silver hair and other things), I strongly believe that i
    nner beauty is the most important feature in our human being. All of our actions in a day draw from that inner beauty or soul, if you wish. Have you ever wondered what makes you act the way you do or who you are, inside? Are we are just a collection of cells that happened to come together by chance or is there some grand design someone we can’t see or touch that brought us all together? Inner beauty shows itself in many ways perhaps by helping an elderly neighbor with their yard work or volunteering your time to your community.What can physical things in life do for the soul? The answer is “nothing”. You need to fill the soul otherwise it starves. Is your inner soul starving? You can satisfy the hunger with acts of kindness and love, there is plenty in this world to fill the soul. Use it every day and I believe you will be full in no time.
    The good news is that it’s never too late or too soon to evolve your inner beauty. A good place to start is to create self-awareness by locating your passions and using them positively to create self-satisfaction. Then your inner beauty will grow and radiate to your outer self.He who knows others is wise; he who knows himself is enlightened."Along one . Thank you Padma, .
    How is your GD. My hugs and kisses to her.
    with love
    pad

6. Padmasrinivas

Viji, my dear friend,

What a high it gives me to see that as I expected, yours is the first fb...made my day!

As you have aptly said, there are some with both inner and outer beauty... perhaps this is the state when one is on the way to realisation of the higher self... which is why we cannot take our eyes off them...

The little one is doing fine, Viji...

Love,

Padma

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi Paddu,,

Welcome back after a loooooong time...:) you were very much missed here.

what a lovely post ! True, physical beauty fades with time, but, inner beauty grows only richer.

And unlike external beauty one can at any age cultivate inner beauty. It is also worth spending time on cultivating the inner beauty as it grows and radiates to our outer self too.

Life is certainly richer and more meaningful to a person who is beautiful inside.

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma

A beautiful essay Padma!

The title ‘Reflections’ reminded me of a scene from the famous Telugu movie ‘Sankarabharanam’ directed by Vishwanath. The heroine Manju Bhargavi will be dancing to the song ‘Omkaara Naadanu’ sung by her Guru and mentor Sankara Sastry. It is a beautiful song competently choreographed. When the song reaches the lines,
    advaita siddhiki amaratva labdhiki
    gaaname sOpaanamu....’
    the image of Manju Bhargavi is shown as a reflection in a pool of water by the Director in an eloquent but silent explanation of the ‘Advaita siddhi. All that we see around us are nothing but ‘Maaya’ and imagery says Adhvaitha. Director Vishwanath scores a big point there!

A raw uncut diamond may not be a very inspiring site but only when it is critically cut and polished, the TIR makes it sparkle and gives it its value. Great Sadhana is required to acquire the state of TIR and only then a human being acquires the sparkle called ‘Tejas’. Some great examples are Mother Mira of Aurobindo Ashram and Mother Teresa who were the most beautiful women despite a thousand wrinkles on their faces. How beautifully you have captured this phenomenon in your following words:
    Real beauty is all about passion and compassion, gentleness and tenderness…
    Real beauty transcends all barriers, real beauty is ageless…

Need we say more? This is an essay to ponder over deeply. To become reflective of the life we lead. This is a recipe for the beauty that lies deep beneath our skin.
    Sri

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,

So well said. Wonderful.

Most of us, have some or the other grouse with God, X is taller than me, Y has a pretty nose, Z has that Zero figure etc etc.

I have no grouse against anyone, even though i am fat, not so rich, i dont have a Merc, i dont write as well as most of u here, and so on.

I am happy with good health, nice wife and daughters, decent income to pull me by comfortably, and the love of all u Ilits.What more can i ask the lord ?

and there are people, who are just not happy with anything, ungrateful people really.

But each to theri own Padma, well said, loved this one.

Regards

kamal

10. Padmasrinivas

Dear Soldier,

Wonderful to have you here and to read your views...

Inner beauty will shine forth throughout one's life. Many years ago, we had an unexpected darshan of Mother Theresa and we just fell at her feet, she was so beautiful... the glow that enveloped her cannot be described...

As you say, people will remember us not for our looks but for our kind deeds, our humility and sweet words...

Thanks so much for stopping by, my dear

Loads of love,

Padma

(No dear, I did not attend Sridhar's daughter's wedding, my namesake Padmini was there!)