1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The kids mind!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

The kids mind!

Sundar, a colleague of mine, had been inviting us to his house for a long time. Somehow, with both myself and my wife working, we could never make it. So, one day, when I was at home with the children, I thought it would be a good idea visiting Sundar and then taking the kids to the beach from there. As Sundar did not have a phone at home, I could not inform him about my plans. However, I took a chance and landed at his place unannounced, along with my daughter Jay, 7 years, and son Krish, 5 years. Krish was a quiet & sensitive boy while Jay was a happy go lucky girl.

Sundar was pleased to see me & the kids. We chatted office politics for sometime. My kids were getting restless and started moving around the house. There was no child of their age to play with. So, I thought that I would as well leave for the beach early.
    I told Sundar so. But, he insisted on my staying for some more time.
    I reluctantly agreed.
    Meanwhile, as Sundar's wife called him from inside, he went in. He returned in a couple of minutes and we once again got latched on to office politics. The kids, obviously, got bored of moving around the house, came and sat next to me. As I did not want to test the patience of my kids anymore, wanted to leave immediately. But, when I told Sundar that we were leaving, my son , Krish, suggested that we sit there for some more time. I was surprised.
    Infact, I wanted to leave soonest, thinking that my kids were getting bored. Whereas, here my kid himself was suggesting our staying back for some more time. It was fine with me. So, I sat back and chatted with Sundar for another 10 min or so.
    When I looked at Krish whether we could leave now, he signalled " wait, wait". I was intrigued.
    The kids were just sitting there, doing nothing but talking amongst themselves, yet were not prepared to leave, that too for beach !.
    After a few minutes, I could not bear this suspense any more. So, I asked my son whether he liked Sundar uncle's house so much that he did not want to go to beach even?
    Krish did not reply, but just looked at me, looked at his sister and kept quiet. Then I asked him openly asto what was the matter. I started getting worried whether he was not feeling well or something.
    My daughter, Jay, who was more vocal in expressing her mind came forward," Appa, shall I tell you why Krish is not keen on leaving right now?"
    I said, "Pl go ahead. I am surprised".
    Sundar was also eager to know the reason.
    My daughter replied " Appa, few minutes back, when we were going around the house, we happened to hear what Sundar uncle and aunty were talking. First Aunty was furious that you do not even have common sense to inform about our coming in advance. Thereafter, she also doubted uncle's common sense in insisting on our staying back, presumably for some snacks, when there was nothing at home to offer. Immediately uncle said that he would send someone for fetching laddoos and pakoras from a shop nearby. Somebody has gone for getting it and may be back soon. Krish feels that the laddoos and pakoras would go waste and it would be a let down for the uncle also, if we leave now. Hence he is suggesting our staying back till they come".
    Normally, my kids don't even look at laddoos or pakoras at home. Here they are even prepared to wait for them to come!
    Also, after my daughter explaining what went on inside between Sundar & his wife, in such unambiguous terms, I didn't know who was more embarrassed - Sundar or myself.
    All the same, we both laughed aloud. :biglaugh
    Needless to mention, this incident certainly gave me an insight into the kid's mind as well.
    anbudan,
    Rrg

6 people like this.

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sir
    Innocene is the kid's mind and you have well related it. At times what kids says can be embarrasing yet they speak the truth. That's the most lovable part of kids.

Kids say the darnest things
    Jaya

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your appreciation, Jaya.
    We learn many a lessons from the innocence of the kids. They are sensitive to many an issue that we take for granted.
    Thanks for your FB as well.
    Cheers!
    Rrg

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rrg, this incident took me back my memory lane.One my uncle visited us from Bombay.
    whenever he visits us there will be loads of chocolates and biscuits.But that time he
    forgot to carry those along.My sis who was in UKG opened the door when the bell rang,
    after seeing the uncle she looked him up and down and then to his hand asking allowed,
    "Onnum konduvaniley?"("Didnt you bring anything?") After the incident he never forgets to bring
    atleast a smallchocolate to her:D

1 person likes this.
  5. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Only childrens can be that sincere and innocent... Nice post... :thumbsup

6. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Loved the write up, Rrg!

7. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

I could relate that to my kids. They are twins , 3 years old.

Whenever we go for a walk in the evenings. if they see anybody eating something. They wont ask me directly. My daughter will tell my son, wait shreyas, I will tell amma to buy that for you. or viceversa. That means i should understand that they want that. Even if i forget that they will drag me to the shop and remind me of that. kids dont look at the place or at person before telling or asking what they want. olivu maraivu illadha nenjangal, nam kuzhandaigal. illaya sir.

8. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Sandhya,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I fully agree with your views on the kids.
    Cheers!
    Rrg

9. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    Thanks for your feed back and sharing your experience.
    Similar thing happened to my elder brother once, when he visited us. The kids were 6 and 8 yrs old. Everytime he used to bring choclates; but on that occasion his visit was planned in the last minute. Also, the flt got delayed and he could reach our home only after shops were closed.
    He compelled me to drive all over Delhi that night for getting something for the kids. Needless to mention, he never again failed to bring something for them.
    Now, the kids are returning the favour and everytime they land in India they come with some nice present from abroad for their beloved periappa. :)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

10. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Vashini & Radha,
    Thanks for your FB & compliments. :)
    Cheers!
    Rrg