1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I asked for it,didnt I?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Mindian, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

I am sure the family entertainment in most of our houses this week is the ongoing tennis matches at Wimbledon. My family is no exception to it and both of them are glued to the TV while I am with my laptop “connecting” with my friends. This way all of us are happy doing our own thing and in between I am distracted by their loud cries of “Break point” or whatsoever.

Yesterday while watching the women’s semifinals both father and daughter were discussing about the strengths and weaknesses of Serena and Venus Williams. Not wanting to be left alone I entered the conversation with “Hey, lets talk about OUR strengths and weaknesses, for a change, You know, families are supposed to talk about these things together so that we understand each other better etc etc.”

I do not know why but I hurriedly changed into “Ok, always positive things first, so strengths ,tell me my BEST strength (I should have stuck to that as you will know why, later) first.” I sat expectantly for a shower of compliments.

“STRENGTHS? Mamma? As in PLURAL?” .This, you know from whom?
    Not one to be upset easily, I said this question was not for her but for daddy, my partner who is supposed to know me the best but that she was welcome to add her compliments.

“What?” asked my dh in his absent minded manner clearly not wanting to talk much but I insisted and he said “Ok, let me think.”

“THINK? Hey, we just completed twenty three years of marital bliss and aren’t you supposed to think of at least twenty three good points and that too in twenty three seconds?” I asked him.
    Anyway I decided to be helpful and started giving hints “You are looking out for the words fun loving, loyal, generous, kind, lovable…right?”

“Clearly mamma, modesty is NOT one of them.” This, again from my cheeky daughter.

There he sat thinking HARD as if he was trying to solve a physics problem given by my dd. At last he came up with ‘I think, you are a very good organizer….you plan, organize and execute well.”

ME: And……….? WHAT, that’s it?
    HIM: Why, what did you want me to say..
    ME with my proudest expression: “No, no I am very fair….I never fish for compliments …...if I ask you, I want your honest opinion..

That’s it friends, I was wise enough to stop the conversation and let them see the match.

I thought I will ask all of you to find out what your FAMILY thinks is your best strength…..And one tip, maybe you should do it snuggling closely to him. After all, there is a time and place for everything, no? I should have planned my timing better, not when he is preoccupied with the Williams sisters, right?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    sindmani likes this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi

Good post and I am the first one to give fb. I am not so good in giving fbs but still let me try. My family thinks that simply I worry about what others will say and worry myself. They think my best strength is my patience in everything. Anyway let me think about it and come back if any. Right now I wanted to be the first to give you fb.

love
    viji

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,

You definitely have a way of bringing out the best even when the topic is serious...good you did not ask what do you think is my weakness.

no matter how snuggled I am , the answer would definitely not help....:biglaugh
    On a serious note, it is always necessary that as a family we sit and discuss the positive, the negative, strength and weakness at that instant..and it definitely gives us a insight into how our family views us, and also helps in correcting..

well on my strenghths and weakness i am taking a raincheck...:coffee :crazy. (who wants to get into trouble when veda peeps in if at all he does)

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

HAHA.

But your husband's taste in women is not too good.the william sisters, look like they are still apes.the skin colour, their hair, and their faces, they would put any sane man off.HAHA

Yes i would understand if he was absentminded if he was watching the youthful Steffie Graff, or Anna k , or Sharapova, but the willians.Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And did u read yest about which matches are played on the centre courts in wimbledon ?those of the pretty looking female players, this was in yesterday's newspapers, and i was shocked.And Wimbledon has agreed that this is so.Shame , nahin ?

And now i will tell uy what are u good qualities, one , that u are a good writer, two u re a good commentor to my blogs.HAHA

what say !

Regards

kamal

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Mindi,
    Nice topic to ponder over..I cannot give a fb as of to my strengths and weaknesses here...as you had pointed out..there is a place and time to ask ...to get the answers..(the answers we want)..:biglaugh
    I thought you are going to discuss about the decibels of their screaming and grunting..which the officials are thinking to ban .:rantThis bothers the players playing opposite to them..this refers not only to Williams sisters but also to other female participants too..

Be happy that your dh and dd, didn't mention about it...just kidding.

sriniketan

6. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Thanks for your interesting post. :)
    Seriously, we do not carry out 'unbiased introspection' to be clear about our own strengths & weaknesses - leave alone our loved ones'.
    Also, normally, the spouse is taken for granted. We do not fully recognise their potential - be it husband or wife. Perhaps, familiarity breeds contempt.
    I used to joke with my wife that had Mr.Abdul Kalam be married, even his wife would not have considered him really intelligent and would have attributed his success to luck factor only.
    So much for understanding spouses S&W.
    Cheers!
    Rrg

7. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi mindi
    After a very long gap I am logged today & first thing giving you fb.
    so nicely written .
    Hey after so many years of marriage ( my personal experience of twenty four completed on twenty seven june ) Husbands answer us in their sleep walking mode or absentminded ness .They just take our qulities taken for granted :bonk& are more interested in william sisters yuvraj & dhoni Or even mamta banerjee bringing out rail budget:rant.
    my strength is bearing this all :rotfl No ?

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindian,
    We do SWOT analysis periodically and this has helped us to navigate through difficult situations.Once after discussing the strengths of every one we took up weaknesses for discussion.My turn was the first one.Mithila madam told her daughters that one A4 sheet was not enough ,making all of us to enjoy the joke.If taken in right spirit such analysis helps us focus on common objectives and makes every one a part of the decision making.Nice write up.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

sindmani likes this.
  9. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Mindi,

That was a really good post from you, had a good laugh ...

Wondered why on earth you went in with such a leading question... bad move at any time, mind you ... and specially when they are preoccupied with the current sports event...

Usually, we women end up at the receiving end of the royal absent-minded act ... a fool-proof way to dodge any question ... that will put them on the wrong foot

After nearly four decades, I am still very wary of broaching any such topic... I know I'll end up the loser!!!

Glad to see you retreated ... what do they say about discretion and valour???

Super yaar,

LnBBHs,
    Padma

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

Right or not, I want to describe your post as a 'cute little post'!!!

And, Padma's above feedback reflects my thoughts on it,totally! It could have been me writing it...(same pinch Padma:)),

Even if I did snuggle up to him, all I would get is a puzzled look from him...:rotfl

L, Kamla