1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Fresher finds a Foothold

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tubelight, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    Thank you for stopping by to read this. I have something to share with you today !

Right after lunch this noon, when I entered the Indusladies site , an ominous looking note appeared below my name on the top bar. It said, a word from the moderator awaited me . My heart flipped and the breath caught for a second. "Now what did I go and do that a moderator has come knocking on my inbox ?"

With nervous, cold fingers, I clicked on the link. But, due to some technical problem, the page did not load immediately. As the "Loading" sign on the left corner kept spinning in circles for a maddeningly long time, I put my short life as an IndusLadies Member in rewind mode. I was anxious to find out just what cognizable offense on my part could have brought the summons to my doorstep. Yes, I was convinced that the dreaded communique would ask me to show cause why I should not be rusticated for exhibiting behaviour forbidden by The Community.
    ' Did I use some unparliamentary word ? Was I , unknowingly, disrespectful towards some hallowed Senior ? Did my Username or Avatar hurt anybody's 'religious sentiments' ?

Its only been a month since I joined this community and I am still wandering around a bit lost ; yet to find my bearings. As a new member, I would go through the posts, comments, interactions full of abbreviations only The Insider would know ; endearments and pulling-of-legs only the closely-knit would indulge in; vernacular witticisms only the clan members would understand. And that would make me feel like a left out, lonely Fresher. True, I was getting a polite word from here and there, but generally I was The Outsider. There was that very discernable distance.
    After a couple of weeks, I was even begining to wonder if I should really be sticking around here doing nothing more worthwhile than playing word games !

Well, Friend ! When the page finally loaded, I found Moderator Laxmi notifying me that I was chosen the Blog Cheerleader for the Month ! You could have knocked me down with a feather ! After all that tension, this climax ! Me, a total newcomer, becoming a Chosen One ! And my username there on the announcement page, glowing in big pink letters ! I had not even known that there were such quaint giveaways in this Community ! And what was I being lauded for ? Just posting comments ! Boy ! That was endearing, to say the least !

All of a sudden, it was Spring !

In great excitement, I called the husband and whispered : " Guess what !"
    "What ?" he said with a measure of annoyance, disturbed, no doubt, from some world altering work.
    " I'm SO happy today....its like a dream "
    "W-h-a-t?" he said, suspicious and cautious now, as though readying himself for some nasty blow.
    " Just got the good news...."
    "WHAT !" he fairly exploded in agitation " oh no ! Which lab did you go to ? Did the gynec. confirm ? What have you done now ! We are not ready for another ......"

I saved him from apoplexy and announced loudly, with as much dignity as I could muster at the moment, " I have been chosen the Blog Cheerleader Of the month at Indusladies !"

Defeaning silence at the other end.

After an eternity, he said " Oh. Nice. Good. Congrats. So, you are a Cheerleader ! " A low whistle. "Should I call Vijay Mallya and ask for an audition date ?"

Men !

Thats it, Friend ! Before calling Mallya, I thought I'll call you through this thread and tell you how glad I am to be part of this confusing, engaging, bewildering, compelling and addictive Community !

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

TL,

I had to laugh out real loud when I read ""Should I call Vijay Mallya and ask for an audition date ?"

Gal, that is seriously funny, and I agree - agree and agree - Ah,Men!

Good luck and wish you more of these "wow" days at IL!

Cheers,
    Arch

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear TL

congratulations on the new award and for writing about it in such a flowing language. I enjoyed reading it much. I could imagine your trepidation on seeing the moderator comments which fortunately turned out to be good news.
    Looking forward to reading more from you.

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Tubelight,

Welcome to IL and the Snippets section...

That sure was an awesome way of narrating your ominous feelings on seeing an MC and the elation on reading the best possible tidings....

Men are alike, aren't they? Whatever news or event may take us ladies to dizzy heights, one can be sure that we come down to earth with a BUMP when the men unleash such (mild?) sarcasm...

I look forward to many more enjoyable posts from you, my dear!

And CONGRATS again on your achievement!

LnBBHs,
    Padma

5. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Congrats dear for winning.
    Enjoyed your writing style.
    You have a way with words & soon you will be adding more accolades to your IL cap:thumbsup

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tubelight,
    welcome to this section.In a very hilarious you have described your emotions on seeing the note. In variably this happens to each and everyone I think.
    I can say,
    Anxious moments
    Question filled
    Nervous banter
    Emotions spilled.

Desperate musings
    Hopeless thought
    Answers fleeting
    Escape is sought.
    I can visualize you jumping with joy and relieved of the anxiety after seeing the good news. congrats!!! Your DH sarcasm is very nice !!! What to do? Men are like that only:)!!! But they will feel happy inside . Nice one Expecting more from you.
    with love
    pad

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear TL
    That was surely funny and :thumbsup. You have well and truely found your foothold. It will be a surprise if you don't with your fantastic way with words, on which you have a much more stronger hold. Congratulations dear! Like everyone, looking forward to hear/read more from you. Well, this is place where people either get addicted or stay away. There is no half way mark in that if you ask me. And Men!......that said it all.

8. monifa13

monifa13 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Tubelight - Congrats! You surely are not a tubelight; You are a brilliant star. Now that you have found a foothold here you should walk ahead and post more often.

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tubelight , Congratulations.

I had a hearty laugh reading your few lines.You have a great talent in writing.

10. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tubelight,

That was a beautiful post from you. Loved your narration.

It seems it was just yesterday that I read your intro and the story behind your username in IL and today you are declared Cheerleader [​IMG]. Way to go :thumbsup.

Regarding your Husband's comments :rotfl...Now you can claim that you are no more a Tubelight...but a Glowing Bulb :-D

Congrats on being a winner this month and wishes for many more to come.

Bye