1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The best birthday I have had…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

The best birthday I have had…

Last week I celebrated my birthday. Probably, as is apt for my age I should have just shrugged it off non chalantly ,treating it as any other day in my life but oh no, Not me. Because, when it comes to birthdays I am not at all like a mature and serious lady in her forties but a small excited girl thinking of her "HAPPY birthday" .The only thing that has changed is that I do not mind not receiving any presents any more or about close friends forgetting to wish me but am happy with just the day being enjoyably different.

The day began with my dd calling up at midnight to wish me. This is a habit (annoying or endearing, I have not been able to decide) that she has picked up from her hostel life, to wake up the sleeping and gushingly inform them that all is pink and rosy in the outside world that they are presently dead to. She wished me and heartily laughed that her father had already started snoring and that she was the first .I listened to her happy voice for ten minutes and that was my first present. Then hubby dear woke me up with wishes and "oh my god "surprise of all surprises, my morning cuppa. Now all those who know me well, know that the kitchen is entirely my domain My dh, has smartly got on with life saying that nobody cooks or even makes tea like me. Our day usually begins with dh going for his morning walk. I love that extra 15 minutes of sleep and am ready with our tea by the time he returns and we have it in our balcony. Well, for my second present, I had the pleasure of going directly to the balcony. Then we went out for breakfast simply because I was getting used to the idea of doing nothing, so fast.

As usual I had the whole day to myself and as is my usual practise began the day with music by M.S. Today I would listen only to my favourites, not any song, I decided( Bhaja govindam, kurai onnum illai, and Bhavayami ) I just sat and listened to music the whole day without it just being a background score. Then followed it with hindi songs.. All the hits from my times…..ankhiyon ke jharokho se, Abhimaan, Aradhana ,Madhumati. I was humming along and having the greatest time of my life.

I indulged in a nice oil bath and had my favourite lunch of vethakuzhambu and kutty potatoes which took me exactly twenty minutes to prepare. Assuring myself that it was too simple a birthday lunch , I treated myself to two Fererro Rochers .In the afternoon,I completed the Grisham novel that I was reading and at 4 I went by myself to the mall to visit an exhibition on interiors and household items, a topic which interests only me in the house. I stress on "all by myself "because generally I am a person who needs company even to watch TV or during meals. I should learn to enjoy my own company, I decided. After that I was met by my dh and dd and we went on our customary trips to the temple, the orphanage and wound up the day with a sumptuous dinner and the movie "2012" on the night show. There is some childlike joy in watching a premiere show of a much talked about movie, and that too when we are sure that we will not get tickets for the same.

This was a complete birthday with nothing planned before ,no splurging party with friends, no presents ( oh yes my dearest daughter did get me an eye pencil…mainly because I used to share hers and ever since she left for hostel I had not even bothered to get one for myself) and yet I had the most enjoyable time.

One of the many things that I have truly learnt with age is that most of life's joys are within us to enjoy. It is fun to follow the heart once in a while and do the things one likes instead of our daily fixed routine. Also most of life's joys come in the simplest of things. I felt happy with wishes from some of my dear friends and relatives. Most importantly I was not bugged when a very close friend, whose birthdays I have always remembered and called to wish, called up just to brag about her recent holiday. After half an hour she paused to casually enquire whether everything was fine at my end when I cheerfully told her that it was my birthday and she could wish me. Now don’t I deserve a pat in my back for that? Haven't I truly" grown up" at last?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009

2. mohantina

mohantina Senior IL'ite

Bellated happy b'day dear

3. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

Girls are crazy with birthdays I believe.We always expect surprise gifts and wishes no matter how old we are.

It is good to know that you have celebrated it wisely:thumbsup

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,
    First I send my greetings to you!
    <table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="390"><tbody><tr><td class="text" align="center">Sending birthday blessings filled with love and peace and joy wishing sweetest things happen right before your eyes</td> </tr> <tr align="center"> <td>[​IMG]
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> When god made u he was having a good day! coz ur so special , so kindhearted , that its difficult 2 tell in words ... happy b irthday
    Your post reflected my feelings and thoughts!!! Yes, even now , I want all to greet me on my Birthday!!! Hearing my DD's voice, DS, DILS and grand kids make my day!!! I know it is child act but what to do? In this aspect my mind or heart does not want to grow up!!!:)
    with love
    pad

5. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Mins,
    May the birthday bring all you desire and bless you with all love and prosperity.

Every one loves to be wished and called. Its a nice feeling which we can't deny. Don't we celebrate God's birthday?

But not to be disturbed if other's dont wish you on this wonderfull day is something we need to cultivate.

The contentment and the happiness is seen well in your post which is sign of maturity.

Pothumada sami entha lecture: i can hear you saying it, chumma solli pathen .
    Wish you many happy returns of the day
    Jaya

6. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

My dearest Mindi,

Wishing you a very happy belated birthday.

A big big hug you.

love
    alpa:cheers

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hey mindi buddy,

I joined you in your celebrations of your birthday. Belated birthday wishes.

happy to know you had a great day.

8. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Very interesting write up. Enjoyed reading your experience.
    Definitely you need a pat on your back Mindi:) Though you have truely grown up, :)let me wish you a very happy birthday before i forget.:birthday

Meenakshi

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mindi,
    Here I am in the snippets section, as promised. What a wonderful way to celebrate a B'day. How lovely!
    It is the little things in life that we take for granted often. Your write up reminds each of us to enjoy the simple pleasures!
    Happy B'day once again.

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi

Here I am with a pat on your back and a :kiss...... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the day the way you wanted. That was important.