1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The waning charm of blushing

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 22, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

My father was a handsome man., with the colour of lotus petals,an erudite and distinctive nose and a halo around his face due to hours of prayer and meditation.He however developed sugar and BP problems and being a disciplinarian he completely cut down on sugar and salt.I realized the pitiable nature of his food when one day my mother served food meant for him ,to me.Though he became normal, he continued his frugal saltless sugarless diet.After my third sister’s marriage was over, I served and made him eat the whole range of marriage food[kalyana samayal ]watched in stunned silence by my mother and siblings..When all the ten of us clapped after he finished the meal,he blushed deep and red which is etched in my memory even after 30 years.One year before his final journey I bought a nice pink colour shirt and took him around our street.He looked so handsome blushing all the way through the street.The shirt is preserved by us even after twentyfive years.Whenever I see the shirt I recall the beauty of his blushing.

My mother aged 86 blushed with guilt when I discovered some antacid tablets which I had prohibited her from using,safely tucked away in her surukku pai.She blushed with pride when I discovered thirtysix thousand rupees kept hidden in the saree folds inside her bag and I acknowledged that she was richer than me.Even the blush out of guilt looked charming as did her building a sizeable nest out of the money children and grand children gave her.She had a knack.When they prostrated before her she would bless them and give them fifty Rupees each.In return they would give her between three hundred and five hundred.She would watch my reaction through the corner of her eyes,all the time blushing.I tried this technique and the siblings,nephews and nieces happily pocketed the money and walked away.I blushed because I could not successfully replicate my mother’s technique..
    Being a large family every one got married late.Money was a constraint but was more than made up by fun,frolic and generous levels of blushing.Some times it was so spontaneous and boisterous that it broke the feigned reserve of the grooms family and made them unabashedly join in the fun and blushing .I attended quite a few marriages recently.and was struck by the absence of blushing.The boy and the girl were engaged in matter of fact conversation and there was no sign of blushing except what was transplanted by the beautician.When some pretty girl sings and you compliment her she blushes. This has been replaced by a violent orchestra and the drums leave your ear drums shattered giving very little room for blushing.
    Rudyard Kipling covered blushing in the following lines:
    I cannot control my girlish blush-my colour comes and goes
    I redden my finger tips and some times to my nose
    Blushing is nothing but reddening of the face neck and ears.When some body praises you or you are in caught in an awkward situation you blush and in such a situation avoid eye contact.In earlier films we saw that the heroine blushed and drew all sorts of lines in the beach sand.Today she perches herself on the hero’s waist in an awkward position –I cant say more. I recall some passages in Empress of Blandings by PG.wodehouse while traveling much to the concern of the fellow passengers.This is in absentia blushing..

Blushing is a unique human trait caused by expansion of the capillaries and greater flow of blood.This is the way the responsive nervous system reacts to pleasure,embarrassment etc.Normally young people blush,. more particularly girls because of self consciousness and active nervous system.As we advance in age we become matter of fact for both accolades and abuse.
    Blushing is unique to human beings and in fact can be considered as a conscience keeper and correction mechanism to come back on course.Animals don’t blush as they are not endowed with faculties to differentiate between right and wrong.“When a girl ceases to blush, she has lost the most powerful charm of her beauty.” .Let us revive the waning habit of blushing as the world has lost its beauty and charm when people particularly girls don’t blush.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear LNsir,
    you have beautifully described the waning charm of blushing. When you describe the moments of your parents,
    I visualized and enjoyed the whole scene.But nowwho blushes? even in films, the heroine begins to dance as soon as she sees the hero.Your words brought to my memory, the beautiful actress Savitri, who sang"knni magal nadai payinru chenral, ilam kadhalanai kandu nani ninral".As you say, drawing the circles in the sand are gone. here I want to recollect one poem
    Her beautiful blushing
    Knocked the composition
    Out of my body
    And caused my mind
    To explode into a frenzy. I want your wish to come true.
    with love
    pad

3. sigmabeta

sigmabeta Bronze IL'ite

Such a cute post LN Sir! All those reactions of your parents are described so well.
    In my case, not only does my face, but my ears turn crimson when I blush. People concentrate on my ears and start saying "oh it looks like a hibiscus.. oh she looks like tomato ears" that they forget to notice my blush:biglaugh.
    I enjoyed reading it Sir.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    Blushing of parents is a joy to watch, right..in that matter, you are lucky to watch them blush, either in joy or pride or embarrasment..
    As mostly brides and groom, talk hours over the phone, or internet( before their marriage) the blushing happens too before marriage..:)

Early morning and late evening..blush in the sky..also add charm to this beautiful world, isn't it!

sriniketan

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

yeah this is nice one!! blushing always makes something very mysterious and lovable about a woman.....

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

very cute post,LN Sir...it sure is a waning charm nowadays...like so many other things that are missing in people of today this too,i guess..
    but i just got the pleasure of seeing my 18 year old dd blush when i told all and sundry that i was very happy and proud that she drove me for my shopping yesterday..first time she was driving without my husband..and it sure was a BIG moment for me :)

where in mithila mam..hope she is doing fine health wise..do convey my regards to her

7. Deaf woman

Deaf woman Senior IL'ite

Well said LN sir,I too feel the same about the waning of the blushes in today's youth.Now children are so matter of fact about everything, i feel they never experience the blushes .

8. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear LN mama,

Very nice post on waning charm of blushing....you are so lucky, you had the opportunity to see your parents blushing at one point of time or other, especially at their older age...that is really nice....when you have mentioned about the "suruku pai", it reminds me of my MIL, who always used to collect (like how you have mentioned :)) and keep it in her suruku pai and during last few days of her life journey also she was having that money and her GGD and GGS's used to make fun of that, but she was keeping it hiding from others...i have noticed that blushing and i can really remember that scene...nice post mama... BTW, where is mythili mami? we miss her a lot.....

9. lakshmi05

lakshmi05 Silver IL'ite

Hello sir,

A very nice post on the waning charm of blushing.

You are right that the emotional feeling is waning. But to balance that, some do apply the cosmetic blush to enhance their charm.

Cheers,
    Lakshmi.

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padmini,
    The mere sight of a blush is a picture of beauty.The person need not be slender[ref-Savitri]to make her blush send the beholder into raptures.I am amazed that you remember the lyrics of that lovely song.
    Thanks for the FB.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN