1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Why do their heads overgrow their crowns?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Feb 18, 2010.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ckarthik%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> One thing with Bollywood stars – A string of successful films and their feet (of clay) grow too big for their boots and their heads outgrow their hats (read crowns). Incidentally, these said crowns that perch ( precariously) on the heads of these ‘kings and queens’ of Bollywood are there, courtesy a set of hands that placed them there, viz the director’s, producer’s , screenplay writer’s, lyricist’s, music composer’s and most of all those of the public. Sadly, once these crowns have been ensconced on their heads, these filmy folk act as though they have personally grown them on their heads. One can almost believe that it must be all that trash of fame in their heads that nurtures such fancy and grandiose notions about themselves that they spout ridiculous statements about anything and everything.

The latest controversy involving Amir Khan is one fine example of gross pompousness. Somehow, till now I had credited this one Khan with a slightly better grade of common sense. Well, he has blown that misconception in my head to smithereens by his take on lyricists’ contribution to the success of a film. He thinks (aloud) that it is star presence that makes a hit! Come on, Mr. Khan! Doesn’t that sound tad pompous even to your own ears? How can you even believe for a moment that the stereotypical acrobatics that your ilk call acting makes a song ultimately appealing?

Maybe it does to some 3 X 10000 idiots. But for the rest of us, we break into goosebumps, when we listen to the beautiful verses penned by the likes of Anjaan, Anand Bakshi, Gulzar, Hasrat Jaipuri, Indeevar, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Sameer, Sahir Ludhianvi and of course, Javed Akhtar! Their magical words assisted by the music composer’s artistic hands enter our hearts and when they come up to tease our lips, we thrill in the sheer magic of the words and music and not the fact that an Amir Khan or some other Khan acted it out on the big screen.

Of course, thanks to the advent of visual media, the picture of a hero, a heroine or a couple on screen do lurk in the background of our minds. But when I hear a ‘Kahi Door Jab Din Dhal Jaaye’, I don’t relate to Rajesh Khanna, I relate to the beauty of the words, their meaning and the music that has eternalized those words… the magic that clogs my throat. When I croon ‘Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Tho Aisa Laga’, the words make the ethereal beauty of Manisha’s face appealing, not the other way round. And for your kind information, the song Chale Chalo from Lagaan brings tears to my eyes not because you swagger there bare chested but because the lyrics trigger a deep patriotic feeling inside me. So when a Gulzar pens ‘ Mera Kuch Samaan Tumhare Paas Padaa Hai..’ his poesy wrenches our hearts… with Asha Bhonsle’s treacle like voice…not Anuradha Patel or Naseeruddin Shah.

If the screen presence of actors like you had magic, the rehash…ooops… the remake of Mile Sur Mera Tumhara should have clicked… but clearly an overdose of Bollywood sank it deeper than the Titanic!

So Mr. Amir Khan, do climb down that high horse that you seem to be riding on and eat some humble pie. Supporting producers is one thing, but shooting your mouth off on such issues is a horse of different colour… a shade too immature on your part.

2. collegecurious

collegecurious New IL'ite

I agree with you mam.Amir Khan's acrimonious spat with Javed Akhtar evinces the former's height of conceit.Lyricist do play a pivotal role and Amir Khans conviction has no supporters.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear twinsmom,
    You are absolutely correct. In avery wonderfyl and lovely manner you have pointed out the mistake done by Aamir. I think success has gone to his head.
    Much as he is super talented and makes breathtaking cinema, it was wrong of Aamir to say such crushing comments..that too someone as senior and gifted as Javed Akhtar. of course lyrics makes more than 50%of a song…when you sing a song alone,or hear it on ipod..you are invariably touched by the words..and you forget the star. in old cinemas it was the lyrics of the song which where superhit…maybe in the current remix-rock-dhen te nan–type of songs lyrics can be said to be non existent..but those are for the jumpy and restless youth. you listen to a song according to your mood..according to the lyrics that suit your mood..so of course lyricists are an integral part of songs!!!MAA song from TZP was such a huge hit cos of its lyrics too….There was no Aamir in that song.Without good lyrics and music, a song won’t appeal to the public even if it has Aamir Khan in it.as you have mentioned the new version Sur mera tumhara
    having so many actors failed to reach the audience.
    with love
    pad

4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hello Collegecurious,

First of all, what an intriguing handle! Do tell me why 'collegecurious'? I am charmed by uniqueness of certain handles of bloggers and would love to know why a particular name was opted for. Do share!

Yes, I felt Amir Khan had overstepped limits of arrogance expected of stars in this instance!

5. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Pad,
    Thanks for sharing my views. You have hit the nail on the head! The Maa song is heart rending because and only because of the lyrics...

6. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

I was thinking of the same thing when i read the news...infact during one award ceremony when Javed Akhtar was given lifetime achievement award he emphasized that rarely the lyricist or the screenplay writer gets any credit for the success of the film and this should change... as it has been proved that unless the story line is average or the lyrics are appealing, the film/ song is hardly ever an evergreen hit... it may pick up at box office but only temporary never will live beyond its current popularity.
    I basically think Amir Khan just suffered from" swollen head " becoz of the great hit of 3 idiots...
    K

7. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi T. Mom !

JUst what I was thinking too.

Aamir used to be the better Khan, down to earth, clue in to reality and all that. But the devil called Fame has got him too !

Swollen heads and egos, like balloons , invariably burst. Especially, in a fickle and unforgiving Industry like films. Aamir will be forced to eat humble pie soon I'm sure !

( Me too. Love that song ek ladki ko dekha to aisa laga ! )

8. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hey TwinsMom,

First of all would like to let you know that its an excellent write up!:thumbsup:thumbsup

I enjoyed reading it over and over. Your way of writing is excellent and I could see a proper columnist in you!:yes:

Coming to the subject,

AAmir should go back and watch his movies during the onset of his career.All of them were normal love stories, of course some were good hits but then just because today his movies come with some maturity and rendering some message he thinks that he is a born saviour of the film industry.

He had to act for those lyrics that the lyricists have penned up to establish himself in the industry! Once people travel a distance ( which might appear to them as quite a distance) they start forgetting as how they started and what they collected and used on the way to reach this far.Shrugging off all those he had gathered all these years helping him grow to this level would take him obviously no where than where he started from.

He might still be financially well off but then away from the hearts of those who had regarded him as a responsible person of the industry.

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Twinsom,
    You said it right..extra horns on their head...maybe that is why it is called the head-weight?:biglaugh

sriniketan

10. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

i am reading your article after so long. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

We definitely relate songs to the words more than the star presence. Even i used to think that to some extent AK is firmly footed on earth, but his sacrilegious statement, has said otherwise. Hope he soon stops flying in air, for his own good.