1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My First...........

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knot2share, Nov 23, 2009.

1. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="time"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-AU;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> It was my first trip out of <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, my first trip on a plane and most importantly travelling on my own. Yes, I was flying to <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city> to join my husband. My hubby had called me a couple of days before the journey and had asked me to note down everything that I needed to do, from the time I entered Madras International Airport to when I landed in Melbourne Airport, including what and where to find things at Singapore Airport while on transit. I had lots of things to pack and was not sure what to take and what not to take. So then I had to sit down and work a list on what were the most essential and what could we do without for a while. The baggage allowance for a person travelling/migrating the first time to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region> is 40kgs. We had more than that and I had to book some of them separately as unaccompanied baggage.

My parents, sister and in-laws had come to see me off at the airport. After check-in, immigration and security clearance, I managed to spot my parents through a glass door and gave them thumbs up, indicating all had gone well and I was waiting then to board the flight. Even from that distance I could see my mum’s eye swell with tears. I think that is the most painful moment in anybody’s life. One of the lady cleaners spotted me crying inside the ladies restroom and she came near me to console. I finally boarded the flight and I had knots in my stomach and a lump in my throat when the flight was building up speed to take off. I closed my eyes and was holding the seat tight fearing that I might fall off or something and possibly did not even breathe for a few seconds. The man sitting next to me knew the score and later asked me if I was travelling the first time. I looked at him and smiled and said nothing more.

Rest of the journey was fine. I had a long transit time at <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> and that is when my dad’s cousin had come to pick me up from the airport. I slept for a while at their place, freshened up and my dad’s cousin took me around some places in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>, although I do not remember much now. So, <st1:country-region><st1:place>Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region> was my first overseas city that I had a glance at. Surely impressive! All that I remember now is the cleanliness and how organised everything was.

Singapore-Melbourne flight trip was great too. It went off without much of an issue. It was the first time that I was using a toilet facility in a flight. I was amazed to see how they manage to fit in so many things inside that small compartment. The highlight of Singapore-Melbourne travel possibly was that I travelled in my jeans! Never had I imagined myself to be a person wearing jeans. I have to thank my in-laws for introducing jeans into my wardrobe. My first pair of jeans was a gift from them when I was in <st1:city><st1:place>Madras</st1:place></st1:city> staying with them. Once I managed to parade a bit more comfortably in them, I got a couple more stitched. I was excited to shop for some nice tops to go with them. Of course, I had to buy very loose fitting and long tops/t-shirts so that they would cover my back side. Short tops were a big NO for me because it made me feel exposed! Now, jeans are possibly the most comfortable thing I can ever think of!

Finally landed in Melbourne and I was soooo relieved to see my hubby. We then quickly called my parents and in-laws to advise that I had reached <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city>. Riding in the car, sitting beside my hubby, our first stop before we reached home was at McDonalds. Yes, that was my first meal in <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city> – a medium sized meal of chicken burger, fries and coke! Then we headed home, got changed and my hubby decided to take me to his friend’s place, where all of them were waiting to see me. So there I met my friends for the first time. I have always been a quiet person and a slow warmer, but I still enjoyed meeting them all and chatted away into the night. The following day was the start to a fresh week. Thankfully hubby’s work then was very close to home. Again he left me with a set of instructions on how to work things in and around the house, before he left for work. Everything was new and I was not sure what button or switch would do what.

Later during the day, our house owner came to visit and say “HELLO” to me. Till then I had not really spoken to anybody other than Indians. When this lady visited, I was not sure if she could follow my accent. But soon found that she herself had a strong accent and so we managed to exchange a few sweet words, and then she left. So, one task was over without much of confusion. Next task was when the people from the stores came to deliver the washing machine and fridge. I was terrified just seeing them because once again I was not sure if they would understand what I was saying and vice versa. But they were very sweet and helped me remove all the packaging and install the fridge and washing machine and left with a “HAVE A NICE DAY!” I replied with a “THANK YOU” and spent the rest of the day trying to set up the house into a home. It was exhausting.

It possibly took us a week to settle down properly, before I started trying out my hand in cooking. Hubby was thrilled at the thought of coming home to have hot lunch. I was never good at cooking. It was time for me to put into use what my mum had taught me. I had started cooking at <st1:time hour="7" minute="0">7am</st1:time> for preparing the lunch. Cabbage subzi, rice and sambar was the menu for that day. It was nothing new to me as I used to make this at home back in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. But this was the first time I was making it without mum supervising and wanted it to be at least decent enough for hubby to eat when he came home for lunch. I nearly made it on time. Managed to have a quick shower and was waiting for him to come. Lunch was over in a flash and he had to go back to office. Before leaving, he looked at me and said, “It was good. Try not to burn them next time!”

I remember my first trip on the public trains in <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city>. The closest station was about 15 minutes walk from home. My friend and I decided to go out one day. It was exciting. The train looked like a long aluminium biscuit tin from back home in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>, with wheels, windows and doors. That is exactly what went through my mind when I first saw them. The doors are automatic and close before the train starts moving. It was very secure and nothing to be afraid of. The only point that my friend and I missed noticing was how to get off the train.

Our station was approaching and we went and stood near the door. The train stopped at the station and we heard a beep noise and waited for the doors to open. There were just the two of us trying to get off from that compartment. Another beep noise and the train started moving!! We both did not know what to do. So waited till the next station and again the same thing happened and we missed getting off there too. Then a passenger possibly sensed something was wrong and told us that when the door beeped the first time, we had to actually pull the door open. But the closing was automatic. We both went red due to embarrassment and thanked for the help. We got off at the next station and both of us could not stop laughing at what happened.

Many more such “my first” episodes unfolded from then on, like my first valentine’s day, my first movie, my first theatre show (Phantom of the Opera – that was awesome!), my first time at Formula 1 racecourse, my first visit to the Australian Open Tennis tournament, my first sunburnt experience (where I ended up looking like a roast chicken the following day!), my first job, my first salary….and the list goes on. With each incident I started becoming more and more comfortable with the place and people and self. Except for the extreme cold weather and extreme heat, <st1:city><st1:place>Melbourne</st1:place></st1:city> is a lovely place to be.

2. Aabhi

Aabhi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

It was indeeed interesting to read you 'FIRST's', I infact travelled with you from Chennai Int'l Airport to Melbourne through singapore. Thank you for taking us on this beautiful, thriller ride. I can completely feel your feelings. Marriage does put our life completely upside down, all first first & new new happenings around. It 's a wonderful experience, I would say.

I enjoyed the funny comment that your hubby gave about the lunch 'It's good, but try not to burn them next time :biglaugh'.........how sweet. May God bless you guys :).

Once again, thanks for giving us a free ride to Melbourne, Mc Donalds, Australian train, movie, opra..........

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear K2S,

It is always a pleasure to read what you write..whether its a blog or a snippet. This too was quite refreshing. I thought of having a glance and come back to read it but got hooked on...

Your trainexperience made me laugh too and go red with you...so how is the cooking nowadays..hope things are not getting burnt...he he he.

Wonderful narration dear..

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayshree

First time I read your blog and it is superb. Since I was busy with my grandkids., I did not get time to read your blogs. You have narrated the first trip so nicely. Your hubby seems to be very understanding. I enjoyed your hubby's comment about your cooking. Now you must have become expert in cooking. Good to remember the first experience in everything. When I had my first flight experience to Caclutta I was so thrilled. Inever in my life thought that I will be able to go by flight and luckily I got to go by flight to Dubai also.

Ok let me not bore you more

Enjoyed reading your blog so well written

love
    viji

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sree a lovely write up.enjoyed reading about your firsts. At frist when you had begun with" My hubby had called me a couple of days before the journey and had asked me to note down everything that I needed to do,..." I thought you went into some sort of problems ;) The train journey is :rotfl But if it was me in your shoes ,the same would have happened:drowning.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

K2S,

Nice Blog. Very Picturesquely written one! :thumbsup

Your DH seems to be very caring! God Bless U both!

I am sure - If I were to travel alone - I would have definitely found myself lost or lose my main items in the packing! :biggrin2

Thanks to my DH who ensures that the check list is done and complete! :)

7. Sheebavinod

Sheebavinod Gold IL'ite

Shree,

lovely dear, wow all your firsts are worth remebering for a life time, loved the incident in the train:rotfl, can imagine the look on your face :hide:
    I guess , every person has lots of their firsts that are the best that has happened to them and some will be the most embarrasing as well.
    Your case had both, I guess thats what make such memories worth alle.

Keep up the good job darling.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Knot,

What i liked the most about this post, is that u are frank to express yr tears, fears while travelling, and it made for some very interesting reading, the train looking like a biscuit tin eh , u cant get down from the train.HAHA.Superb way u write, i just loved it.

i have nominated it just now before i wrote this FB, it was the last thati am permitted.

Regards

kamal

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear
    Its beautifull to see and read and the first experiences. All fears, timidness and other hesitations are so real.

I suppose now you can think and recollect with fond memories. I suppose most ladies would have had such experience.
    Thanks for sharing
    Jaya

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

K2S
    That was a great experience on your 1st travel to Melbourne.
    It was really sweet of your DH to eat and then tell not to burn next time......hehehe
    Melbourne is the only place I couldn't visit during my stay in australia.
    And you know what happened when I got transfered from Aust. to Egypt my flight was via Melbourne and as we were waiting to board our next flight my DH sweetly putting his hands around me was telling me see even if you couldn't visit melbourne God landed you in the airport.............haha
    Myself and my DS had a nice hearty laugh and people around were wondering what was wrong with us.