1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Paper chase

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

My performance appraisal was done recently by my boss & as he was setting target for the forthcoming year he said ” Jaya ! we need to go on to a paperless office. Can you work on that?” I know with current technology we can reduce the paper usage but to be devoid?
    We were supposed to be hurtling towards a paperless society. But evidence tells me otherwise. Almost everyday when I go to the front gate to check my mail box, I am confronted with a wad flyers advertising all manners of products or services. I usually flick thro’ them before relegating to the recycle bin, just to make sure a fat cheque from a Samaritan isn’t stuck between the adverts or any free give away gift offer .
    I never responded to any of these adverts , but can’t imagine anyone sitting with the coffee and spending even 10 minutes reading everything in details- all those promises of ant free garden, wrinkle free skin and fat free waistlines. I once saw an advert saying “Do you want money”? “yes of course who don’t? I imagined some Samaritan giving away money for people like me. Later I came to know it is from licensed money lender ,whose interest rate will make me indebted to him thro’ out my life.
    Lately since the onset of rain, those flyers have become a bit nuisance. You see- sometimes the person is in a hurry to finish his rounds, he doesn’t insert the flyers well into the mailbox. When it rains the flyers act as conductors of rain water into my mailbox, allowing the water to seep into the bona fide mail - fat cheque, invitation to high class parties, passionate love letter from Bill Gates or Warren Buffet – but actually, its almost bills and statements. But I am eternally hope full . Besides if a tree must die, it should be for a happy cause. A tree must not end its life demanding exorbitant amounts of money for electricity consumed, or telling me about my spending style thro my credit card statements.
    Still things may be different in future, 20 years from now, my mail box may look entirely .No bills (at least no bills on the paper) or flyers or passionate love letter from a millionaire (now that I am eligible) . I can almost hear my DS saying “Mommy! millionaires don’t write love letters , they may send a chartered plane to take you for a date, anyway at your age he may take you for a nanny for his kid”.
    I will miss the hand written address on envelopes or ripping open the envelope like a women in passion. On the other hand my late DH used to wait for the letter opener be given to him by his butler Jaya. Well he had the luxury of a butler in hand.
    20 years from now other Paper products may disappear. Of course now we have news paper on line, books can be downloaded, but the toiler paper may be-----I don’t want to imagine it what will replace it. We are used to toilet paper to absorb the moisture, maybe hot air blower may work in lieu but I am afraid of the danger of careless use and the accidents it will cause.
    Still no one can take the books away from me or my memory of post it note. I think it was in early 80s when it was put to use in dramatic manner. I was new at work, two of my colleagues were having disagreements. To vent his spleen, one of them wrote a message to the other on the post it and stuck it on the recipient’s desk when she was away at the coffee machine.
    When she came back, she looked at the note, looked at the offending co worker and began methodically ripping the notes into tiny pieces , underscoring each tare with a grunt. & loud hummmmm. We looked up to see what would caused the enraging, as to require a public destruction. The rhythmic nature of the tearing caused a wide spread suspicion that post It contained insulting words that caused the recipient to send a strong non verbal response. Now try with e-mail- it will be BOLD AND CAPITAL letters, Or I can imagine some one typing on the keyboard with strong finger pressure like Sivaji Ganesan playing piano in 80s Tamil movies with strong facial muscle movements. I often found my key boards of my desk top at my home didn’t function well, till noticed my late DH typing like he is on manual yester years typewriter. I looked at him with open mouth and said “these are touch keys, no need pressure”. The male ego said”I know” and continued in the same manner to my chagrin.
    Back to my story of “war of post its”. Later we came to know that man was apologetic while the lady was not in mood to accept, well it was called the war of post its. This drama kept us entertained for a week, with Mani retnam and Subhash Ghai’s talents coming into us.
    My thoughts on paperless life? Not while I am round.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Jaya
    I feel thrilled to see a female version of P.G.Wodehouse striding the portals of IL like the Colossus of Rhodes! Please don’t think that I am baring my fangs as a male chauvinist by calling you a female version of Wodehouse but you must concede that there is a general perception that humour is predominantly a male domain. An award for humour was instituted in 1947 in memory of the renowned Canadian Humorist Stephen Leacock. Since the inception of the Leacock Medal, only four female humorists have earned the honour. The most recent was Marsha Boulton who won it for her Letters from the Country, a great piece of writing indeed. But I wonder how many avid English readers have even heard of her name! It is a pity that female humorists are mostly toiling away in obscurity. I am really happy to see that you are hogging all the limelight in IL as a humorist par excellence.
    Your latest ‘Paper Chase’ yet again showcases your immense capacity for your tongue in cheek humour. I loved every line of it. When I read about the flyers acting as conductors of rain water into the mail box, I laughed out aloud. Besides it is so true too. I am sure everyone had experienced it. But you can’t always blame the mail deliverer for it. Even if he is not in s hurry, there are some invitations and journals which are too big even for the most gluttonous mail boxes! With that acting as conductors, the contents of the mail box become the kind of papier-mâché that artists from Walt Disney or Pogo would love to have in their hands.
    That reference to Sivaji Ganesan playing on the piano in the 80’s is really the ultimate punch line! I belong to that category of key board users!
    A great piece of writing Jaya. Absolutely funny all the way down to the last word!
    Sri

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

<style>.wysiwyg { BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; FONT: 10pt verdana, Lucida Sans Unicode, verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000 } P { MARGIN: 0px } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } </style>Dear Jaya,
    I enjoyed your write up from A to Z. Really it needs a lot of talent to write like this.
    Due to lethargy I lost a lot of data and pictures stored in my computer
    when my computer conked. I was told the hard disk got corrupted and data could not be revived.
    There was a thrill in guessing by seeing the hand written address who would have written the letter.
    Perhaps in the long run children might not be taught to write.They will start using computers or some other new gadget.

A nice write up,
    PS

4. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear jaya
    so enthrilling talk on paper chase vow!
    Hehebill gates & warren in line for our dear jaya beautiful ,it was hilarious to read -passionate love letter from Bill Gates or Warren Buffet – but actually, its almost bills and statements. But I am eternally hope full !
    but than your sincere feeling showed by the line that if a tree must die it should be for good cause & not to produce these junk mail papers.

I totally agree ,My home & chamber all are litterally filled with all those junk paers presented to me by pharma people ,I always ask them that- do they sincerely believe that this pamphlet knowledge would be useful to Doctors ? may be you also know as your son is a doctor. What a westage of resources & helping in increasing the global warming.
    Bye

5. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Dear Jaya mam,
    Quite a hilarious post on paper less office.Even i am waiting to see if we ever reach that state in my life time.Glad to know that you are waiting for a love letter from Bill gates or Warren buffet.I am sure if they ever read this post ,they will be after you in no time at all.Hope You get it soon and give us a big party.I feel laughing at ourselves only happens to those who are self confident.May you continue to rock us with your humorous posts.

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear Jay,

Absolutely hilarious...:biglaugh:biglaugh

Cant imagine how we can move to a paperless "office"of all places..i do not practise it even at home..only yesterday much to my dds and dhs irritation i gave some pictures to print...according to them in this digital age no one does it..but nothing like printed photographs with my captions for "truly" happy memories...

talking about shivaji I am reminded about how my brother and i had laughed seeing mridanga chakravarthy..the last scene where he plays with such force but his face starts bleeding...:)

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,

the first comment is Cheenya sir's eh , so u know what great quality this blog is.

Hilarious, and very true and illuminating, im still laughing at the toilet paper, and hot blowdyer eh ! HAHA

And Sivaji Ganeshan at the piano, HAHA.When i started 10 years ago on the keyboard, i too used to press the keys hard, the hangover of the typewriter days.Now it is just the light press.

and bill gates sending u a chartered plane eh ! i wish it comes true.HAHAHAHA

superb and i am nominating this right now.Superb.

Regards

kamal

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    You are emerging a second in line, to none other than the only humour-king of our forum!:thumbsup
    Kamalji rightly put it, that the quality of your writing has made cheeniya Sir rush here & post a first Fb. That shows your rating!:)
    He never comments on my blogs. That shows my rating!:-(
    No problem, you are my loving friend!! I share your pleasure!

You know the title 'paper chase' made me imagine thus:
    You were walking on the road, holding a very important document in your hand. The document being an important office paper, you were clutching it to your heart, lest it fly away. Suddenly from nowhere, (as it happens in movies!), a fierce wind blew & alas the paper flew away, just the way you had feared. You never bothered that it was on the road; you just ran chasing the paper
    Odinaai, Odinaai, OdikkoNde irunthai!!
    Sadly the paper fell into roadside drainwater - you were just shocked & you really froze when you remembered that you were answerable in office.
    My imagination also froze at that point!:rotfl

You write, being eligible,you are ready to receive p--------e love letters. Don't thing, I am not eligible - so long as I am a woman, age no bar, I am also eligible! Now, now, let me not fantasise! The forum moderator will
    surely 'TAK TAK, CUT' my post!:-(

Kamalji, you did the right thing in nominatng this post!!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

Let me be very honest with you...I am feeling quite J about you...reason my appa (Cheeniya) and mami dear (CV) always come to your thread with an fb..I know it is worth it but when will this dear daughter get a second glance from them...God only knows..Why don't you recommend dear?:crazy

I read this post long back but was waiting for our mami to post her fb..howzzat.. Mami's imagination is running riot...enna panradhu vayasu kolaru:rotfl. Poor Bill & Warren... ippadi ellam kanvu kannanuma neegalum seri mami yum seri...Pavam.. Seri Ponapordhunu consider pann sollarein unga rendu peruoda applications but who will get the priority nu ellarukum theriyum:biglaugh
    Just trying to pull your leg Jaya... but first class humour.. anyway who am I to tell when the Forum's Wodehouse has certified...:hide:

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    :bowdown:bowdown

I really treasure this fb, calling me Collussus of Rhodes. Remember it was struck by lightening, i prefer to be called Statue of Liberty. Collussus was in natural state, my current natural state is not worth looking,S.L is adorned by a garb ,this will suit me better hiding my infirmities

I want to hug you and kiss you because you mentioned my hero S.Leacock. I remember reading about him in school and then i got hooked on to him. Englishle naan konjum (romba) weak.So Wodehouse is beyond my abilities. There are few more in IL who writes with humor. I really was looking for someone who will mention S.Leacock. Must hug you for that.

If you can laugh at yourself, humor comes automatically.My DS too writes well with humor, but he refuses to write. I too had written few emotional pieces, but i prefer not to dwell in it. It was written at that time:spontaneous overflow of powerfull emotions at that instant.

Entha oru fb 100 fbke samam.
    Jaya
    p.s : I had written on charles and Boyles law,(in my pvt collection) but you beat me with your Archimedes & Einstein.