1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kalyanamam Kalyanam !!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

"Kalyanamam Kalyanam !"​

" Mappilai azahipukku ellam ready. Do we go and wait at the temple?" Pattabhi Ganbadigal came towards me, adjusting his pancha-kachcham.
    "Right, mama. I will come with you after informing the photographer also", I said and started going around looking for the elusive photographer. Pattabhi Ganabadigal nodded in agreement, "Amanda, avan romba mukkiam. Indha photokarangal, nama thedumbodhellam engayavadhu prakku paththindu ninindrippangal. Apparama vandhu, marupadiyum malaiya podu, thaliya kattunnu padhuthuvangal". (These photographers would be missing whenever we look for them. Thereafter would come and make your life miserable to once again exchange garlands or tie the thali).
    "Adunala enne mama, naanumthan photo ediukkaraney. We will not miss any function. Don't bother" I assured him with a sense of pride. :)
    Finally we located the Photographer and all of us together adjourned to the temple.

This conversation was taking place way back in 1967, during the marriage of my elder brother. I had just completed my SSLC and was yet to join college. As a reward for my coming 2nd in school in the SSLC public examination, my brother had presented me with his old Yashica camera. I was totally new to photography and this was the first time I had an opportunity to handle a camera on/as my own . I was hanging around the photographer (PG) to get to know the tricks of the trade, camera angle, lighting etc. It was an interesting learning experience from a professional. The PG also took interest in teaching me, knowing the importance of keeping younger brother of the groom in good books.
    All through Janvasam procession, one elderly person of about 60 yrs, distantly related to us, 'onnu vitta thatha' or something, was watching my taking pics with enormous interest. I felt proud and tried to show off. From his looks, I could see that the thatha (T) was impressed.

T was with me throughout the Janavasam. I was surprised at his energy levels even at that age, moving around with me non-stop. I learnt that he was the first cousin of my father's father. He had enough landed property near Tanjore and living comfortably in his village, out of agricultural income. Mostly he remained in the village only and had come to attend this marriage at the insistence of my dad. In the procession, he introduced me to his wife, the patti, also. Nice looking lady, gracefully aged, with vaira thodu, vaira mookuththi etc with a beautiful, big round kumkuma pottu on her forehead. She some how reminded me of MS of those days, but a bit older. She looked quite fair as well. Seeing T interacting quite freely, despite the age difference, I took the liberty of telling him that the patti looked very nice for her age and perhaps might have been a stunner in her young days. T laughed heartily "athay enda kuzhandai ketkare, Vasanthakokilam thoththa po". Understand Vasanthakokilam was a beautiful actress of 1940s. She was compared to MS for her singing talent also.

Overall I liked T's attitude. He inturn said that he had taken an instant liking for me. Everything went off well and we had dinner. Those days, on Janavasam nights, all guests stretched themselves in the choultry hall, on the carpets only, in rows & rows, under the fan. There used to be a stiff competition for getting a place directly under the fan. One or two groups would be playing cards in a corner, kasu vatchu, throughout the night. The cooks used to be the noisiest lot amongst them. One group would go for night show in the nearby theatre and return very late. Over all the marriage atmosphere used to be lively with everybody enjoying it, excepting perhaps the bride's father. :rotfl

T was sitting next to me during dinner also. He was shouting at the server for giving me more Badam kheer in a glass. " Very good for health, you know" he said. While, I did wonder on a couple of occasions as to why he was chupkafying with me throughout, I dismissed the thought as of no great relevance. But, when I was trying to secure a vantage place under a fan, for resting at night, I found T also trying to get a place next to me, arguing with an 'immovable' guy, already lying there. I had heard about 'gay' tendencies in some older men, from my school friends and was a bit concerned about T's behaviour now. I was not going to risk sleeping next to such a character, whether he was 'gay' or 'no gay'. :hide:
    But,this man was distantly related to me and I can not afford to antagonise him. My dad would be furious. So, I told "Thatha, ungalukkaga than fannukku adiyile indha edam pidichchane. Neenga paduththukkongo. I have some more work to do and thereafter would manage to find a spot somewhere to sleep ". But, T was not that easy to 'kazhattufy'. He said that he was not that sleepy and suggested our sleeping on the 'motta-madi' (terrace) of the choultry, instead of fighting with such senseless creatures for a spot under the fan indoors. "Who had fans in those good old days and did people not sleep? Also, in my house, I always preferred sleeping on the 'thinnai' rather than sleeping under the fan", he declared.
    My doubts about his intentions got intensified and I was literally scared.
    I said, " OK. I would come just now" and ran away.

After an hour or so, I found that T had already secured a place under the fan and slept. I heaved a sigh of relief, chose a spot, as further away from him as possible. and was so tired that I slept immediately .

It was about 3 in the morning when I felt some movement next to me & got up with a start. I found T was now lying next to me. I tried moving out from there as silently as possible. But, T was smarter. He was awake & smiled at me. He said that he got up for relieving himself at mid-night and found me sleeping here. So, he also decided to shift closer to me. I didn't know how to get rid of him. Suddenly, he held me by hand and said that he was waiting to talk something very personal since evening. Now that we both were free, he suggested our going to terrace and 'kaththaada utkandhundu" chatting for a few minutes. I hastened that we could as well discuss in the morning but if it was very urgent there it self. After looking around carefully and ensuring there was no one listening, he revealed his desire very softly, in my ears.
    " Nanum sayangalaththilirundhu parkarane. Neyum andha photokaranukku sariya padam edukkarae. I am sure you are a good photographer. Ennayum pattiyayum vachchu oru Blue film edukkaraiya?". I was appalled. I was not expecting this. More than anything, I was hurt as well.
    "Thatha, naan adhellam eduththailla".
    " Appo andha photokarankittyavadhu solluda. Nee sonna ketpaan. Enakku neridaya avanai ketka konjam koochchama irukku".
    I got up furious and could not hold myself back any more.
    I ran looking for my father and woke him up.

" Appa, unga chittappa behaviour enakku konjam kooda pidikkala. He is a confirmed pervert. Naan thania irukkumbodhu, asinga asingama ellam enkitta pesarar. I don't know what you would do. I do not want him to come near me anymore".
    My dad who was irritated first when I woke him up, was fully awake looking at my condition and hearing what I had just uttered.
    " Avar appidiellam illaida, Kanna. Romba acharama, pujai punaskaram ellam pannaravar, why should he misbehave with you?. What exactly did he say or do?"
    "Appa, I feel ashamed even to think of what he said, leave alone repeating it. You do one thing. Pl go to him right now and ask him directly what he told me"

It was already about 4.30 AM - time for those day's oldies to be up & about looking for a cup of coffee.
    My dad agreed and went looking for his chittappa. I was watching the scene from a distance. I know, my father would not tolerate such things and was expecting a 'boogambam' (earth quake) blast.
    My dad sat close to T and called him softly.
    T also got up immediately and both of them talked for 10 minutes are so "kusukusuinnu".
    Then my dad burst out laughing uncontrollably. He then turned around and beckoned me, still laughing.
    I didn't expect such a behaviour from my dad - whom I was holding in high pedestal. I was sure that T had woven some story, a blatant lie and mislead my dad. I wanted to expose T then & there. I went to them.
    T was looking apologetic and embarrassed. He avoided my eyes.

But, when dad explained the whole thing, I also burst out laughing.
    I profusely apologised to T. We became such good friends that from then on I started visiting T's village house for each & every annual vacation and spent atleast a couple of weeks, as if he was 'my original & not onnu vitta' T and enjoyed the hospitality of both T and Patti. Great couple !

During these visits I always made it a point to carry the camera with me and take 'Blue Films' rather 'colour photos' of T & P, without fail.
    Purinjadhollio? Santhosham.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl
    Anbudan,
    Rrg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009

2. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Wow...

Excellent narration...

Appidiye kalyana veetai kann munalle kondu vandhu niruththitael pongo!

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Shakambariji,
    I am pleased that you liked the narration.:)
    I find my endeavour to describe the incident as seen by me has been successful to a certain extent. Thanks for the complements.
    Cheers!
    Rrg

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rrg

You have narrated whatever happens in a kalyana Mandapam very nicely . Felt as if I was there watching the whole scene. That was a good suspense about the blue film.

Regards
    viji

5. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your appreciation, Viji Ji.
    It encourages to write more.:)
    Rgds,
    Rrg

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

dear RRG,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.Though i dont understand Tamil, but i did get the gist of yr blog.Brilliant really.What hemeant was colour films instead of black and white or what ? But hilarious man too good.HAHA

The way u narrate, is superb.

regards

kamal

7. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Dear RRG Sir,

I could relate with this story so beautifully becoz a similar incident

happened in my house is the 70s.

My cousins and myself were planning a movie outing...Those were days sans T.V.s or D.V.Dsor YOUTUBE and even movie outings needed the
    prior sanction of elders...

When we asked permission to go out to a KamalHassan movie(forgot the name) my aunt immediately vetoed it saying that it was an "A" movie and we were not old enough for it.

Immediately one of our guests 8 year old kid voiced his protest loudly...

"Paravaillai enne periya A padam? Enga Appa ennai Blue Film kaey kootindu poyirukka...Amma onnum solla maataa..."

We were dumbstruck for a moment...

Then ,Mom asked him "ADhu enna padam ,Kanna?:idontgetit::bonk"

" Mami,Blue mattum illai, Red, green ella padamum paathiruken "

and he stood smugly while we ran to another room laughing out aloud and elders heaved a sigh...

another Mami took us out to a more insipid film.

And later we saw that A movie had just a few kissing scenes:biglaugh:biglaugh

8. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

Great piece of narration... felt like I was watching a movie in my mind...

Marriages in those days were such fun... and you have given an interesting and unexpected twist at the end...

Good one!

Padma

9. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamal,
    Thanks for your mail.
    Sorry that I didn't realise you did not understand Tamil.
    I have since edited my reply to you in my Aroodam post also accordingly. From now on,dear friend, for your sake, I would try to incorporate English translation for Tamil words in stories posted in this forum.:)
    Yes! you understood it right. The old man wanted meto take a color film (instead of black & white) of he & his wife that lead to this hilarious experience for me.:rotfl
    Keep reading! Soon you may pick up few Tamilwords as well.:)
    Cheers,
    Rrg

10. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Shakambari,
    Thanks for your mail.
    I could very well appreciate the reaction of you all when the boy announced seeing blue films with his parents.:)
    Cheers!
    Rrg