1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The grass is green at my home

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

THE GRASS IS GREEN AT MY HOME

A couple of months ago I decided I will change the cow grass (common name of the grass) in the lawn to some more sophisticated – Bermuda or tiff dwarf – (common name carpet grass). Armed with this little knowledge, I went to the nursery, the owner took me to a mount of 2x1 foot rectangle of turf laid out .He said” Its just laying the carpet tiles”& assured me that “it couldn’t be easier”.
    Iam always wary of people who says “couldn’t be easier" .Invariably such people are expert in the area of chosen field. It is something like they say “it ain’t rocket science”.Just because it is easy for them doesn’t make it easy for others.
    Well! the turf was delivered to my house, and I asked the delivery man if he could help me with the stuff, he made few comments “no time & time being money”. So I waved him good bye resolving to do it myself
    I waited for the sun to settle a bit, with lots of sun tan on my face and hands and l viewed the de- nuded garden. Then I started laying the turf tiles, though it wasn’t rocket science my muscle power was giving away. By that time my son came home and I coaxed him to help me and gradually I started supervising his work & with my usual crisp remarks about his work.
    While I was supervising I heard my son grunt “child labour, I need to report to authorities”. I looked around to look for the child , I saw was just my 31 year old son. His concept was that he is still a child since he is not married and still living with his mom. All advantages given to the child shd be accorded to him as per his rules. “Quiet !finish the job” I said.

Next couple of days I literally watched my grass grow. I trimmed the growth with shears, while I thought fondly of my cow grass which didn’t need that much of attention. Though the cutting of the grass did benefit my anatomy, I didn’t want labor intensive job. So I went to the shop and enquired about the grass cutter machine which I have seen the council workers use it. Should be a piece of cake I thought and vendor brought out the equipment was trying to fix it for me without looking into the catalogue. This male trait comes from the same piece of DNA that allows a man to drive around lost & still not ask for direction.

I took the cutter home and asked my neighbours to help me, my son to read the catalogue, checked the website for details. This female trait comes from the same piece of DNA that allows woman constantly ask her partner where he had been ,what he has been doing, worst of all asking him what he is thinking while he is just going to sleep.

I realized I needed a safety glass/goggles to protect myself from flying objects while cutting, so I unearthed a goggles, strapped the machine to my back, with goggles on , looking like an alien, I immediately shattered my neighbours quiet Saturday.

Within two minutes I realized I need to master the technique, before you can achieve an uniform cut, which was beyond my grasp. As a result of ineptitude, my over exuberance and blurred vision of my goggles I had made bare patches, succeeding in creating bald spots on my lawn.

I prayed for the rain & my prayers were answered. Its been raining and I see some sprouts at the bald spots ( wish this will be a remedy for balding) and now I have become wiser & have decided to outsource this job

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Jaya Madam

You made my day:thumbsupYou gave me the much needed laugh for today

It was soooo hillarious...when your son is saying child labour is illegal and you disclosed that he is 31 and as he is unmarried he treats himself as a child (but anyways to one extent he also was right, as to every mom their kid is a child no matter what age he is at...)

:biglaugh:biglaughreally couldnt stopp laughing while i was reading about the bald spots and how your prayers were answered:rotfl

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. vijianand

vijianand Senior IL'ite

Jaya Madam,

Very hilarious post!!!! Dna comparisons, bald spots and child labour ... I had a hearty laugh!!!!!

Regards,
    Viji

4. prijan

prijan Senior IL'ite

hi jayaji,
    lol.coudnt control my laughter.thanks for making my morning happy.loved the way you wrote.child labour.....ha ha ha .....
    prijan

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    so happy to see you here with such a hilarious post!!! Your son is a child only for you though he becomes a father or grandfather. In a way he is correct. when i visualized with goggles and the cutter, I had a hearty laugh.
    I remembered my adventure in US, trying to help my Son in law in cutting the grass. Alas!!! I could not even move the mower.So in a stylish I walked out of the venture safely handed over the responsibility to my DH. Thanks to the rain which made your " bald spots" green.So seeing your grass, you can sing"
    Rain, Oh! Rain
    You have such power in lands
    Your gentle presence means green.
    with love
    pad

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  6. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jaya,
    your post took me back to those days when my mom will ask us to water the plants and we being lazy beings will keep on fighting on whose turn is it now:)

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Thanks Srividya
    Often i think iam smart and enjoyed DIY & later needed others to sort it. I know iam not mechanically inclined but still there is always a first time.
    Jaya

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Viji ,
    I have been observing DNA charasterstics for some time, had made some conclusions.
    Thanks for the fb
    Jaya

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Prijan,
    Thanks, my DS has been pampered a lot, so he often find ways and means not to do work at home.
    Appreciate your fb
    Jaya

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Power house Pads !

I notice your fbs are getting better than the main posts. I had to laugh,otherwise i know i will be moaning abt my loss.

Thanks for the fb
    Jaya