1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quest For The Missing Excalibur !!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sabitha_K, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

My search for the missing 'Excalibur' began just before the onset of the festive yule.I felt triumphant even before my search began.I knew that my quest is going to yield results.Withal, it was only my 13 cms kitchen knife which I misplaced.That was the beginning of the most ardous journey which belittles King Arthur's quest.I ransacked every cupboard & closet in my 'Culinary Camelot' called kitchen.Finally, I succumbed to the revelation that I might have lost it for good.Thus began the most challenging , elusive and legendary hunt I ever undertook.

Surprisingly ,I had no manufacturing knowledge of the knife which I have used for years.A quick trip to the market educated me on fancy names like paring knife,bread knife,utility knife, slicing knife etc.I attained 'Knighthood in Knifology' by the time I hit the road returning home.Wandering in the alleys enroute, I envied the rebellious youth in the streets of UK who carried a knife ! What mould , material, vintage it would be ?

I pounced on my most powerful looking glass, Google, to sweep through the virtual cosmos and gather more insight on the nearby stores.The jaunty trip to the market next day was blighted with unforeseen enemy.On any other occasion I would have prattled like a marketing executive extoling the beauty-care products I was using, but on that day when the lady at the till asked me 'Are you above 18 years to buy this knife ?' , I was exasperated.Fearing I would go berserk, she relented to sell me the knife ,partially sympathizing with my ordeal to venture out during the dragon-clawed blizzard gripping London.

The moment I came out of the store, it dawned on me that I am not going to accept this look-alike surrogate.

My DH was kind enough to assuage my chagrin smeared heartache by acting as Arthur's Merlin.Why would Arthur need a Sword if he had Nuclear Weapons at his disposal.

He was damn right about the territory he hardly enters !

With the market teeming in kitchen gadgets, I need a modern woman's combatant armed with state-of-the-art precision in kitchen.I bought a foodprocessor,followed by a slicer-dicer and chef's shredder delight.The reams of instructions on the manual regarding the safety and maintenance made my head spinning.My gallant knife which weathered the torrential rains in the sink and the scorching heat of the stove needed only one caveat.Mind your fingers !

The embittered battle between these rivals uanimously declared my posthumous knife as the king of the kitchen.Nothing could compete with the flexibility and simplicity it offered.How can any of this la-di-da gadgets match the chivalry of my knife.The chunky,lumpy and ragged curries on my 'Round table' during dinner highlighted the helplessness I was experiencing.

I doubted if the knife I had been using was really a kitchen equipment since I was unable to find a clone anywhere.Perhaps it was forged in a secret military base or part of clinical trails to study withdrawal symptoms when a woman loses something in kitchen.There was no trace of history on how it landed in my kitchen few years ago.It outlived every other tool I ever laid my tinkering hands on.I had given up hope completely grieving the untimely disappearance just before Christmas when I had a party planned.

It was the eve of Christmas and I was panning across my kitchen on how best to decorate it.It struck me like lightening and I knew then how it felt to establish the missing clue in a crime thriller. I reached for the dungeon of my kitchen.There it was my shining knight ,shielded by a newspaper and armoured in onion skin.I accidentally threw it in the garbage bin rolling it with the vegetable peel.It shone resplendently amidst the clutter of mail and cartons it befriended in the past few days.I picked it up with utmost reverence and cleansed it sacredly preparing for coronation.Needless to say I packed everything else I bought and put it in my attic.No more shopping trips to embellish my kitchen.Well not completely true.There was one thing I bought.

A wooden block as a scabbard for my 'Invincible Excalibur' so that I do not lose it again.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

2. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hello Sabitha,
    En Garde! I said as I started reading your post. I enjoyed it so much. I am also very particular about my kitchen arsenal too. I won't lend my knives, my peeler or my can opener to anyone... And I don't fancy high tech knives that come sheathed in atrocious price. I prefer ordinary serrated chinese thinghies.
    I have 3 or 4 for my use. I supply my mil with dozens of these as she is famous for throwing the knife away with veg peelings and other debris!

Last week I was in my son's bachelor's pad. I wanted to make a pulav and muttar paneer for him and his roommates. The poor excuses they had for knives there wouldn't even cut a block of paneer... and I broke a half broken scrawny knife! I have told him I'll gift him with a fine set of knives...

Am relieved that you found your ally, albeit in the garbage bin... May you never lose it again!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Sabi dear,

So you found your weapon in the garbage bin. wow, was my first reaction, not only for your finding it, but also for the beautiful post that the feeling has elicited.

Now, if only i can get back two of mine. they just vanished into thin air. I am left with only one, that is a 10cm one, with gnarled teeth, that can dig deep into a whole watermelon with flourish.

I am loyal to mine. i wish I get two more spares. Wow, wait, i can hear you, saying that i am talking about loyalty and getting spares in the same breath. well i would not want to tire it, from excess load, and would love to have spares in case .

Enjoyed it.:thumbsup

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madam Sabi..so they call you!

In these wee hours of this morn, I am still awake reading about your quest for calibur, ex!

Sweet ma'm, oh what a fortunate little blade it must be that thou hast placed so dear to your queenly (ahem, is it kingly/knightly?!) heart. You must possess some beauteous vision to spot it amongst letters and covered with silvery onion skin in the garbage bin, no less?!

Ma'm, all is well that ends well! Similar tales occur quite often in my cooking quarters too, albeit I lack the words that you possess to describe the mayhem such disappearances cause.

Before I slip totally into the magical world of Merlin, I shall slip into slumber which may soothen my nerves!

:rotfl:biglaugh
    L, Kamla

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabby,
    I was searching words to describe your post in all dictionaries but all my efforts ended in vain !!! what an imagination and in wonderful manner you have coined the words , with a tinge of humorous about your finding your lost knife!!
    Let me barrow the words from the verse describe your post about the venture like this:
    precious keyboard

Sabby's hand
    She determines
    To steal the ILs' hearts!!!
    We all have items from our past that have emotional ties. Some ties are so strong that people can't or won't let go.I think you too have an emotional bond with the knife and pined for it. I can visualize you when you got back that precious thing!!
    When this happend your eyeswould have poped up and your jaw dropped because you can hardly believe you’re seeing your good old knife.
    You laugh, sniffle, and shake your head before giving the person beside you a big hug and smiling up at the world. Clouds part, bugles blare, and everything fills up with the giant swelling sensation of
    AWESOME!:) Am I correct Sabby!!! want to get more experiences
    like this !!! Enjoyed to the core.
    with love
    pad

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

My dear sabi,

thou shall not loose the sacred piece "the knife". loved the way you had narrated, well our cook has a habit of throwing away all the peelers, so i hide all my nice colourful peelers and give him the cheap ones:biglaugh:biglaugh i have a nice peeler i got from japan so he saw it one day and asked me give to me i told him you shall loose it sp use the cheap ones. i love my kitchen gadgets esp my knives

love
    alpa:cheers

7. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

sabitha,

your writing is sharper than the knife - the hero of your kitchen.

i suspected before reaching the end that you will re-discover your arsenal, but in case you didn't:

wanted to suggest - go looking for it in the london museum, as you have added so much vintage value to that little piece of metal.

i have tread into the danger zone and let me get away safely as you now have your hero with you.:)

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sabitha,
    I read your post first and was mesmerised by it and went on to nomination. But again i didn't want to be branded as a person who nominates their favorite styles. But again it will be unfair if a good post goes into oblivion.

One of the easiest way to loose excalibur is in the bins. I have lost many all sheathed in paper and remnants of veg peelings.

Mmmm ! so you are underaged to hold knife, that is the best compliment you can have. I would be jumping in joy and waltzing in frenzy.

Now that you have pleased me , I shall knight you as "Sir Sabitha" and hence you will be hailed as SS. (not secret service)
    Jaya

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear sabi,

Not only are you Arthur with your excalibur but also merlin ..a wizard with words :thumbsup:thumbsup

i guess this happens to all of us atleast once..i broke mine recently and never want to be so dependant on one knife so bought myself a whole set of knives and yes the scabbard too..at least it makes my kitchen look good and me look like a professional chef:)

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

I wish u would post more , this one was delightful humourous and lovely.

Your hunt for a knife, reminded me of how a murderer would hunt for one, toplanhis killing.HAHA

superb, need i say more.

Regards

kamal