1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh! Working mothers......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sowmyasridhar, Oct 7, 2009.

1. sowmyasridhar

sowmyasridhar Senior IL'ite

Vandhana was tensed. Today is her first day at office after an year break. She is working in a software company. She had left her one year old daughter Durga at home with the baby sitter. Her grandma is also at home. Grandma is in her 70's. She has agreed to stay with them as Vandhana wanted some one from her home to stay with them even though Vandhana has appointed a baby sitter to take care of her baby. Still she is tensed. Far the past 15 days she has trained the baby sitter and was nearly satisfied and happy to get such a responsible person. Inspite of all these she was feeling dull and her mind was like in an owen, always tensed thinking of Durga every minute. Is she crying now? Will she eat properly in my absence? etc etc...All questions increased her pain..

Her boss called her and told that there is a project in another branch and she need to report there immedietely. While travelling she was thinking about the distance between home and the new office. It will take another 15 minutes extra. Total travel time of minimum 30 minutes. The baby sitter will be available till 6.30 P.M only. so, she had to start from the office by 6.00 P.M in the evening. If the project is a hectic one then it will tough for her to start by 6.00 P.M. All these thoughts made her even more sick.

She wanted to be at home till the baby turns out 3. Then also her wish was not to work full time. She recollected why she came back to work again. Her husband Girish also worked in a software company. More than 60% of his salary went to home loan. The remaining was enough to fullfill their monthly needs. Not even a penny they can expect from their in-laws. Their situation was also like that. Girish did not have a wealthy back ground also. No land, no savings, nothing they owned expect the home they bought in loan. Whatever they earn is theirs, very simple. so, literally no savings if she does not work. Next year Durga will turn 2. Any school will ask a huge amount for an admission. So, for the family's sake she decided to end her leave and joined work again.

Now, the decision was paining. Atleast if inlaws or her parents were at home, she will be releived. But both options were not possible as FIL is working still and Vandhanas mother is a teacher. Her heart went again and again to Durga. Vandhana reached the office and took over her new position. A system was allocated to her. She turned to her left. There was a lady to her left. She recognized that she was married as she had a cum cum in her fore head. She was very busy. [Later she came to know that her name was Latha]. Being the first day, Vandhana had very little work to do. She was refreshing her basics on her technology. She found herself happy on reading those.

Vandhana called home and spoke to grandma during lunch. Durga ate curd rice and there is no issue. She is now playing. A releif in her heart. In the afternoon by 2.30 P.M Latha got a call. As she had the conversation Vandhana was able to recognize what was going on. Latha was telling "Dont worry kanna. Everything will be alright. Drink the medicine and be a good boy with grandma. Amma will come there as soon as possible. Please dont cry da..Aren't you a good boy. I promise that I will be there very soon." Vandhana was able to hear even the kid's cry. Her heart went for the child. Latha started talking again. Now it is to her mother it seems " Amma, give him the medicine and dont forget to give honey after that. The medicine does not taste good. Is he giving you more trouble? If you are not able to handle call me again. Today we have an important meeting at 3.00 P.M. It will go for an hour. I shall try to get permission and reach home as soon as possible. Even if I get a permission and start here by 4.00 it will take an hour to reach home. Till then take care of him ma...."

Vandhana was nearly in tears. She wanted to console Latha and to tell her dont worry everything will be alright. Vandhana was like Oh Latha! please get a permission and go immediately. Your son needs you. If I were your boss, I will ask you to go immediately. But then Latha even after 4.00 did not start to home. By 5.00 she took the hand bag and rushed towards the door. Vandhana was a bit releived to see Latha going home at least now. Poor lady, the meeting got extended and had important tasks so she could not start immediately. Vandhana knew how Latha will feel till she reaches her home and see the child. There is no words to describe her pain.

Oh! Working mothers, how much pain you take with you.

Vandhana with a heavy heart returned to home. Durga was waiting for her in the entrance of the apartment and came running with very big smile as she saw her. Vandhana took the child with all kindness in the world. She went inside the home and went to the pooja room, placed thiruneer on Durga's fore head and prayed to kamakshi amman with tears in her eyes to protect her child when she is away from home.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009

2. sowmyasridhar

Dear friends,

This is my first attempt to write. Your feed back is valuable for me. Bear with me if I am wrong gramatically or if my english is not up to standards. I shall be very happy if I am able to take you through the very end of this post..

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Sowmya,
    How beautifully you have depicted a working mothers feeling. Some how it is tough juggling home and job and the emotional trauma a mom goes thro when she works. As much as she would love to stay home, due to financial constraints one has to go to work. You portrayed it very well
    Jaya

4. sowmyasridhar

Dear Jaya mam,

Thanks for your feed back. Yes..it is really hard to manage between work and home when the jobs nature need you long hours at office...

5. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Hi Soumya, You have just brought out the pain a working mother undergoes.You have potrayed it in an excellent way.

It is really a tough thing for a working mother particularly when we have small ones.But you know what if we do not start working within a gap of 1 or 2 years we might not get a job again.And not to forget we have an extra responsibility of taking care of household chores.

I just wish the companies understand the plight of working mothers and try to help them out in some way.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. ubellah

ubellah Bronze IL'ite

Hats off to u!!
    U have come out of u'r shell and exhibited your writing skills..
    True..every working woman..software professionals in particular...undergo these emotions every other day...but yes, it has become part n parcel of one's life....one has to forego many things for leading a comfortable life..

7. sowmyasridhar

Dear Bhuvnidhi,

I am happy to read your reply. Thanks for your feed back...

I agree..Yes. As the gap increases finding a job again is tough.

Very few companies have these concerns. I know few companies which enable the women to take an year of loss of pay leave for maternity reasons and join back.

8. sowmyasridhar

Ubellah,

yeah...atlast had the courage to give an attempt..

Rightly said, we give up to get more....

9. Shrikha

Shrikha Senior IL'ite

Hi Sowmya,

Yor post was so true, but you know what, there is one more pain which is not mentioned. I face this, at times my DS does not come to me, he shows resentment and that is even more painful. Yesterday he did that and I was crying in the night unable to handle this. I think he gets angry with me that I leave him and go. Wonder what his reaction will be today, hopefully he will be better today.

Regards,
    Shrikha

10. sowmyasridhar

Shrika,

He will be better today. Dont worry. It is the child's way of expressing that he needs you most. Try and spend more time with him when you are at home.

We take pains to give our dear little ones the best of what we are capable of.