1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Post That Wasn't

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tubelight, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CHome%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Hi !
    Hope you are doing well….Me ? Don’t even ask. For the past 10 -12 days , I’ve been in a state of constant tension. No,no. Not agony-tension but a restless-fidgety-tension. You know, the kind that sends you drumming on the shopping cart as you wait behind five fully loaded shoppers at the supermarket checkout counter. A feeling that the clock hands are running like Usain Bolt and you are hopelessly stuck where you are.

After the loving welcome I got in the Snippets Forum, I resolved to be a regular contributor, as much for the joy of interacting with commentators as for the pleasure of writing.

My daily Virtual Reality time is between 9.45 pm and 12. All chores done ; telephones and the doorbell fallen silent. Time all to myself, my PC and <st1:place w:st="on">Indus</st1:place>, yippee !

Every day, I eagerly hurry to the Snippets Forum and after having read and fed back the new posts , strike the “New Thread” button ,. A Fresh New Blank page opens. This is the point where everything goes surreal. I just have to look at the screen and some kind of insidious osmosis process gets activated., The “Blank” seeps from the screen into my brain and I sit there, staring, staring, staring. What do I write ?

Its not as though I go and open the new window just like that. Prior Planning is always done, most assiduously too. Throughout the day, my attention would always be swirling around like a Fisherman’s net, ready to snare any incident or event that can be cooked into a Post fit for the forum. If I catch a fat, juicy Fish, I immediately marinate it and save it on a shelf at the back of the brain for use that night.. But as soon as I step into the forum, I get the uncomfortable feeling that my Fish has started stinking.

Just when I come prepared to write about dreams or charity or flowering plants, I always find a post on dreams or charity or flowering plants already there , with the FB account opened too. Some heavy duty telepathy at work here. So, out goes that stale fish, and I sit staring at the Blank Screen.
    <st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> ! A flash. Should I write something on Extra Sensory Perception ? “ The USP of ESP” !
    I start in good earnest. Tap -tap -tapping the keys. But wait, will this pass muster ? Don’t get me wrong. I generally do not agonize over what people may think of me or my writing. But here, the perspective has shifted . When our Boys in Blue do a rotten job on the Pitch, its not just those players who are booed. The Selectors also get slammed royally for poor judgement, favouritism and worse. Within a day ,Tehelka publishes “solid evidence” of how 13 cases of IMFL were surreptitiously couriered to the Selectors to buy a Nomination . Sordid ! So, I have a responsibility to save not only my skin but that of all those who gave me the Fitness Certificate for further driving. (<st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> ! I can write about my Driving Test ; title could be “Driven Insane”?)
    Mark all. Delete. Start afresh.

But, my neighbour’s late night NDTV disturbs me. ( <st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> : “ War for Peace with Uncivil Civilians” ? )

All too soon its Cinderella Hour and I I return to Realtime. To hit the bed with the resolution “Tomorrow, I must. I will” Of course, that Tomorrow is yet to come.

There is a class of humans called News Hounds who sniff out happenings worthy of print from all likely, unlikely and nonexistent sources. Since I got Indusialised, I have metamorphosed into a Blog Hound , seeing the world as a series of Blog Titles.
    The world is kind and bountiful , yielding blog material by truckloads. But, alas,
    someone is always faster than me.

There are some amazingly prolific bloggers here. They blog with a speed that rivals the industriousness of Iyengar Bakery’s ovens which keep dishing out batches of Hot-Hot Ginger Biscuits, morning and evening. And equally delicious too . ( <st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> : "Snack Games that “Donut Baker” lost to Iyengar Bakery”)
    Though intimidated by such energetic output, one never gives up or rests on past IL caps. One perseveres. One gets more observant, more imaginative . And more succeptible to other’s enquiring looks.

“ Anything wrong, dear ?” asks anxious MIL “ The podvalkai palya has become podvalkai soup . Please put off the stove”. ( “ Joys of Inventive Cooking” ! Snake-gourd jelly, anyone ?)
    FIL is all empathy. “ Are you unwell dear, you look tired ?”
    “ Oh no. I was just trying to find a theme to write about.”
    “ Why don’t you write about the effects of social inequity and illiteracy on infant mortality rates in the developing countries ?” he suggests kindly.
    I look at the ceiling fan . The Blank arrives earlier than scheduled.
    “ You and your suggestion !” snaps MIL, supplying the unsaid .“ She writes for a ladies journal. I think she should write about MSG or PMS or IUD or….”
    ( SOS ! But , nevertheless, Ping ! : “ Woe-verhelpful Inlaws ” ? )

Others in the family are equally kind and supportive.
    “ You can write best only about things you are passionate about.” Lectures the husband, joy of my life. “ Come on, think !” he coaxes, seductively, “What is it that you can always feel enveloping you, that gives you a great lift of spirit, that makes you sigh and go breathless often , that sometimes exasperates you, but that which you cannot live without ?”
    I hug him, “You are a genius, dear ! Of course, I can make a wonderful blog about underwired bras, just the thing for <st1:place w:st="on">Indus</st1:place> !”
    He extricates himself abruptly and leaves for an unusual game of cards with Mr.Govind. ( “ The therauptic value of Male Bonding”)
    My son, the other joy of my life, is more direct. “ Ma, write a story about me as Batman with Spiderman’s power.”
    “ I will Sweetheart, now go to bed, Amma has some serious work to do.” ( “ When Action Dolls sprout Angel Wings”)

They say music nourishes the brain, making it keen. So here I sit, melting in the lovely, poignant “Soruthihudu maneyaa maaligi” rendered soulfully by Raghu Dixit. Do you like Raghu Dixit ? I just llluuuuuuuuve his voice.( “ Living on Music and Fresh Air”!) For his last concert ,we had to wade through horrendous traffic all the way to Basavangudi ; it drove us mad. Hey, think traffic woes can make a good blog ?
    “Malignancy of Metropolitan growth” or “The End of Eden” ! Yesss ! Great potential !

Think think think.. Tap tap tap tap. No, wait. It sounds like the grumbles of an 80 year old Malleswaram Grouch letting off steam in the Reader’s Letters section of “ Prajavani” newspaper.
    Mark all, delete.

“….aaaa maaligiiiii” the song dies out. <st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> ! That song can make a great blog ! I start writing the translation of Sant Sishunala Shareefa’s philosophical lyrics. Now what’s the exact English word for “antaraala” ? Hmmm…taptaptaptap .

12 o’clock. I can hear the hubby snoring like a cement mixer with a bronchial condition. <st1:place w:st="on">Ping</st1:place> ! Perhaps a blog on “The Emotional Quotient of Snorers in Denial Mode” will turn out better than gloomy philosophy about Ignorance and Death and stuff.
    Mark all, delete.

12.15.! Oh my god ! Have to be up at 5.30am. Better go to bed.
    Tomorrow , though it never comes, I will write a decent blog.
    Good night.

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

U r distinctly different Lakshmi.

The post that wasn't is really great. Where on earth do u get ideas man?

Am only reminded of ur fb to Viji Aunty where u said just give the title ? ? ? and see how many hits u have.

Likewise, the post that wasn't is surely going to be a big hit. Such lovely in-laws suggesting topics. And no u should not disappoint ur son. How old is he BTW? U should write something that he can relate too and feel happy abt his presence in IL.

And Rahul Dixit, have not heard him. Can u throw more light please?

Very nice. Keep going. Tomorrow another post ? !!!!!

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Lakshmi,

I am in the same boat but I can never write like you on what to write as a full fledged blog.

Funny & very enjoyable.

You said Viji Ma doesn't needs a Title and I think you don't anything - be it Title or Matter.

Keep bluffing sorry blogging. :biglaugh

That's why I need to have studied english properly when I ought to have.

Too late & I must have irritated you more than the fishing adventure of yours for a matter to write about. :rotfl

Matter Matters to those who think Matter Matters and definitely not for me.

Enjoyed along with you the search of a concept. Interesting. :thumbsup

4. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Hey lakshmi

At last now i am content, since i was so much famished. Infact i was about ring a bell, since i thought you forgot to cook:)

Enjoyed reading it fully and yes only you can bring out such a write up from nothing!!.

Now on my first prayer to god will be, that you should catch a plump fish daily, so that we dont go hungry here.

Anxiously waiting for your blog about "Driving Insane":)

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

TL dear

A very good morning to you from here! I agree I agree I agree with everyone here. You don't need a title or subject matter. Just jot down what dialogues run through your head and the result will be as fab as!! Now that makes me wonder..are your internal dialogues also so rich and fab??? :). Actually ONLY YOU CAN write so effortlessly. I was on cruise mode from the start of the post to the end. No brakes or speed breakers.......it was flowing seamlessly! 9.45pm to 12am - no wonder I never get to catch you on A-Z thread ever. I loved it when you said-I hug him, “You are a genius, dear ! Of course, I can make a wonderful blog about underwired bras, just the thing for <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Indus</ST1:pLACE> !”
    I could not stop laughing....nearly choked on my cup of tea in hand!

So nice to know that your entire family is behind you willing to suggest topics to write on. I like to keep my topics "private" within my family circle, although hubby gets to read it always as I need his final nod of the head before posting. Keep fishing dear and never stop. Waiting for you to catch a plum one soon, but till then even the not so plum ones seems to be tasty. Loved it!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL,

HAHA.Good one.From nothing, this blog springs, and so well.

My ideas come from what i see around me.Or what i read, or what i see on the TV.Yesterday i was watching Sarfaroush, the amir khan movie, and something came up in my mind, and harsha said, why do u have the lost look in yr eyes, a blog in the making ? Yes of course i remembered something, of when we went to see this movie in Rajmandir, one of the best conema halls in India, they say Asia too.

In the interval of the movie, me and friend went to the loo, and all were full, i was standing in queue, when a fellow, who could not hold maybe, started to do it in the wash basin.I was zapped, but well let it go, but not my fat friend, a helft fellow, he came and caught the guy in the act, caught him and slapped him hard, and berated him in no uncertain terms, and he made him clean up the washbasin, and slapped him again.

I have written about this episode in one of my earlier blogs, so writing a blog is not difficult, suppose u erad someone else's blog and rememebr somethign similiar, just as i wrote the Old Lady blog after i read someone else's blog here.

And have fish, and u willbnever have a writer's block.HAHAHAHAHAHA

Regards

kamal

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear TL,

well well well ! if you can write so eloquently on a post that wasn't, it whets my appetite for a post that will be.:)

now i understand what you mean by saying that you love to write.i guess,a good writer doesnt need a title,matter,fbs,views...:):thumbsup.anyway i love to read you .

Regarding me... if one were to read all my posts it would be very easy to draw a portrait of me..i write only about anecdotes and incidents from my life as I seriously lack imagination..sad but true !

btw loved your familys helpful attitude:)

8. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Another lovely one TL. Keep it going. As I finished reading you, I was reminded of a song Tagore had written -- aami ki gaan gaabo je, bhebe na pai. (Translated far too non-poetically, "I am trying hard to find the song I should sing!") Of course, this is just the first line. He goes on to build beautiful poetry inspired by the emptiness that engulfs him. Nature plays an important role in the song. The language-less communication between the trees, an overcast sky and the restless gusts of wind. He feels them in his mind and tells us how he fails to express himself through his song.

I think I understood exactly what you have tried to communicate. I don't mean the words that you wrote. The words that remained unwritten impressed me far more. I am amazed by the literary maturity you have achieved at so young an age.

Let me assure you though that you'll hit the target. I am not referring to the target measured by the number of fb's. What I have in mind is that immensely-hard-to-define target a writer sets for herself. This is what I like about your work. I know you are after an ever illusive goal. The more it makes you fret in silence, the better.

Paradoxically enough, I do not want you to ever feel that you have made it "there". However well you end up writing, I want you to keep on missing what you thought you had set out to discover.

This dissatisfaction alone will keep pushing you further and further ahead.

Wishing you endless dissatisfaction in your quest!! :bang

Even if no one else understands me, I hope that you at least know that I couldn't have wished for you a better gift. At least, as far as your writing is concerned.

Love.

oj-da

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL,
    What a brilliant write up!!! The feelings you have brought up was clearly understood because your narration. Moreover, I also went through this period when I joined IL. Your command over language is simply wonderful and praiseworthy. The cooperation rendered by your family is remarkable. I cannot control my laughter :biglaugh!!! Even your DS's idea seems to be a good one.Title " Me turning into a super man or spider man!!!!" what a great thing it will be !!!
    What's the hardest part of writing? Or, to put it another way, what stage of the writing process gives you the most difficulty? Is it drafting? revising? editing?

For many of us, the hardest part of all is getting started. Sitting down in front of a computer screen or a blank sheet of paper, rolling up our sleeves, and--and nothing.One of the most difficult things is the first paragraph. I have spent many months on a first paragraph, and once I get it, the rest just comes out very easily.So after this
    lovely prologue expecting a masterpiece from you !!!
    with love
    pad

10. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear TL

I think Saraswathy matha is always there in your fingertip Lakshmiiiiiiiiiiii.
    So spontaneous and smoothly flowing words.:bowdown
    Have read that By reading I had the feeling of talking to you,and they say that is the the greatest quality a writer should possess, conveying their ideas with the feeling of one among readers.
    And here in IL we have u and yurself supported by such a caring family.
    Waiting for more from this extra talented writer who humbly call herself being subjectless.........