1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bhabhi will you return my purse please?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

We lived in Dharwar-Karnataka for two years.It was a 600 square meter plot with one small independent house and one apartment with two floors.The independent house was occupied by a retired Railway officer Subramaniam and his family consisted of his wife and an unmarried son Babu, well employed.We occupied the ground floor of the apartment and the first floor was occupied by one Ashok.While we and the Railway officer’s family were inching our way to upper middle class,Ashok was fabulously rich.The family consisted of Ashok,an MBA employed with an MNC and with an affluent pedigree.His wife Meena was also from a rich family.Meena was well educated,good looking and a very sociable person.Her son was two years old and was a good company to my daughter in the same age group.This completed the society in the compound and there was close interaction with food being exchanged regularly on some pretext or other.
    One day, some friends came home and our neighbours also joined the get together.Next morning I looked for the five hundred rupee note to give to my driver for filling in petrol.The money kept in the book shelf in the living room was missing.After searching for some time we came to the conclusion that the note must have fallen down while opening the book shelf and must have been swept away.By that afternoon we discovered that the silver kumkum box left on the dining table after the ladies left the previous day, was also missing.We had a stay in servant maid for the past two years and we were quite happy with her integrity.Sending her on a false pretence, we rummaged through her shoulder bag and felt ashamed when nothing was found in her bag.I told my office attender to playfully open the purse of my driver to see whether it contained a five hundred rupee note.The attender did my bidding and reported that nothing was found.We were perplexed and decided to be careful in future.

On Diwali eve, Ashok had organized a card playing session as people from business community indulged in gambling on this occasion.I was an invitee and joined the party much against my wife’s advice.After two hours of play,suddenly one of the players started shouting that 900 Rupees were missing from the bundle he had kept in front of him while playing.I was on one side and Meena was sitting on the other side of this gentleman.There was quite a commotion and the loser started looking at me suspiciously and unable to bear his stare any longer I almost stripped much to the discomfort of my host.The card game was terminated as no one was in a mood to play in the vitiated atmosphere.When I came home and narrated the incident to my wife. she was disturbed but at the same time had a triumphant look on her face as if to say that this is the price I have to pay for not listening to her advice.

After a fortnight,Babu living in the next house rushed to me and sought my advice on a delicate matter. It appears that when he came out of the bath room in his house he saw Meena pushing his purse left on the T V, into her blouse.After some sweet nothings, Meena had left for her flat.The predicament was how to recover the purse.I went along with him to the first floor and the young man repeated verbatim what I had coached him and said”You have advised me not to keep my purse outside and because I did not listen to you, I know that you have taken my purse to teach me a lesson.I will not do this mistake again-Bhabhi-will you return my purse please?After momentary discomfiture she went inside and handed over the purse to Babu.We heaved a sigh of relief that the situation did not get out of control and my friend was almost in tears when he thanked me for my advice.Incidentally the purse had ten thousand rupees.
    Why did Meena do it?My persistent and discreet enquiries brought out the information that the girl was a kleptomaniac and under counselling by a psychiatrist.When I casually let her father in law know that I was aware of the problem, the gentleman poured out his heart out to me.He said that his DIL had placed the family in such difficult situations that they rarely took her with them while visiting friends.When I told him about the five hundred rupee note and the silver kumkum box, he said not to worry.Next day he gave me the note and the box stating that she had a hiding place and once she hid anything she forgot about it.He also told me that the money lost on the gambling day was found in her kurta pocket next day and returned to the loser with some vague explanation.
    The FIL of the girl gave me some articles to read and my own efforts brought out some information which I will share with you, without becoming technical.
    Kleptomaniac is defined as someone with an irrational urge to steal in the absence of economic need often with no wish to retain the stolen articles.Reports indicate around 4-10%of shoplifting cases in the USA are credited to kleptomaniacs.There is the famous case of an Hollywood actress reportedly stealing 5500$ worth material from a clothing store.There is also the case of a top woman tennis player reportedly confessing to shoplifting a ring ,in her teenage years.Kleptomaniacs are different from shoplifters as the former do it on impulse and have no desire to retain the stolen items.
    Sadly there is indication of a strong correlation between women and kleptomania.The cases are linked to abnormalities in the brain chemical called Serotonin."Indifferent parenting,relationship conflicts and acute stress levels are reported to trigger this tendency".Healthy upbringing,positive and intimate relationship and helping to come out of stressful situations are recommended apart from family counselling and medical help.
    Finally an interesting case of a nine year old boy turning kleptomaniac was reported due to his poor grades and lower “ heirarchial” status in the school.The problem was solved by shifting the boy to a normal school as opposed to an elite school and sympathetic counselling.

Normal human beings turn kleptomaniacs due to a conspiracy of factors both God given and man made.Let us therefore deal with them, if at all we are able to identify them in our circles or neighbourhood, with understanding and sympathy.That is the best way to say thanks to HIM for keeping us as normal human beings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2009
    sindmani, Amma15, Sindhurak and 2 others like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN Sir

Very sad to hear about the lady's case. It must be difficult for her husband and in laws to face the world. When we hear about othes having different kind of health problems we have to say thanks to HIM for keeping us normal. These days suddenly problems arise and we hear of so many health problems. In olden days people were healthy , lived long and people of those days who are still there are so active.

Good post

Regards
    viji

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN sir,
    Really,you have presented a brilliant post narrating your experiences. whenver something is missing in our house or else where, we at once suspect our servan or our subordinates. In you case also, they had a doubt because that lady was rich. kudos to your presence of mind!!! without causing any rupture, you saved the purse with money.
    Kleptomania is distinguished from shoplifting or ordinary theft, as shoplifters and thieves generally steal for monetary value, or associated gains and usually display intent or premeditation, while people with kleptomania are not necessarily contemplating the value of the items they steal or even the theft until they are compelled. Of all reported shoplifting, less than 5% are actually committed by kleptomaniacs.For more information, I googled and got this
    Doctors in the US have been treating diagnosed kleptomaniacs with mood-altering drugs such as Prozac and Seroxat, on the presumption that outbursts could be triggered by changes in the levels of serotonin in the brain, much like depression. Psychological counselling, to get at the underlying causes of unhappiness, is more likely to effect a long-term cure. Discussing the disorders with others with the same condition was also noted to help.Thank you very much sir.
    with love
    pad

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi mama

Your narration style has made this snippet of greater interest to read. Also I admire the nice and discreet manner in which you helped handled this situation.
    :thumbsup

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmiji,

What i understood from this blog, is that u are a very very diplomatic person, and who uses his brains to great advantage to avoid a situation becoing nasty.Hats off to u for the brilliant solution about th e purse.

What a lovely humerous and informative blog.Wish we had more like u in the Foreign Ministry.

Now u are giving me ideas.See it is not too late to learn in life.

With Kasab, since pakistan says he is not their citizen, tell the people of pak and the Govt, that since kasab cant prove he is an indian, so how we treat him is of no conern to them

Tell them we will release the tape of the VT station massacre on the TV channels which will be broadcast all over india and pakistan, for everyone to see what this fellow has done, and let the people of both the countries decide by vote what should be done to him.

If found guilty, by the public, flog him and behead him in the streets, as do the Saudis, for the world to see.

I would then be interested to see what the reaction of the pakis is.

Regards

kamal

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear LN sir,
    Before writing about the post, let me tell you one thing. My dad's name is also LN.
    Wonderful and informative post! :thumbsup to you for handling Babu's case wisely.
    I felt very bad for Meena. Yes, we should really Thank God for being blessed us with good health (physically and mentally). I have never heard about kleptomaniac before and got to know more about this disease. Your post made me think deeply. Thanks!

best regards,

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear LN sir,

i loved the way you handled the situation:thumbsup without making any fuss and worsening it for everyone concerned....that shows you are a very diplomatic person:) no wonder you find yourself holding responsible posts in your society:)

really sad for the kleptos..after all its a disease..more to be p than c....but someone should keep a continuous watch on them..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viji,
    Thanks for the FB.Only when we see persons like Meena we realise that God has been extraordinarily kind to us.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padmini,
    Thanks for the FB .
    Thanks aloso for googling and throwing more light on the subject.I have seen that an unhappy home very often triggers unusual behaviour including kleptomania.The treatment therefore has to begin at home.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thanks for the FB.In a delicate situation like this ,discretion is the better part of valour.I am happy tjat you enjoyed the narration.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN