1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Captain, Iceberg ahead" - The story of the unsunken.....!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmini, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies,

I am back... (like Ajith saying in "Billa")

I would like to share with you all a hilarious adventure my son had, when he was a bachelor. At present, he is working in middle east and is residing happily with his family. This incident which happened 9 yrs ago, was too hilarious when he narrated to me. Me, my DH and my DIL were rolling in laughter when he shared the adventure with us.

My son was staying with 2 room mates and all of their hearts can be won through the stomach...and of course, they all had a sweet tongue. One day on account of deepavali eve, they decided to taste some quality jamuns. They had a Gujarati sweet shop nearby and my son was eager to buy the jamuns. Suddenly, one of them came up with the wildest idea. "Why don't we make the jamuns instead of buying them?". As they cook and eat at home, they decided to try their hands on making jamuns.

The goal was set and the tasks were allocated. My son was to buy all the necessary ingredients for making jamun. One of them was to do the cooking, lets say chef and the other was in-charge of making the sugar water. We call it Kambi jeera in Tamil, where kambi means steel wire. The reason its referred that way because, when the jeera is poured, its goes in a straight line without breakage to show its thickness.

<<<< Mission Impossible Theme Music!!! >>>>:thumbsup

So my son ran and got 1 packet of Jamun, sugar...and other necessary items. One started mixing the paste for rolling jamuns, and the other was sincerely targeting to complete the liquid for the jamuns, with the continous reciting of the words, "Kambi jeera !! Kambi jeera !!!". My son was assisting in making the paste for Jamuns. As they were busy adding water and jamun powder slowly, there was a slip, and water was found to be in excess. After careful negotiations, a spine chilling decision was made......Add little rice flour. Friends, don't ask me why, even I was zapped :confused2:when I heard that they added rice flour.

Soon the paste was ready, and the balls were set to roll, I mean the jamun balls. Meanwhile, the kitchen reverberated with the chanting of "Kambi jeera, Kambi jeera", followed by continuous adding of sugar and water. This was done by the assistant chef who wanted to complete the sugar water on time. The jamuns were rolled, each resembling a mini short-put and ready to be fried in oil.

"Swissssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh"...and voila, here comes a sweet bonda but not as small as a jamun. But still the cooks had to wait and see. The paste was enough just to make around 8 jamuns and the kambi jeera was ready too. The mammoth jamuns were soaked in the sugar water and all of them left to wait for the osmosis to set in and make the jamuns "edible".

After a few hours and some jolly ride, all of them stepped into the kitchen to see the outcome. When they opened, it was......

"CAPTAIN, ICEBERG AHEAD !!!!!" :eek

The kambi jeera aka sugar water had solidified into white mountains !! All the jamuns had become like children of St.Thomas mount. Big big boulders. The vessel couldn't accommodate the big, puffed up boulders and the lid had come out.

Like the captain of Titanic, the "jamuns" was allowed to sink the trash. They were wrapped in a trash bag and thrown out with caution, with a scare that the municipality will lodge a case :D.

Without 2nd thought, all of them rushed to their favorite sweet shop and bought 1 kilo of jamun...just to see & taste a real jamun !!!!

THE END

With love
    Pad...
    PS: Like mom, like son.... :)

2 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padmini
    Wow i was the 1st one to read
    hahaha just cannot stop laughing what an experience with the Jamuns and your way of narrating it was hilarous mission impossible music in between:biglaugh
    And comparing those jamuns with captain icebergs head........hehehehehe
    At last the poor guys had to be sunk in the bins.....hahaha

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Pads,
    Neenga oru film directora pogendathu !
    Enna direction, enna music , enna dialogue ..... appa appa......
    Icebergle oru item number pottu kalakidulam

Hilarious ! Happy tosee IL actress back in action.
    Jaya

4. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Dear Padmini mam,
    I was a silent viewer of your posts. But couldn't be silent after reading this post...:biglaugh:biglaugh:rotfl:biglaugh i couldn't stop laughing reading this incident. You have narrated it so well. Made me laugh like anything... Thanks for sharing...

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Arunarc,
    my dear buddy, thank you for your first fb.I was hesitating alot to post this but with much hope I posted this. I ma now so much delighted to see that I can still entertain friends with my writeups. Thank you dear for your appreciating and encouraging words
    with love
    pad

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear jeya,
    I feel so happy that you have read the post with so much involvement which made you to appreciate even the minute things. getting appreciation from the "Wodehouse" made my day. So with the acting I can take " direction also ( challenge to Mani who has not yet recognised my talent). Thank you dear for your appreciating and motivating fb.
    with love
    pad

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear sharanya,
    your words speak volumes of your feelings.h appy to know that you have been reading my posts.your appreciation made me to fly in the air. Thank you dear for your lovely, encouraging
    fb.
    with love
    pad

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pads,

HAHAHAHAHAHA.You mean they got rocks instead of Jamuns eh .Hilarious pads, really hilarious.So did he learn after all to make or not ?:biglaugh

Regards

kamal

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pad mami akka actress cum director...

Nethikku dhan padichen Mani is missing nu...ennachu dhidrnu partha...you are back in action adhuvum direction kuda....ab ab ba ... Mani pavum odi poitaru...

Titanic padam kuda thodhu pongo..Ice berg..good they dindt bang their head on the iceberg...ha ha ha. Superr comedy...mami...

Btw: How is your Pethi Shradha...lovely name (you won't believe I wanted to name my DD the same)

10. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Padmini,
    Padmini back into action. :)Oh great to see you again with such a hilarious post. What a comparison?? Only you can write like this.:thumbsup Enjoyed reading their experiment.Jamun sapta thripthi irundhuthu pongo!!
    Atlast, Did Karthik learn to prepare Jamun????
    Mani mattuma oduvar. Listla innu narayaper irukka:hide:
    Love,
    Meena