1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kani Konna – Kanaka-Dhaara

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Padmasrinivas, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Kani Konna – Kanaka-Dhaara

The delicate golden-yellow cascade that covers the branches of the slender young tree is truly a delight to behold. Vishu is round the corner and my friends Parvathy and Ammu have been waiting for the Kani Konna trees to blossom. They have been planning the ritual of ‘Kani Kanal’, consisting of the golden Konna flowers, raw rice, golden cucumber, betel leaves, areca nuts, coins and gold jewels, a copy of ‘Narayaneeyam’, placed in the bell-metal uruli and viewed through the large mirror, the Nilavilakku is also ready along with a cute idol of Lord Krishna. In spite of many reassurances that I have seen the golden shower in bloom en route <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Mysore</st1:place></st1:City> as well as here, in our very own Bengaluru, they are not convinced! ‘How can we celebrate Vishu without the auspicious regional flower of Kerala, the Vishukkani will be incomplete!’

The golden shower of the Cassia fistula brings another picture to my mind – the golden rain of the Amla fruits bestowed on the Brahmin lady by the Goddess Lakshmi, when Adi Sri Shankaracharya intercedes on her behalf and recites the Kanakadhara Stothram.

Goddess Lakshmi is usually depicted as a beautiful lady with a golden complexion, sitting or standing on a lotus and holding lotuses that symbolise beauty, purity and fertility. Her four hands represent the four tenets of Dharma, righteousness, <st1:place>Kama</st1:place>, desires, Artha, wealth and Moksha, liberation or release from Samsara, the cycle of Jananam, Maranam and Punarjananam. Gold coins fall in a never-ending cascade from Her Divine Hand. Lakshmi, from the Sanskrit ‘Lakshya’, ‘aim’ or ‘goal’, the Goddess of both material and spiritual wealth. The two elephants spraying water on Her signify that ceaseless effort with dharma and jnyana will lead to spiritual prosperity.

In addition to the twenty-two slokas of the Kanakadhara Stothram said to have been recited by Adi Sankaracarya, three slokas have been found in ancient palmyra leaves. Brahmasri Bhutapuri Subrahmanya Sarma has been instrumental in bringing them to one’s notice. I quote one slokam as it corroborates the Golden Shower…

Bilvatavi Madhya lasatsaroje
    Sahasra patre sukhi sannivistam |
    Astapadambhuruha panipadmam
    Suvarna Varnam pranamami lakshmeem ||

Bilvatavi madhye = In the middle of bilva garden; Sahasra patre = with thousand petals; Lasat = emitting light; saroje = In the lotus; sukha sannivistam = Sitting happily; Astapadam bhuruha = The eight petalled golden lotus flower; panipadmam = lotus like hands, holding them; suvarna varnam = having golden hue colour; lakshmim = OH! Rama Devi (the wife of Visnu); pranamami = Salutations to you.

OH! Sri Maha Lakshmi who is adorning in the middle of the thousand petalled lotus in Bilva Vana, Holding Golden Lotuses in her hand, possessing golden hue colour. To her my Salutations.

Golden yellow has many other associations.
    In Hinduism, yellow is the symbolic representation of the third Chakra, the Manipuraka (the Solar plexus) Chakra.

In Greek mythology, Jason and the Argonauts went forth to seek the Golden Fleece. King Midas, of the ‘Midas touch’ fame, realised that it was more a curse than a blessing, after he turned his beloved daughter to gold, until Dionysus came to his help and cured him!

Golden yellow represents the warmth of the sun, a colour that provides a bright and cheerful feeling as well as a somber, traditional, and religious aura. Golden yellow is the colour halfway between amber and red. Perhaps this is the reason why Goddess Lakshmi always wears a gold embroidered red saree.

The ancient Maya civilization associated golden yellow with the Southern direction.

Golden Yellow denotes ‘precious’ as the metal Gold or ‘ripe’ as the colour of the harvesting season, be it golden wheat, corn or paddy.

Fortunate are those couples who get to celebrate their ‘Golden Anniversary‘, people of my generation may remember movies that celebrated a Golden Jubilee!

I am sure we have many ILites from the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Golden</st1:placeName><st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place> of <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State> where the Golden Poppy is the official state flower!

Padma Srinivas

Attached Files:

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma

I wanted to give the first fb. But I am not able to read it as you have typed in yellow. I can understand that u have written on kani poo.
    Happy Vishu in advance to you. I might take time to read it. So I will come back.

love
    viji

3. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Ma Chere RS,

Well if someone can do justice to such posts, its you. The language the information are all par excellence.

I loved the way you have described Ma Lakshmi. And the golden letters truly added glow to the blog.

Kannipoo that is so much in demand during Vishu.We look forward to adorning our homes with those beautiful flowers.

Fantastic blog RS... And a glorious Vishu to you and yours!!

Lots of Love n BBhs,
    Devs

4. Padmasrinivas

Dear Viji,

Thank you for doing the 'boni'!

I'm waiting eagerly for your additions/comments..

Wishing you and your family a Happy Vishu!

JAi Bhavani Maa!
    LnBBHs,
    Padma

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. Padmasrinivas

Devs, ma belle Virtuose!

Merci! Merci beaucoup!

I'm sure all those who celebrate Vishu/Bihu/Baisakhi... will know the significance of the offerings to Maa Lakshmi for a wonderful new year!

Here too, we're getting everything ready for the Kani Kanal.

Happy Vishu to you and your family from all of us at home here!

LnBBHs,
    Your RS

6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Dear padma,
    Only you have the mastery of language and expression.
    You have mastered the essence of yellow in all dimension. The caption captures the attention of readers. Anything i say will be insufficient to your knowledge and style.

Namosuthu padma srinivase
    Namosuthu mitre sahodari

Jaya

7. Padmasrinivas

My Dear Mitra Sahodari Jaya,

Namosthu will be mutual and reciprocal here,
    Humbly, as our two Atmas salute each other,
    Ever long have i known you and in you a peer,
    Tho 'tis but now we meet, by the Grace of our dear Mother!

All one has is what is bestowed by Her!
    She is the Thought, the Word and the Deed,
    When one accepts this Truth, always and forever,
    Salvation awaits, from rebirths is one freed!

Your words have made me break out into verse, something that has been beyond my scope...

Jaya dear, your fbs and value-additions send me on a high, as always.

Jai Bhavani Maa!

LnBBHs,
    Padma

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Padma

This is a really special tradition in our family.. The experience of Vishu. For us it carries into our minds gentle reminders of our late great grandparents and then grandparetns and then our ancestral home.
    We continue this tradition today though I have come to reuse the precious coins given from before.
    We have this wonderful yellow flower here called the Forsythia and I am going to try to attach a picture for you. This heralds the arrival of spring here and is always in time for Vishu.

Happy Vishu to you and yours:)

"Any man can turn the sun into a yellow ball. Ah, but to turn a yellow ball into the sun!”—Pablo Picasso

Attached Files:

9. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Dear Padma mam,
    [justify]Thanks for bringing out the beauty of kanikonna & co-relating it with Kanakadhara.Kanikonna is always a treat to the eyes & mind.Vishu,kanikonna,kaniorukkal,kanikanal,kaineettam are all fond memories.In this part of the world Iam trying my best to recreate the Vishu kani with some yellow flowers.I remember a story which described that the Kanikonna flowers were originally the aramani(an ornament worn around the hip..jingles... ) which adorned Unnikannan.[/justify]Here is my Vishukani for you ...Happy Vishu!

[​IMG]Photo courtesy:Kerala tourism

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  10. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

My dear Chitus,
    Those pics are wonderful dear...Happy Vishu!