1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brevity is the soul of wit

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Sep 18, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Brevity is the soul of wit

The proverb “Brevity is the soul of wit,” means intelligent communication (verbal and written) should use few and wisely chosen words.
    The origin of this proverb is the play, ‘:bonk
    This liege, and madam, to expostulate
    What majesty should be, what duty is,
    Why day is day, night is night, and time is time,
    Were nothing but to waste night, day and time.
    Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
    And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
    I will be brief: your noble son is mad:
    Mad call I it; for, to define true madness,
    What is't but to be nothing else but mad?
    But let that go.

The twitter.com which has become popular now tries to be an example for this. User is restricted to use only below 140 characters which could be sent via mobile texting, instant message or the web. People find it convenient to keep in touch with friends and colleagues wherever they are.

From politicians to film artists, a lot of our people, find this web site fascinating and use it so as to catch up with the latest means of being in touch with the masses!

Poor Mr Shashi Tharoor! An author, a humanitarian, peacekeeper, columnist, former UN under-secretary general and now, a minister of state for external affairs, relatively new to the nuances of politics was caught unawares when he commented about the austerity measures of our finance minister. He tweeted that he would definitely travel “in cattle class out of solidarity with all our holy cows!”

Is he trying to compare the public who travel in economy class to cattle and the ministers are the holy cows? Now a debate is going on about his comments.
    Congress president, youth congress secretary, finance minister and many other ministers- all travel in economy class instead of business class.

So this has now been taken as an issue by the Congress- “Who were the holy cows”?
    Already Mr Tharoor was pulled up for staying in a five star hotel as he did not get accommodation in the capital. He was ready with an answer for this saying that he was paying from his own pocket, not from the tax payer’s money.

Hi hi……. Sorry for deviating from the topic!

Brevity may be the soul of wit! But while tweeting we should be careful about the wit!
    Last note: Poor Mr Shashi Tharoor has apologized for his tweet!

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS
    An excellent topic to write a long thesis on! 'Brevity is the soul of wit'!
    Brevity may be the soul of wit but not of tweet. That's what Sashi has proved! He seems to use his foot more for putting in his mouth than walking! I am surprised that a suave person who has held a high office in UN could rival the likes of Groucho Marx in making such comments!
    Enjoyed the soul of your wit thoroughly PS!
    Sri

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS,

HAHA.good one.

Well if he compares us to the cattle, then i compare to an ASS. Toda there ws a photo of him flying 9th aug economy class, to prove that he is doing tht.

Tell me, he was paying from hispocket for the suite he was staying at, would he not have submitted it later to the Govt for reembursement.Who is hje trying to bully and fool ?

Holy cow !

Regards

kamal

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    Thanks a lot. My day has started with the boni of your first fb which boosts my morale! :hiya:hiya
    As soon as one enter the mire :drowningof politics it seems the qualities of the person automatically changes! It seems Sashi is not an exception.
    Thanks once again for dropping in and poting your valuable comments
    Love,
    PS.

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Mr Kamalji,
    Shashi has turned a true politician after he entered the Loksabha through congress ticket. He must be knowing it is difficult to suvive in politics if he doesn't adopt to the atmosphere.
    I have also seen the photo. (curtesy-Times of India)
    It seems he is also following the age old proverb, "Make hay while the Sun shines!"

Love,
    PS

quote=Kamalji;863694]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  6. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear mom,
    That was a real witty one from you!
    Good punch line!
    Love,
    Malathi

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Hi Malathi,
    Thanks for your sweet words.
    Love,
    PS