1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I almost thought iam tiger woods

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, May 28, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Oath : I promise that no Divine will be brought in this post, HE/SHE will remain a spectator.

One fine day I decided I am going to play golf , why ? It will be walking exercise, plus social exercise and knowledge exercise.

1) I was in the golf committee ,often taking minutes of the meeting etc & most often I found the committee discussed golf rules and etiquettes and mode of play etc. I used to jot it like a parrot and I used to seek help from other golfers for more details. So I thought why not I play golf and meanwhile learn all golf rules

2) My metabolic disorder ( I blame my weight gain to this) was prompting me to do more physical exercise and paucity of time (well that was my excuse) prevented me from spending long hours in the club. Now with my work that required me to improve my knowledge I thought my walking during the play would be like exercise. Two mangoes in one stone.

3) Then my DH was playing golf and I was always relegated to drivers post after the golf games, ended up driving him from the club. We were 180 degrees apart in everything, while he was born sports man , who excelled in every game while I was always a spectator , would be happy to sit in one corner with my books. I thought again if I play golf I will have some quality time with him resonating on the frequency of golf lingo and their nuances with him. Who says we don’t go out to make life interesting even after decades of marriage?

My objectives being well defined , I sought a golf professional to teach me golf. Must admit it is not cheap to buy a ladies golf set, however ,my DH in his enthusiasm to see DW taking some interest in sports got a golf set. Aesthetic appeal pleased me though I was ignorant the type of clubs I need. Now I needed a golf shoe , & quality is very important and so I coaxed my DH to get me golf shoes from the gift vouchers he had from his winnings golf tournaments. I promised to pay for my lessons and sourced a handsome Caucasian as my golf pro.

Then came my attire, noticed most ladies wore colorful pants and t-shirts with all matching socks and wrist band . I went shopping for those colorful & camouflaging pants that does not show my unsightly bulges. Resorted to darker clothes hoping it will give an appearance of slim jaya and horizontal lines were out from the wardrobe. Then noted most lady golf pros were using shorts, so I went to get a few shorts for the play, somehow I noticed my DH was jeering at my bow legs. I knew I can’t do anything abt my legs and cellulites orange peel can’t be hidden as it was revealing my age.

Now that I was settled with attire, I wanted a visor or cap to match my attire. Then again a hole in my purse to find the matching, floral and maximum shaded caps. Few varieties were added to my collections.

I knew I have to buy sun block to protect from the sun uv rays & all those articles abt how the sun rays are harmful were disturbing me. Shd it be SPF 15 or 30 , I was going for the maximum number hoping it will protect me from suntan. If the shop keeper had said it is 100 I would have blindly bought it.

Suddenly I got anxious of my hands, the callous that will be formed, there ladies gloves in pastel shades were available for both the hands, duly I needed to purchase few sets as it has to match my attire.

Now that I had a beautiful golf set, ensured that golf bag looked feminine and my attire well matching though not to my abilities, a cap to go with, sun block generously spread out my face and hand, imagining that I am going to be another Tiger woods in making went for my first lessons.

The golf pro had very pleasant manners coupled with charm and wit and quick to put me at ease. Even though he knew my inability in sports he kept praising me at my feeble attempts. As he wanted to gauge my stroke to hit the ball, he said : “Jaya , take the club no.7 and address the ball first, and then take a swing and hit , then I will know how many classes you need”?
    I mentally said “as many classes you want I am ready”.

Well I thought I followed his instructions, I raised the club ,took a back swing and hit the ball imaging it is going to fly like a bird and drop at 200 m far. I looked up I didn’t see any ball flying, assumed my eye sight is failing, waited for the ball dropping, I could hardly see it falling on to the grass.

My pro said “ Jaya the ball is still in front of you, you have hit the ground instead of ball and you have taken out a chunk of grass leaving a divot”.

I said “ Did I miss the ball?”.

He said “ you have not connected the club to the ball, how do you expect to lift the ball”?
    As he was giving me further instruction, he told “ Jaya to get a good distance as you raise your clubs shift your weight to the left and when you hit the ball shift the weight to your right and get the momentum.

I said “ Shift weight , I only know abt gaining weight”. Few more attempts to hit the ball turned futile, I suppose the ball decided to be in its equilibrium.

Holding back my tears I said “so many tasks to be considered before hitting, I am sorry I thought I can hit the ball and we may have time to sing a song too just like in movies”.

His glare was sufficient to silence me, the sweet charming guy suddenly vanished into thin air. Then I noticed my pro wasn’t as handsome as I imagined him to be.

My DH was waiting for me in the club as I reached him from my fiasco in the driving range , he asked me how did the lessons go. I said in disdain manner, "the Pro is not very good in teaching , I will wait for the new pro to come".

Jaya

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dearjaya,
    What a hilarious post!!! I was literally laughing and my DH, gave a suspicious look!! I know golf only in movies and in hindi serials. I see golf when heroes play and hit the ball correctly, heroine clapping, there love blooms!!but here the ball refused to move an inch, how dare it is ! probably, it does not know that our jaya is hitting! your last statement reminded me of one saying, "Aada theriyadhavalukku koodam konalam". ( just kidding)that is why to look slim , i always fallow my theory
    hehehehe. your narration made me laugh throught the post.
    with love
    pad

3. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaya,

Enjoyed your post.. It happens with so many of us..I also make different kinds of plans, sometime weight loosing, sometime yoga, sometime morning walk, sometime Gym and before anything sets actually, I have to have all the tits- bits needed for it and then can't stick to my plan for even a month..Because of this my DH doesn't take my plans seriously now..

Your first lesson was a humorous situation...

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Priya Atma-sakhi, Jaya...

This one is just too good, my vocabulary seems woefully inadequate to express the various emotions I experienced as I read each line of this absolutely rib-tickling post...

Loved the bit about the handsome Caucasan (hunk?) and the shopping extravaganza to be kitted out as befits a golf-pro... hmmm, I never imagined that it would take so many items to be suitably kitted out for a day out on the greens! Not to mention the golf-lingo that is mind-boggling... will wait for your next episode on golf-lessons and the birdies you hit and the hole-in-one etc...

All in all, this lifted me out of the rather sombre mood I seemd to have developed after a disastrous morning...

Thanks for dispelling my gloom... my dear Atma-sakhi,

Jai Bhavani Maa!

Love,
    Padma

5. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

Jaya Ma'am,
    I so enjoyed your snippet on golf! Well I do the same thing, take to a book, while my hubby and son play golf. But have tried minigolf and it's so much fun. Also, on WiiGolf, I am always the winner. I think I should take up golf too, after all, I'll get an excuse to shop. The below lines had me in splits........hahahaaa.

I went shopping for those colorful & camouflaging pants that does not show my unsightly bulges. Resorted to darker clothes hoping it will give an appearance of slim jaya and horizontal lines were out from the wardrobe.Then noted most lady golf pros were using shorts, so I went to get a few shorts for the play, somehow I noticed my DH was jeering at my bow legs. I knew I can’t do anything abt my legs and cellulites orange peel can’t be hidden as it was revealing my age.

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

DearrrrrrrrrJayma,

This is ssoooooooooooooooo hilariousssssss.... Loved your experience err struggle with the club..heheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee OMG ..I cant seem to stop laughing....

Yeah Jayma youre right...the pro is bad, we shall wait for the next one...you better dont even think of quitting, not after all those purchases:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh:biglaugh

Love,
    Devi Mol

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya
    Your tryst with golf has become as famous as Nehru's tryst with destiny the only difference being yours is eminently laughable while Nehru's was eminently 'cryable'! I guess that you had conceived golf to be a game where an innocent white ball (they now come in colours too to add to the romance!) is driven all over a sprawling course with a huge contraption which is rightfully called a 'club'. I'll not blame you for such an opinion because that's what Saroja Devi and MGR did followed by a song as you have correctly lamented.

I once tried my hand too in golf and my very first attempt was disastrous. Not knowing that the club would weigh heavier than Bhima's mace, I swung it wildly and it fell behind me while I fell forward! Thereafter, I prefer sitting at the golf course with a chilled beer watching my old cronies toiling at it. Being a fan of Wodehouse, I have developed a great love for this game and its 'left-right' nuances. Quite a few of my friends have ploughed the golf course with their clubs instead of hitting the elusive ball!

A great piece of writing Jaya!
    Sri

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

My dearest Jaya,

i loved your post it was so hilarous i laughed so much till my stomach hurt. My BF is a golfer and he golfs everyday in the morning, so i told him darling i want to learn golf too so we can golf together he told me honey its not a problem you can use my old kit and i will use my new that i just bought, then i told him honey i need golfing attire he told me honey you need to wear shorts and i told him are you out of your mind if i wear shorts and start to walk my thighs will brush against each other and my hips will start swaying up and down.
    So he laughed and i just gave him those I WANT TO KILL YOU LOOKS

love
    alpa:cheers

9. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Dear jaya,
    Hilarious description.I sincerely hope that you find another pro and become a true Tigerwoods.Every time i pass by the golf club and watch people play,i think whats so exciting about this game..the only thing that excites me is the open vehicle that is used for transport.

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Jaya my dear friend

Your embarking on these golf lessons and thereby setting forth on an adventure of sorts has made for some fabulous reading!

Your narration has taken me on a golf fantasy what with the handsome instructor, the fancy clothes, the shorts along with the veins in display..I admire the way you have explained being horizontally challenged.

Whether or not we successfully complete these sports it never prevents us Women from getting all geared up.

I am also guilty of launching onto some sport or other and making much ado about wearing clothing synchronised with the latest in fashion trends!

Now that I have read this awesome expedition of yours I am beginning to think I should follow on your footsteps and manage to get all designer clothes and accessories and for a moment bask in the imagination that I am Michelle Wie !:)

Here is something:)

A golfer was in big trouble when he forgot
    his wedding anniversary.

His wife told him; "Tomorrow there better
    be something in the driveway for me that goes
    zero to 200 in 2 seconds flat".

The next morning the wife found a small package
    in the driveway. She opened it and found a
    brand new bathroom scale.

Funeral arrangements for the husband have been
    set for Saturday at his favorite golf course.