1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The ‘Foot-in-Mouth’ Syndrome…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

The ‘Foot-in-Mouth’ Syndrome…

The first session of the Meditation camp was about to begin. All of us were waiting patiently for Swamiji's arrival.
    He walked in with a face that radiated peace and looked at our expectant faces with a smile that warmed our hearts…
    A brief introduction after which he asked us to close our eyes, bring an image in our minds’ eye or chant inwardly and remain in silence.

‘Hmm! Ramanamam, Jai Sri Krishna, Mata Kamakshi Charanam… chant panniyaachaa?’ Swamiji’s laughter was infectious.

A middle-aged lady in the group looked a bit unsure of herself and after a bit of coaxing, burst out ‘Don’t say it’!

This took us all by surprise, Swamiji looked at her enquiringly.
    ‘This is my daily mantra, Swamiji’…
    ‘Amma, tell me why this is so’

Turned out that Amma had this habit of giving her opinion or suggestion at every turn.
    'Wear a sweater, it is windy' was met with scowls from her DS.
    ‘Don’t take the main road, you will not reach in time and you’re already late’

‘Make the coffee decoction in the night itself, Appa wants his coffee as soon as he gets up’.
    ‘Amma, we’ll handle it, just enjoy your trip, don’t let these thoughts spoil your temple visits’
    And more in the same vein.

So Amma made a resolution last year to ‘zip her lips’ every time she had this impulse to say something. ‘Don’t say it’ chants her mind. And she has stuck to it successfully too!!

‘I call this the ‘Foot-in-mouth’ syndrome’, Swamij said amidst laughter.
    ‘Amma, this is a simple way to be un-attached. Just substitute your ‘mantra’ with a bija mantra, be in the present and enjoy the moment to the fullest’…

Needless to say, many of us in the group have adopted this as a New Year Resolution. And this is one resolution we hope will never be broken!

Do share your resolutions too, dear readers…

Padma Srinivas

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma

First of all Wish you and your family a very Happy New Year.
    This New Year greeting brings you good wishes by the score, for happiness, good luck, good health and allthat you coudl ever wish for.
    Glad that I could give u the first fb in the New year

A very good resolution. I think I will also follow that. Usually mothers like to advice their children because they want them to know everything since they have also gone through those days. But some children dont understand and think simply they are going on something for every act of theirs. I have heard my relations say that their chidren will say everyday you say the same thing why not u tape record and keep it. When they grow up they will realise that what mothers said were correct.

love
    viji

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paddu,

:biglaugh:biglaugh Paavam Amma..i know exactly THAT type of person…:)

My resolution is NOT to take myself seriously..Anyway no one else does, so why bother?:)

I am going to JUST let go and be a little eccentric ....Not to be the organized freak that I am …I strongly feel that one has to be a LITTLE crazy to enjoy life..:)))..

Good topic to start the New Year with, paddu dear:thumbsup

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padmaa,

Well said.Yes we must zip our lips, for i at least talk a lot and have a opinion on everything, like the Amma.:biglaugh

i like to be in the present, whjich i think is the present from the lord. but i do peep into the futre, for i have to plan a few things, but dont get unneccessarily worked up about it.

Good one.Regards

kamal

5. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Excellent piece! Humour filled wisdom. Reminds me of a little American girl from many years ago. (She is 40 now, incidentally.) She was picking up polite phrases to be used in the presence of company. Well it so happened that the poor thing produced a rather audible noise through her bottom when guests were visiting. She went on smiling and playing while her mom glowered at her and said, "What are you supposed to say Maggie, when you do something like this?" The child smiled cutely and said, "Oh yes mom. I am supposed to say 'You are welcome' ."

oj

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear padma aunty...

Wishing you and your family a very very happy new yr...

Enjoyed reading it... i could recollect mom words and now i'm doing the same to my daughter i sometimes feel i should not restrict too much coz she is still a toddler and let her enjoy... may be that's my new yr resolution not too much restriction towards my little one... and one mroe resolution is i should do my meditation regularly... hope fully i should keep up this... let me see...

viji aunty what you said is true...after becoming mom i realized so much what mom said... even though i never ingnored mom words but sometimes pulled her telling mom you dont have any other work ...

7. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear dear Viji!

You have kept up your reputation to be the first FB-er!

All mothers and aunts etc are the same... the voice of experience speaks! But I have learnt that we must allow the younger generation to learn from their own experience (or mistakes?!)

I know, I too am like this 'Amma' many a time! Whenever I realise my folly, I quickly shut my mouth and hold back the 'advice'... fortunately, the impulse to butt in happens less frequently these days...

Thanks so much for the sweet fb,

Viji dear, Here's wishing you and your family, specially the 2 little cutie-pies, A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010!

Loads of love,
    Padma

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    Just minutes before you posted this beautiful thread, I was just contemplating to change my signature to read 'If you are prone to putting your foot in the mouth, you must keep your mouth shut'! I have seen a few people instructing themselves in a loud voice saying things like 'Don't open your mouth', 'Mum is the word Raghava!', 'Patience, Patience, Albert' etc.

Most of Shakespeare's soliloquies must be viewed in this background. It is better to discuss a lot of things with yourself than others! That's the essence of a soliloquy. Putting one's foot in the mouth need not always mean something negative. When Lord Krishna did that act floating on a peepal (Banyan) leaf sucking His toes, it was to save the Universe from the Pralaya waters dissolving the cosmic existence before its regeneration. The spectacle of Bala Mukunda floating on the peepal leaf in the swirling Pralaya waters with a serene smile on His Face is perhaps the sweetest depiction of the Lord in His most benign mood.

May He continue to bestow His choicest blessings on us through the New Year and ever after!
    Sri

9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,
    In your usual manner, you have drawn abeautiful picture, from a single line . That makes me green with envy!!:)Based on the result collected from so many sources I came to know the meaning of this idiom as "
    say something that causes pain or embarrassment"
    Based on this I want to share my experience ,
    Once I was watching a dance show in my son's school. The main dancer was missing the steps and music! I could not bear this sight so outburst ed and shared my views with my another lady sitting beside me( hoping to get good compliment from her appreciating my knowledge)She turned to me and in a cold voice replied, " Will you please stop your criticism? She is my daughter". Imagine my position .I just wanted to vanish in thin air. Thank you buddy for giving me an opportunity to share mine. so many are there where I should have put my foot in mouth.
    Coming to newyear resolution: I made resolution of writing every week a post in IL !!!! Ha ha ha , I am sure all of you will protest or going to put your foot........:)
    with love
    pad

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Padma ma'am,
    Happy New Year to you and your family!

I make many resolutions, only some come close to fulfillment..:thumbsup
    One such this year is keep 'mum'..I don't know how this is going to be possible, but would definitely try.
    Read lot, kick out the laziness in me...step by step..:biglaughtoo many to write it here.

sriniketan