1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I fell in love with them, believe me you would do!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

The 5<SUP>th</SUP> of April was a much anticipated day… I was absolutely charged with the prospect of meeting these wonderful people.

They arrived just in time 15 of them accompanied by their founder, headmaster , craft teachers and their trainer….

All of them so beautiful with absolutely divine smiles. If you need to know the true meaning of life, be with them……. Life is never more beautiful

I had organized a cultural programme for these kiddos along with an exhibition of mine.

I took them to the rooms to get ready. All of them waiting to perform……

The first dance was a diya dance .....Please have a closer look at the pic below. These kids are performing the diya dance on skates.

[​IMG]

This is a solo dance by Karishma. Yeh yakinan khudrat ka karishma hain! An absolute miracle…

[​IMG]

This is a dandiya dance performed on Thali.. All of them so beautifully dressed.

[​IMG]

A mask dance by the Roadies. This is a group from our place that helped in road shows in providing the publicity for the event.. Sweet chaps. God bless them for their unconditional help…. Its great to see the sync in which these guys performed. I love them for being so selfless at such a young age. I guess we can look for a great future with these guys around.

[​IMG]

A very important note. All the students that are seen above except the roadies are blind.
    This was a promotionary campaign by ‘Virtuosos’ my firm in providing awareness about this blind institute. Not a single person left the hall without tears in their eyes. Can you believe that these blind kids actually lit up our lives with their brilliance and their zest for living. We have all our senses intact and still crib about life and here they are holding diyas having no idea about its luminance yet illuminating our life with their smiles.

Hats off to this team. The founder, Mrs. Suhasini Manjrekar,(she has devoted 55 years of her life to this cause), their trainer, their craft teachers, the headmaster…..

Loved the day. One of my best . I learnt that sometimes true knowledge comes from unknown quarters.

My day was so beautifully spent!! We promised to meet again soon. I want to do so much for them . I sincerely hope I can do all I can for their welfare.

I fell in love with them . Believe me if you were there you would have too:)

Love,
    Devika

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

2. SiriVeda

SiriVeda Silver IL'ite

Dear Devika,

May god bless these children :bowdown Hope they will achieve great success in their lives and would never consider themselves inferior to any other human being.

It was really nice of you to arrange such a program. May god bless you and help you with your goal :thumbsup

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear dear Devika,
    I read your marvelous post,I saw he photos and I did fall in love with them.BUT BEFORE DOING SO I must tell you,that i simply adore you.Your firm is doing an excellent job and you are great.

Sure these kids have lit lights in our hearts,whenever I feel depressed about something,whenever I moan and groan about my health problems,I just have to read your thread and look at these divine kids.Thats all that is my medicine.If these lovely kids can smile dance and bring cheer in our lives even hough God has deprived them of their sight,do we have a right to complain about anything?

My regards to Mrs.Suhasini Manjrkar,the noble soul.

Iam deeply moved Devika,Iam happy that I read the thread now before going to bed.Tonight God will come in my dreams and smile,because tonight there are absolutely no complaints in me.I pray for these children,God should always be with them.
    Iam particularly grateful to you for entering this fine post,which definitely has made a change in me.
    love
    mithila kannan

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mole,
    Beauty is as beauty does. You have proved that your heart and feelings are as beautiful or perhaps more than how you are.
    You have proved how you are than how you look. This post has made me so emotional and I pray god be with you and yours.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Devi Mol,
    Marvellous. Blind see thro their mind's eye while we thro physical eyes. The depth of sight thro mind's eye far accurate and clear than physical eyes. Even today i wonder how Surdas was able to so accurate details.

The beauty of our face we cannot see unless we carry a mirror, imagine we can't do anything when we look at the mirror. But for the blind they carry a beautiful mind which needs no mirror and can be experienced by themselves and others . This mind sees far, experiences the world ,they are such lovely people.
    Thanks for making us realize that we shd be gratefull to the divine and also my mol who is doing a big role here.

The Blind Boy

By Colley Cibber

My day or night myself I make
    Whene’er I sleep or play;
    And could I ever keep awake
    With me ’twere always day.

With heavy sighs I often hear
    You mourn my hapless woe;
    But sure with patience I can bear
    A loss I ne’er can know.
    Then let not what I cannot have
    My cheer of mind destroy:
    Whilst thus I sing, I am a king,
    Although a poor blind boy.

Jaya,
    p.s: noted the cute Niev

6. Bujji

Bujji Bronze IL'ite

Dear Devika

How true your words are !!

"We have all our senses intact and still crib about life and here they are holding diyas having no idea about its luminance yet illuminating our life with their smiles."

May God be with them throughout their life.
    My hats off to Mrs.Suhasini. It is so great of her to dedicate 55 years of her life.

7. uncannybal

uncannybal Senior IL'ite

Dear Devika

What a lovely program ! Having performed on stage myself I can say that the feeling of getting an appreciative audience is a thrilling experience. These kids must have felt the immense joy of performing to an audience and just like for any performer, it gives a confidence and sense of self worth that is unbeatable. Kudos to you for giving them this opportunity !

Lots of love
    Santosh

8. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Ma Belle Virtuose!

I shall carry a smile in my heart tonight as i go to NidraDevi's realms!

Simply superb, I'm speechless with admiration at your feats...

Reminded me of a theme-based BharataNatyam recital by a group of visually challenged boys and girls in Bangalore about 4 or 5 years ago. They mirrored all the expressions of Rama and Sita and the other characters so well, it was difficult to imagine, i think the all-seeing inner-eye helped in their perceptions...Subsequently, they were invited to perform abroad too!

I :bowdown to your innovative ideas and spell-binding posts, Devs dear,

Jai Bhavani Maa!

LnBBHs,
    your RS

9. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Devika dear,

Such a heart touching and heart warming post!

I could not agree more with you about the heady positive influence such people leave on us. I have seen the blind at very very close quarters on a daily basis and I have to totally agree with you on your observation that we learn some crucial lessons on how to live life from these blessed people. Their enthusiasm and their zest to learn is amazing. After seeing the way they operate there is really no room for any of us normal people to crib about anything in our life.

If people like us can do whatever little we can to be that encouraging and supporting friend to them in any which way we can, we surely should.

I once heard an interview of a well known and well placed blind person in Mumbai talk about how even the successful ones like him have their low and frustrating days. Days when their blindless seems like an unsurmountable hurdle. He said that even on those days we try to put a brave front, be cheerful and do not show our dark mood to even our close ones because we detest being sympathized with. I had heard this interview more than 15 years ago but these lines that he said have never left me. I translated these lines from him as - it is probably much much harder for people with disabilities to ask for that much needed help and support that they may need because most people already look at them with sympathy and pity (well meant of course, but it still hurts them) and hence they do not want anymore of it.

Given the above, I think it becomes all the more important for people like you and I to give them that support sans sympathy.

Great job buddy!

Luv,
    SS

10. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor even touched, but just felt in the heart."
    - Helen Keller, 1891

Devika dear

You have an excellent command over language proved without any doubt by your incredible poems that I felt like reading your poem from your heart reading this noble snippet of yours.
    Your words...

"All of them so beautiful with absolutely divine smiles. If you need to know the true meaning of life, be with them……. Life is never more beautiful..."
    " Its great to see the sync in which these guys performed. I love them for being so selfless at such a young age. I guess we can look for a great future with these guys around"...

I can only say that you took me there and I felt I was watching the diya dance on skates and the absolute wonderful synchronocity among their movements.

Your words here are worth their weight in gold and more!

" Can you believe that these blind kids actually lit up our lives with their brilliance and their zest for living. We have all our senses intact and still crib about life and here they are holding diyas having no idea about its luminance yet illuminating our life with their smiles."

I cannot end without comment on your adorable avatar whom I assume is your beautiful daughter. If it is her thenshe has certainly grown tall!

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos and your words are still ringing in my ears. God bless you:)

"The chief handicap of the blind is not blindness, but the attitude of seeing people towards them."
    - Helen Keller, 1925

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009