1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Real father's day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

REAL FATHER’S DAY

21<SUP>st</SUP> June 09 was father’s day, in real sense a father’s day for my son.

My DH was very athletic and sports buff with natural talent and acumen for games. He generally keeps himself active with interests in sports & gardening etc . Few days ago he developed some fever and was admitted in hospital as it was confirmed as Dengue fever. So it was shuttling of home and office and hospital for me. A week in the hospital elapsed, was back home and was looking forward for his recuperation, within a day he developed severe back pain that it was painful even to keep a step. Again a cycle of admission to an Orthopedic and with various tests like MRI , physio etc and an epidural injection he was discharged. It was time of heavy work load at office, so again shuttling of home and work and taking care of my DH. Just within 2 days he again felt muscular spasms and he became so weak that he had to readmitted on 20<SUP>th</SUP> June 09 . This time the Physician was disturbed about the results . Exhausted I immediately applied for leave at work, decided it is going to be home and hospital only.

20<SUP>th</SUP> June 09 night: My DH was in ICU with septicemia, long wait in the waiting lounge of the hospital. Somehow by now I was at home in hospitals & had learnt to sleep in the chair and grab some food in between . My DS was too with me, since the doctors were his former colleagues, he too was with his father in the ICU. It was almost 2.00 am , my DS told me to go back home and then come in the morning as he will be with his Dad. I drove back home in the wee hours, thinking normally my DH will never allow me to drive alone at night, reaching home I dozed off to sleep, my phone rings again my DS calling me to come to the hospital “ Papa needs to be moved to a larger hospital and he is very serious”. Even in my wildest dream I didn’t think my DH health will turn to worse, as he is very resilient and my trust in Divine was strong. Rushed to hospital in the wee hours, after feeding my dogs ( was not sure at what time will I be back). When I reached the hospital at 3.30 am my DS told me that papa was conscious and I heaved a sigh of relief. Meanwhile he was rushed to a bigger hospital and coronary care unit and was on ventilator.

Following the ambulance, I reached the hospital by 4.30am and he was stabilized. It was about 7.00am , both me and my DS sat thinking that my DH has crossed the critical time, feeling jubilant and thanking all the stars in heaven. It was 21<SUP>st</SUP> June 09, I told my DS “you gave a new leash of life to your father in ICU ( as he attended to him when his pulse stopped) and it is your fathers day gift “.

I was still sitting at the lounge going into the ward now and then, & my DS just went out for his coffee. My Guru and other spiritual friends were praying continuously , meanwhile my Guru from India sends an sms to me “Go inside”. Though I didn’t understand the meaning, I went into CCU and was looking at my DH who was on ventilator, a doctor attending to him, & then suddenly on the monitor I saw his heart beat has stopped, followed by rush of doctors and nurses at panic situation. My heart was saying he will be fine, don’t worry. I quietly called my DS who came rushing in (it was the same hospital my DS was working) , it was the longest half an hour that I had ever endured. There was no sign of recovery, when my DS told the doctors to stop resuscitation turned and told me “its over”.I heard myself telling, “ no it is not possible , he will be fine”.Try again, I said, he said more than half an hour no blood has gone to his brain, its no use. I looked unbelievingly. I went near my DH’s body there was no more pain , but a pleasant smile as though he was saying “all my pains have gone”.

Then I started messaging to my family in India and others, still in a hazy dream.

I read a lot on vedanthic topics, read a lot on death, near death experience, life after death ,consider myself a soul and not a body etc etc. Somehow got a reputation that I am always calm, cool & collected & not swayed by emotions. Painful experiences in early life had made me a strong person.

But suddenly felt so lost in life, no more tears, just looking at the people who came into pay condolences with a frozen smile or nod. I heard everyone saying “it’s a great loss”. My mind was saying “ shut up! it my loss”. I knew everyone meant well and everyone was trying their best to be helpful. I wanted to be left alone, felt lonely in the crowd. I heard “ you are such brave person” . My mind said “ That’s my acting, ”. I could hear my friend saying “ cry Jaya ,don’t bottle up” .

I heard myself praying to God to release my DH’s soul that his departure to the other world is easy. I was saying mentally “Go! Go! I release you from the bondage of relationship. Please forgive me for the quarrels we had. I did my best to my best knowledge, at times we both have erred at times. Go Go”.

But must admit Divine love humor. My DS requested me to give him a dhoti for the prayers, so I took one (taking into consideration his big frame of 6ft & broad body )and told him that I have left it on the bed, but forgot to inform him that it is in my bed. Before commencement of ceremony he went into his rooms with all the cousins and looked for the dhoti. He couldn’t differentiate the white sari with small prints of my MIL that was in the bed placed wrongly(by my niece in his room), he wrapped the saree around like dhoti with pallu at the back. When he came out of the room with printed dhoti, I asked him where did you get this dhoti? He said it was in the bed & then only he realized that he has wrapped a saree & not a dhoti. He felt so shy ran back to his room while the whole congregation laughed. Even today the incident of wrapping saree to dhoti makes us go into laughter. His friends still tease him about wearing saree.

“Om Nama shivaya” was reverberating in the house , felt a vacuum inside, at times wondered is this real? Or Is it a dream?
    That night my DS came and slept next to me and asked me “mummy I see a big butterfly in the house fluttering here and there, Is this papa?” I said “Why do you ask me? ” .” “Mummy I was sitting in the garden with my friends having dinner, it was with us thorough out the time” I said “ It has been with us from the time Papa passed away. May be it is him. Do not disturb it”. Then I said “ Raja beta ! I am scared”. My DS said “ Maa I am too scared”.I stroked my son’s face helpless face and said don’t worry we will make it thro’. Divine has his own game , we need to play along and not go against it. Let us not ask Why? Why? (though I wanted to) , it is HIS game. Papa is so lucky ,he will have a new leash of life, we are still mending the same life stitching here and there . Explained to him about Sthula sharira (gross body) and Sukhsma sharira (subtle body) and the departure of soul. Then my DS asked me who will pay the bills, I said “ Jaya sharira”.

Thus it was REAL FATHER’S DAY FOR US –21<SUP>ST</SUP> JUNE 09.
    Iam picking back the threads......ofcourse with a sob and tears

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear jay,

my heartfelt condolences dear.....you have made me cry by describing it in such detail.you have relived all the emotions of that day dear and i hope you are feeling slightly better by expressing them.
    yes, the greatest loss is yours ....no doubt about it and only HE can give you the strength to bear it..
    I have always felt it is very very difficult to share someone's grief (and would give anything to do that just now) as it is too personal and like they say ,only time can heal it..
    But as a friend,I am always there for you,jay..I will pray that i get back my friend with all her philosophy,non judgemental attitude and sense of humour ...just LOVE you for those traits.

3. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Oh no Jaya. It is really sad. I am still shivering.May his soul rest in peace. Will pray God to give you and your family strength. No words to console.
    Love,
    Meenakshi

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,

My heart felt condolences to you dearie..actually, it took me a few minutes to wipe away my clouded eyes and assimilate my thoughts to put these few words..as i am very poor when it comes to this...

May MA and your guru give you and your family the strength to tide over this.. only you could share about your ds wrapping a saree along with everything...hugs to you dear...

May his soul rest in peace.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear jaya,
    Really, it was a great shock! I am still not able to believe!! Words cannot describe my true feelings. It is a great loss for you. But you please hold the courage to give support to your DS. May his soul rest in peace!!!
    Though it is a great loss, you must have relieved of that agony by sharing with us. Dear, Let GOD give you the courage to bear the loss!!!! I am not able to express my feelings rather than this.
    with love
    pad

6. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

OMG....I read it openmouthed Jaya and felt the hot tears running down...though I am far way from you but still want to be near you to console you...No words come.... Pray to god for his soul to rest in peace. I pray to the almighty to give you and your DS the strength to bear this loss ma...It is easy to say but I know how it feels. Do come here often so atleast you have a change here....

With you in grief and prayer dear.

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,

You made this ole man cry.What can i say, it is the one who has lost who knows the value .But i must say, u are very brave and coruageous to have come out to blog so soon after yr husbands demise.God will give u the strength to go thru it, and help u pick up the pieces of life.

we are all there with u Jaya, as is God.

But life has to go on, and one cannot wallop in grief for long.Just think, if the spirit of yr husband is watching, what would it like to see, a smiling Jaya, or a crying one, a happy Jaya, who remembers him with a smile, of the lovely times they had, or a crying one, greying and falling sick with sadness.

Thank u sfor sharing this with us, and we are all there for u, dear sister, dont u worry.

Regards

kamal

8. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaya mam

My Hearfelt condolences to you and your DS , iam very very very sorry , iam very weak person in this and i cant control my tears ( actually iam bursting out with cry whikle typing this) i should not write like this, but poor me, iam very weak in this matter , pls dont mistake me

May his soul rest in peace

Mam, we are there for you

9. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,

The news of your DH's sudden demise has disturbed me a lot. Ever since I came to know about that when you replied to my pm, and described the event in greater detail here, I have been troubled.

Suddenly whatever we have learnt, whatever we have earned, whatever has been said and done looks so very trivial before this event.

It is impossible to explain certain things in life. The sudden passing away of an otherwise healthy man is something which we can neither explain or rationalise.

But life has to go on Jaya. I could see that your DS is also disturbed. You are the only source of moral strength for him. And your DH has not "gone" far away. He will be watching things from up above. And I am sure he would be proud of the great strength displayed by you in this hour of inconsolable bereavement.

May your DH's soul rest in peace.

love,
    sridhar

10. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear jaya...
    Its really a great shock... no words can console you...It really a great loss... i dont have any words to write... may his soul rest in peace...
    do take care... hugs...