1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I’ve been promoted!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, May 23, 2009.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

I’ve been promoted!

The doorbell rang sharply as if the caller’s finger was stuck to the button. It was my friend Gita from the next block, she had a huge smile on her face and a box of chocolates in her hand.

‘Sundar got the post. It’a a big jump’, she burst in, before I could hazard a guess.‘Do you remember, he was interviewed along with several others and felt he did not stand a chance?’

Gita chatted for a while about the tensions and hopes when Sundar’s name was short-listed, their ardent prayers when Sundar was called one more time for a meeting with the top management… and their joy on receiving the news of the ‘promotion’.

The word ‘Promotion’ set me thinking. A clinical definition of the word that applies to this particular situation is ‘Job advance, with higher level of pay and responsibility’. The word takes on a very different meaning in another context, ‘Selling techniques, including advertising, printing and salesperson commissions’.

It suddenly struck me that promotions are not the sole prerogative of those who are in a job. I too have had several promotions! No, I am not talking of a ‘double promotion’ in school!

I was elevated to the rank of an elder sister after the birth of my two siblings. Marriage took me to another level, that of a wife and a daughter-in-law, followed by the endearing ‘amma’ and the joys of motherhood. As time went by, manni, athai, chithi, mami and other relationships seemed to draw us together within the folds of a close-knit family.

‘Aunty’… Who, me? Yes indeed, they’re addressing me! I realised how quickly time had gone by when my son’s class-mates and later on, his college friends called me Aunty. And I knew that I was really getting on in years when even young married couples thought it fit to call me Aunty-ji!!!

Well, sooner or later, one is upgraded to the ‘Mother-in-law’ status, and the wonderful experience of being ‘Amma' to another sweet soul who has come to renew her ties with us in this birth…

The best promotion of all is the ‘High’ of waiting for the imminent arrival of a grand-child….and the ecstasy of attaining the exhalted position of a grand-parent… oh, the incomparable bliss of holding a tiny being in one’s arms…

Well, every stage of one’s life is a natural progression, a move upwards, a ‘promotion’ that is guided by an unseen Hand….

PS: How can we forget the cherished ‘promotions’ in IL, from a New ILite to a Junior, Senior, Silver, Gold, Platinum ILite till we reach the IL Hall of Fame…

Dear friends ILites, please come and share the ‘Promotions’ in your life with us…

Padma Srinivas

Last edited: May 23, 2009

2. kolli143

kolli143 Senior IL'ite

Dear padma, I enjoyed reading the true meaning of promotion in your post. I best promotion so far in my life came 1 yr ago when I went from being a wife, daughter, dil and sister to a mother. Wow thats a wonderful feeling.
    And true we cannot forget the IL promotions either :)
    Cheers!

3. Padmasrinivas

Dear Swathi,

Thanks for being the first one with a fb, dear.

It feels great to see that we share similar feelings, specially on promotions in life (and in IL)!

Thanks so much,

LnBBHs,
    Padma

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    Wow dear enjoyed reading your post, not only the one with job gets promotions but even the housewife's get promoted, you are absolutely right, sister, wife, bhabhi, mother, MIL, Grand mom these too are promotions of our life.
    How can we forget the IL promotions, i atleast got demoted too here when there were changes in IL...........hehehe
    But it is always fun with IL promotions we get such lovely wishes from our dear friends here. If not for bhabhi, MIL and granny and all....haha
    Enjoyed reading your post Padma.

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma
    What a wonderful thread this is!
    There is a very strong message in this thread that whatever happens in our life must be seen as a 'promotion' or a step forward. If everything is seen in such a perspective, where is the question of sulking over anything in our life? You have just poured your heart out in this thread about how the world that grew around you started calling you by different names and how each of those names gave you singular pleasure. We may worship her with a thousand names but Lalitha is one and the same.

Having said this, I must admit that it may not be easy to perceive certain happenings in our life as a promotion or progressive but when we analyse our life thus far, we may see that certain apparently unpalatable incidents in our life have given us a different kind of reward. They made us chastened, they gave us greater strength and they increased our determination. Those incidents must be looked upon as similar to the process of purifying gold with fire.
    Sri

6. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear Padma,
    from the mentioning of the word office promotion, only you can draw such a lovely painting with so many colors.You are correct. From a daughter to grandma, so many promotions. I also used to think in office they call these promotions what word we can coin to these promotions? Shall we name it domestic promotions. Not only we are getting promoted, we also grow within ourselves for each promotion. when we become MIL, we learn the art of balancing and understanding so we get the promotion of "GOOD MIL". Am i correct? I do not want to bore you by writing all i feel. A nice post.
    with love
    pad

7. Padmasrinivas

Dear Aruna,

So sweet of you to stop by and post such an amusing fb, Aruna dear!

There are so many stages and events in one's life, some happy, some not so pleasant... and if they bring about a positive change in our life, we must consider them as promotions, am I right?

IL is a fun place where our 'promotions' take on am extra-special significance!

Thank you dear Aruna, for sharing your thoughts here,

LnBBHs,
    Padma

8. Padmasrinivas

Dear Cheeniya sir,

I know my post has 'arrived' when you come in to share your erudite thoughts in your inimitable style. I cannot seem to find the right words to express my delight on reading your first few sentences, thank you so much, Cheeniya sir.

The best advice I ever got was to treat every event in life as a learning experience, raising us to another level of awareness, a promotion, as we endeavour to attain the highest level, the goal of Realisation....Lalitha MahaTripurasundari...

"the process of purifying gold with fire"

....as you have summed it up so aptly ....

Thank you once again, Cheeniya sir

Warm regards,
    Padma

9. Padmasrinivas

Dear Padmini,

Overjoyed to see you here, adding your invaluable insights which give a deeper look into the subject, and I quote...

Not only we are getting promoted, we also grow within ourselves for each promotion. when we become MIL, we learn the art of balancing and understanding so we get the promotion of "GOOD MIL".

You are 100% right, as we the grow with the 'domestic promotions', both outside (older) and within ourselves (wiser), we are slowly inching towards the pinnacle of the purpose of life...

Pad dear, how can I be bored reading when you write such gems of wisdom!

Thank you for your enlivening presence, my dear friend,

Love,
    Padma

10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dearest Padma,

From the clinical definition of promotion to its colorful definition in life , you have delivered another masterpiece of yours with simple , elegant and mesmerizing use of language.

I could not help but slow for a minute pondering the splendid way you wield your pen to produce excellent phrases like 'prerogative of those who are in a job','ecstasy of attaining the exalted position' etc.

Wow what can be said about the content of the post , with cleverful mastery of written skills you have made this analogy quite an interesting read.Loved the way you took a curvature from corporate world to the domestic world in your thoughts and analysed the similarities.

Sounds cliched, but truely one that will outshine your other posts in IL for a long time.Well this post has just been promoted with a star :)

Last edited: May 24, 2009