1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Truth

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhiku, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

I remembered the famous line from the movie A Few Good Men
    “I want the truth and nothing but the truth” Tom Cruise
    “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!” Jack Nicholson

For the most part I find the above statement to be true, we all talk about being honest and truthful but can we really handle the truth? For some great souls always telling the truth is as much a part of life as breathing or sleeping but for the rest of us telling the truth is a complex thing, we have to take into account several factors. If I tell the truth how would I be looked at? How would it affect the other person, would it hurt his/her feelings? Probably the biggest question is ‘How will this affect me?’

My son, like any 4 year old is a super-hero worshipper and he wants to grow up quickly like Spiderman or Superman, he constantly asks “When will I get as tall as Spiderman?”

I use this to get him to do the right thing “You will stop growing if you – Watch too much TV, Eat too many candies, Jump on the bed, Don’t listen to your parents, etc”
    The truth is none of these things will help or hurt his growth process, yet I take solace in the fact that this lie is helping him acquire good habits that will help him in the long run.

This happened to a couple I know, the wife lost her job and was unsuccessful at finding another job for a long time, this failure made her bitter, she took up drinking, gained a lot of weight, hardly spent quality time with the kids and was not there for her husband. One day they found out their neighbor couple were getting divorced
    Wife “Wow they appeared to be the perfect couple. I am sorry if I have not been myself recently but we need to keep the line of communications open, tell me are you happy with me? Is anything about me that is bothering you?”
    Husband “Of course I am happy, if anything I love you more now than when we were dating”
    Wife “I am sorry I am not myself recently – you probably hate me”
    Husband “Look all I know is if I were in your position you would have done all this for me and much more”
    The husband could have told the truth but he figured at that moment she needed more of an ego boost than reality check.

Praising cooking of someone who is learning cooking, giving encouragement to someone who is down on luck, etc. are times when we are not completely honest but the lie helps boost the morale of the other person.

Of course not all lies are good, in fact most of them are not good. Truth can be twisted and manipulated for personal gains. So then this raises a question, what is the absolute truth?

For me there is only one truth – and it resides in me, call it my inner self or my conscience – that is the whole truth. I can manipulate everyone but I can’t fool myself. Of course there is God and he knows it all as well. My actions are for me to take and for God to judge. “Be true to yourself” is the only, the complete and the ultimate truth for me.
    To me the litmus test is facing myself, I can rationalize my actions to others, I can con them in giving me approval or receive fake pity but when facing myself there is no masking, I am stripped of all fake things and justifications and I become my own judge.
    In the higher court or court of God my actions will be judged, rewarded and punished at a later date but my conscience will judge me instantly and constantly.

I might be a hero in the eyes of strangers if I climb a tree or a pole to get back the lost kite of a crying child but the truth would look down on me if I did that just to get close and flirt with the mother.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Sir,

What a truthful blog!!

Its lovely to read about you hearing your inner conscious and your morals and principles of life. You can live life with integrity and look in the mirror without flinching.

Great blog Sir,a lot to learn from here.

Regards,
    Mrs. Menon.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  3. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Menon
    May God bless you for those lovely comments. As human beings we all have a lot to learn from each other, men for example has to learn the meaning of love and sacrifice from women.

4. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

Excellent blog, sir! Truly introspective and definitely a food for thought. Small lies as told in the blog for the good of others, is not a crime. But being manipulative and lying for personal selfish reasons should be avoided. The only way to live a clean life and accumulate good karma is not only by being truthful and harmless in actions, but also in words and thoughts. Loved your blog, especially the lines about personal responsibility for our own concience.

Best,
    CarpeDiem

5. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Lovely blog.

A lie which can do something good for others in not a lie. But a lie to yourself is the biggest harm that we can do to ourselves. Initially we may feel good for sometime but when it wears out the guilt feeling is even more.

6. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Dear CarpeDiem : Thanks for the visit and comment. You are right that not just action but thoughts are important and our thoughts are known to us only so practicing truth there is very important.

7. Bhiku

Bhiku Senior IL'ite

Roopa : Thanks! What you are saying is true, we start by saying a lie for the good of others but soon we use it for personal gains and that is when it gets tricky.

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi BM,

lovely blog, though different from your usual ones.. ..actually saw it yesterday but since it was not on humour thought fb could wait:)

agree to what you and others have said..white lies to make others happy or give them an ego boost is fine but not to the extent of being a complete fake person...oh some of them get on my nerves doing that..

hey, your son is too cute... still in that hero worship stage,huh?

I might be a hero in the eyes of strangers if I climb a tree or a pole to get back the lost kite of a crying child but the truth would look down on me if I did that just to get close and flirt with the mother.

but you know what bhikhu,if YOU did that i would surely think it had something to do with the mother...hahaha

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. Aabha

Aabha Silver IL'ite

:wow
    They are the real thoughts...sensible and so practical....
    If a lie can give happiness to others than it is better than one bitter truth....
    You have easily justified Lie in comparison to truth....

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhikubhai,

Sorry i am late to read this lovely blog.

To tell u the truth i was not myself since the last few days.Big Laugh

and the last line was too good.Flirting with the mother eh !HAHA

I see u are truning into a philosopher,these days, u are greying , sorry balding, and that is the way it should be.I should not have disclosed the truth , i should hjave told a lie.HAHA

Agreed, that we have to face our own consience, and the husband wife example was damn good.

Superb.Regards

kamal