1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Resolute on Resolutions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

The one new year resolution I make every year is that I'll make no new year resolutions. This is one resolution I have never been able to keep up.

Theone reason I don't want to make a new year resolution is that I know it is not easy to live up to them. People invariably set ;their targets a bit too high for them to reach. The second reason is that people make their resolutions after downing a few pegs at new year eve bashes. And the resolution invariably is that "I'll drink a little less next year". At next new year eve bash they forget how much they drank the previous year.

My wife tells me that I should drink a little less at New Year Eve bashes because after that I make the most absurd new year resolution. Last year, she claimed that I swore that I would stop snoring because it disturbed her sleep. That resolution Iif I had made it, because I was in no condition to be aware of it) was of course put in the backburner.

But I have made a resolution on December 31 2009, which I intend to keep. and I mean it.

Well, what is that resolution? Patience gentle reader, I am not going to tell you before boring you to death with a blog of few hundred words.

It all started when I decided I would ring in the new year at my club. My wife raised a few minor objections like she was averse to driving me all the way to the club (I hate driving and have dedicated an entire thread to my phobia of getting behind the wheels). We finally decided to book a room for a day in the club so that she doesn't have to drive me back late at night for about 15 kilometers.

I hadb't partied at the club for two years after I moved from my own flat to my wife's government quarters.. And I when I landed there I felt like Rip van Winkle entering his village after taking a short nap for about two decades.

And boy, have things changed. The crowd at the party were just not my kind of people. The people with whom I could chat for hours because we shared mutual interests were nowhere in sight. They must have opted for other party venues or simply stayed at home giving new year bashes a go by.

My only companion was my drink as marathon tambola aka housie sessions wernt on interminably. I have learnt the intricacies of chess, and other games where you have to use your top storey but the nuances of this number game have always escaped me. Big fat punju housewives happily kept marking some numbers on sheets ofpaper and I couldn't make sense out of it.

My wife and daughter kept grumbling.waiting for the dinner to be served. This was done at 10 PM. My daughter immediately left to party with her friends at our old apartment complex.. My wife and I just sat there grinning and bearing it.

What followed next was a feast of deafening decibels as a DJ started playing music for people to shake a leg. The music alas, was pure Bhagvati Jagran chic with lot of Punjabi numbers thrown in. It was like attending a big, obscenely obese Punjabi wedding.

My wife and I decided to retire for the night an hour before the demise of 2009. Retire? The bloody noise went on until midnight. The DJ was obviously someone whose eardrums had been blasted off playing this kind of music and he no longer cared what stuff he played since he couldn't hear it.

Just as we were about to doze off we were jolted out of our half sleep by loud fireworks obviously the fireworks display the club had promised for the occasion. We spent the night all awake and early in the morning checked out of the club. As we stepped out we saw the road littered with crackers.Obviously the "fireworks display" was no sophisticated pyrotechnic show but just blasting off leftover Diwali crackers. That must have been a spectacle on shoestring budget.

My New Year resolution is this. On December 31 2010, I plan to stay at home having a quiet drink, listening to music or watching TV. No club bashes where my eardrums get bashed up please! .

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I have been there,my friend:) i have this thing about new years eve(absolutely crazy,i know)..i HAVE to be out, till midnight at least:)
    so we have tried out different entertainments each year..resorts,clubs,or apartment bashes but now I seem to have changed(or aged according to my daughter:))

now we just meet up with a few close friends ..I still enjoy that because we had a good time together ....I think the next step would be a quiet evening at home..:)

Wish you and family a very happy new year,balajee

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Yes drink less on a new year's eve, so we remember what we promised what not to do, haha.You are a scream, dear friend, well said.

and i can understand the club scene, the fireworks, people associate nmoise for fun, to which u and i both disagree.

What u have promised yurself for the next year, i have een doing it since the last few years, either sit at home with wifey, or with borhter , bhabhi and a few close friends, and talk and yak away.Eveyrone ios in good spirtis, and we exchange so many things together it is really fun.

I made a few new year resolutions , but fortunately broke them on the first itself.HAHA.

I am nominating this one for the finest post,Superb.

REgards

kamal

4. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

balajee - well narrated.

resolutions are meant to be broken.

it's the new year EVE right? not new year ADAM.

so EVE's have to abide by the resolution & not we ADAM's.

a few habbits of us which our family doesn't like, we in the name of a resolution get rid for a few hours, days, weeks, months or years.

if the will power lasts for a year then you are close to sure that you have kept your resolution.

probably we might to have a taste of that in the following new year eve, as a celebration to the quitting of the habbit and alas the habbit catches hold of you.

then a few more attempts by way of resolutions. it's endless isn't it?

i remember once somebody told me very seriously - do you know that one cigarette can kill you.....

i jokingly replied to her....actually i am in search of that one cigarette all these years, but i haven't found yet......

i am sure she would have taken a resolution that moment not to advise these idiots anymore.

balajee - that resolution about snoring was great and your wife believed it at that point in time.

we are unable control what we see, do, hear when we are awake & you were simply great - resolution on not snoring.:biglaugh

now i can understand how many drinks you would have had.

let's accept that we are all ADAM's and that too ADAMANT ADAM's.

resolutions are for the EVE's on the new year EVE.

5. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Balajee,
    Your post reminds me of my experiences in new year eve's party. Well now i stay home, and go of to sleep early.
    No more late nights, no more driving in the wee hours( i too use to be my DH's driver) no more loud music, just pray to God and sleep.
    No more resolutions
    Enjoyed your humorous narration
    Jaya

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

You are as hilarious as always!

I learnt a long long time ago not to make any resolutions. Not because I broke any, because I know me and me does not like to stick to any rules and hence don't make any! The moment I decide to go on a diet or fast, you can bet your bottom dollar that I am so hungry that I could even eat the plate!!

And Balajee, you should also be realistic. Why go to a club after a couple of years' break and that too without tagging along some friends??! How can you blame the Dj and the lovely gregarious (albeit fat) Punju women for having a blast? That's what they were supposed to do on a New Year's Eve friend! I am a lover of fireworks and okay, I agree that Diwali crackers are not exactly fireworks...ha ha ha! Somewhat pity you for the mess you had to face!

Next time around, have the party at home and watch the fireworks on TV-- click of a button-- they are gone. But, now that we know how resolute you are (or not!), next year may be a venture into one of those five star hotels with a show and dance for a new year bash????

Anyways, wish you a Happy New Year!

Congrats for entering our FP forum with a bang this new year, thanks to Kamalji!

L, Kamla

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

mindi, a avery happy new year to you and your family too! New year is best celebrated by living up to the motto home sweet home.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

kAMALJI, NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS ARE LIKE COCONUTS. tHEY ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN.BEFORE THEY BECOME STALE.bUT BELIEVE ME, IT IS HOME SWEET HOME FOR ME FROM DECEMBER 31, 2010 ONWARDS.

9. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Hello Balajee!

This was a great read. Excellent. I loved comparing the opening paragraph with the closing one. And I asked myself: Will Balajee be able to stick to his resolution this time either? But then I noticed that he has already broken his promise!

If indeed, whether in an inebriated state or no, you had resolved not to resolve, then why on earth did you end up resolving

??

Or, may be, you resolved not to resolve except to resolve!!

Ha, ha ... Great piece. Enjoyed every bit of it. Must join Kamalji to nominate it.

Thanks for the treat.

oj

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hey that is a crazy idea but workable. Resolutions are only for eves and not for Adams. But it is still fun making resolutions and breaking them like eggs. Haha.